Have You Received the Holy Ghost Since You Believed?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
How can one be absolutely sure they have received the Holy Ghost/Spirit? Only by evaluating scripture and finding consistency can this be done. The biblical record includes multiple events that point to the truth of what occurs when the Holy Ghost/Spirit actually enters the human body:

Consider the Apostle Peter’s words concerning the initial arrival of the Holy Ghost at Pentecost:

“This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.” Acts 2:32-33

“And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.” Acts 2:2-4

Peter also stated that the Gentiles had received the Holy Ghost just as the Jews did on the Day of Pentecost. “And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.” Acts 11:15

“While Peter yet these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.” Acts 10:44-48

Paul’s interaction with the Ephesus disciples make it clear that tongues flowed from the disciples upon the arrival of the Holy Ghost into their bodies:

“And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost SINCE ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.” Acts 19:1-6

The story of the Samaritan’s experience is interesting
. It is another proof that one does not receive the Holy Ghost the moment they believe. Ask yourself, How did those present know that the Samaritans HAD NOT received the Holy Ghost when they believed? They knew it because they did not witness the outward evidence of tongues.

"But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.
Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,” Acts 8:12-18

What exactly did Simon see that made him the Holy Ghost had filled the Samaritans?

Consider what Jesus told Nicodemus, just as the wind, the Holy Ghost/Spirit cannot be seen but it can be heard:
“The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.” John 3:8

Another thing that I believe is associated, and find fascinating is that God takes control of the one thing man cannot control as evidence of His abiding presence; the tongue:
"For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
But the tongue can no man tame;" (James 3:7-8) However, with God all things are possible. (Matt 19:26)

Lastly, consider that on the Day of Pentecost just prior to the utterance of tongues a flame resembling a cloven (split) tongue appeared above each person when the Spirit entered their body. (Acts 2:3-4) See an Old Testament parallel:
  • The Israelites knew when God was present in the darkness of night by the pillar of flame that appeared above the Old Testament tabernacle. (Exodus 25:8, 22, 29:43,40:34-38)
  • New Testament believers ARE God’s tabernacle today. He abides inside of us.
The cloven (split or divided in two) tongue appears to represent that there are two types of tongues: One as the initial evidence of the infilling of the Holy Spirit, and two; the Spiritual gift of tongues.

We are told to study the word in order to get a clear understanding of God’s principles. There will always be 2-3 witnesses in the word to confirm if one’s understanding is the actual truth. The foregoing information pertaining to tongues being the evidence of the infilling of the Holy Ghost/Spirit meets that criterion.

May 19, 2020
As the Holy Spirit entered my body then into my spirit...he testified that I was his child direct to my spirit...I knew instantly it was the Holy Spirit.

Romans 8:16

The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.

Jan 17, 2020
How can one be absolutely sure they have received the Holy Ghost/Spirit? Only by evaluating scripture and finding consistency can this be done. The biblical record includes multiple events that point to the truth of what occurs when the Holy Ghost/Spirit actually enters the human body:

Consider the Apostle Peter’s words concerning the initial arrival of the Holy Ghost at Pentecost:

Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.” Acts 2:32-33

“And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.” Acts 2:2-4

Peter also stated that the Gentiles had received the Holy Ghost just as the Jews did on the Day of Pentecost. “And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.” Acts 11:15

“While Peter yet these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.” Acts 10:44-48

Paul’s interaction with the Ephesus disciples make it clear that tongues flowed from the disciples upon the arrival of the Holy Ghost into their bodies:

“And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost SINCE ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.” Acts 19:1-6

The story of the Samaritan’s experience is interesting. It is another proof that one does not receive the Holy Ghost the moment they believe. Ask yourself, How did those present know that the Samaritans HAD NOT received the Holy Ghost when they believed? They knew it because they did not witness the outward evidence of tongues.

"But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.
Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,” Acts 8:12-18

What exactly did Simon see that made him the Holy Ghost had filled the Samaritans?

Consider what Jesus told Nicodemus, just as the wind, the Holy Ghost/Spirit cannot be seen but it can be heard:
“The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.” John 3:8

Another thing that I believe is associated, and find fascinating is that God takes control of the one thing man cannot control as evidence of His abiding presence; the tongue:
"For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
But the tongue can no man tame;" (James 3:7-8) However, with God all things are possible. (Matt 19:26)

Lastly, consider that on the Day of Pentecost just prior to the utterance of tongues a flame resembling a cloven (split) tongue appeared above each person when the Spirit entered their body. (Acts 2:3-4) See an Old Testament parallel:
  • The Israelites knew when God was present in the darkness of night by the pillar of flame that appeared above the Old Testament tabernacle. (Exodus 25:8, 22, 29:43,40:34-38)
The cloven (split or divided in two) tongue appears to represent that there are two types of tongues: One as the initial evidence of the infilling of the Holy Spirit, and two; the Spiritual gift of tongues.

