Have You Ever Dated Your Best (Opposite Gender) Friend?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hey Everybody,

I hear lots of advice from older Christians to "marry your best friend." Although I've had lots of guy friends, I've never dated them, for various reasons (most often, any romantic attraction wasn't mutual... whether on his part or on mine)... so... I was wondering...

What about any of you out there who HAVE dated your (opposite gender) best friend, or at least a very close friend of the opposite gender?

How did it turn out, and what is YOUR take on this "age old" piece of dating advice?

G

goth4god

well I did
It was an online thing tho so it might be a bit diff.
but we dated online for about 6months, then we both decided it wasnt what God wanted so the breakup was mutual.
we talked for a bit after that and then he found a new girl who he is now engaged to. we still talk occasionally, but deff not like before.

T

Taelin

I've done it before... I dated my best friend for a couple of months... but we had too many differences cause he's not Christian and we want different things out of life. Altho he's stil one of my bestest friends... Dating him though has brought us closer in a friendship sense, and I'm thankful for that, and I stil love him to bits :)

C

christiancollegegirl

My first boyfriend was my best friend. We dated on and off for about 3 years. We were even engaged at one point, and things didn't work out that way and we broke up again. He's still my friend, but we're not as close as we were before, and I miss that.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Yeah, I have to say, I think this is my biggest fear/hesitation in dating a guy friend... because I know it would end the friendship. I never keep in touch with any romantic interests... it wasn't always intentional but it's just always been that way... because when I do meet the right person, for myself, personally (it may work differently for other people), but I want to be able to say to him, "I don't have ANY past ties... my future with you is a totally clean slate."

I don't intentionally MEAN to be "all or nothing" but for some reason, that seems to be how it winds up... and then on the flipside, of course, if I'm interested in someone, I want to build a basis for getting to know each other first (technically building a friendship?) before jumping into an all-out relationship... Hmm... maybe that's why I'm so dazed and confused! ;)

Still praying, still seeking, still trying to figure things out!