We are told to study the word in order to get a clear understanding of God’s principles. There will always be 2-3 witnesses in the word to confirm if one’s understanding is the actual truth. The foregoing information pertaining to tongues being the evidence of the infilling of the Holy Ghost/Spirit meets that criterion.
The Scriptures replaced the Charismatic gifts just as Paul said they would. Furthermore, only a few spoke in tongues and that was either in the two outpourings or given through an Apostle's hands.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
As the Holy Spirit entered my body then into my spirit...he testified that I was his child direct to my spirit...I knew instantly it was the Holy Spirit.

That pretty much says it all.

Nebuchadnezzer

Feb 8, 2019
hmmm :unsure:, good point. (y)

1) once filled with the Power on High my desire to use curse words certainly diminished, but they can still slip from time to time. :eek::censored:

However

2) the desire to use God's name in vain has completely vanished!!! What once was common is now gone!
:love::D(y)(y) Hallelujah!!!

D

DWR

The Holy Spirit joined my spirit the moment I believed.
He has been present every moment since that day,
Have never spoken in tongues, nor have I been lead to, nor felt the need to.

Mar 4, 2020
If you exhibit fruits of the Holy Spirit since you've believed then the Holy Spirit has come to you.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014

Thats it !

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
If you exhibit fruits of the Holy Spirit since you've believed then the Holy Spirit has come to you.
Hm, had the corinthians then the Holy Spirit?
1. Cor. 3,1-2. They were very fleshly.

May 19, 2020

Oh no.....that was after I was crying my eyes out,repented of my sin.....I was in the biggest black hole...I cried out to Jesus......then the above happened......it was very personal just between the Holy Spirit and myself...28 yrs ago.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
Oh no.....that was after I was crying my eyes out,repented of my sin.....I was in the biggest black hole...I cried out to Jesus......then the above happened......it was very personal just between the Holy Spirit and myself...

Since giving my life to God.....he has transformed it.......it hasn’t been easy though.....but well worth what I have received.......the Lord is the only way for me!
I know, it was not different to me. It was amazing. I suppose it is always personell. And everyone has his own story about it.

May 19, 2020
I know, it was not different to me. It was amazing. I suppose it is always personell. And everyone has his own story about it.
AMEN!

How honoured are we bro....to belong to God.......words can’t express how I feel.....Praise God!

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand

The story of the Samaritan’s experience is interesting. It is another proof that one does not receive the Holy Ghost the moment they believe. Ask yourself, How did those present know that the Samaritans HAD NOT received the Holy Ghost when they believed? They knew it because they did not witness the outward evidence of tongues.

Have a close look at the disciples who were asked whether they had received the Hoky Spirit since they believed.

There is a group of already saved believers being given the Holy Spirit ' in the midst' to be a church, and there is individual indwelling of the Holy Spirit upon initial belief

Jun 10, 2019
what about the cloud?

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
When I was saved I woke up in the morning filled with life joy and what felt like in the best way I describe it a surging of his power and a blazing fire inside me and all around me. I had never known such a feeling and haven't since but I leaped out of bed dancing in joy and trust me I am not a morning person.
ever since then as he and I grew closer I saw the world, people and him with different eyes I spoke to him not with my mouth but with my heart and spirit and there was and still is a deepness to it.

But the holy spirit to me is far more than a gift or proof of slavation he is my best friend and I am silly because I refer to him as mr. holy spirit when I speak to him and yet the funny thing is out of all the trinity he is the one I know the least yet feel so close to it confuses me honestly and he is active in my life constantly so you would think I know him very well but in all truth I know father and Jesus much more as per their traits personality way of thinking way of seeing tbh I want to know my best friend much more especially since I feel him moving and actively acticve almost every day constantly

May 19, 2020
When I was saved I woke up in the morning filled with life joy and what felt like in the best way I describe it a surging of his power and a blazing fire inside me and all around me. I had never known such a feeling and haven't since but I leaped out of bed dancing in joy and trust me I am not a morning person.
ever since then as he and I grew closer I saw the world, people and him with different eyes I spoke to him not with my mouth but with my heart and spirit and there was and still is a deepness to it.

But the holy spirit to me is far more than a gift or proof of slavation he is my best friend and I am silly because I refer to him as mr. holy spirit when I speak to him and yet the funny thing is out of all the trinity he is the one I know the least yet feel so close to it confuses me honestly and he is active in my life constantly so you would think I know him very well but in all truth I know father and Jesus much more as per their traits personality way of thinking way of seeing tbh I want to know my best friend much more especially since I feel him moving and actively acticve almost every day constantly

When I read something like this it fills my heart with so much joy....it’s the Lord in me....this is such a wonderful testimony.....the Lord loves to hear this.....Praise His Holy Name......all glory goes to him.....

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
When I read something like this it fills my heart with so much joy....it’s the Lord in me....this is such a wonderful testimony.....the Lord loves to hear this.....Praise His Holy Name......all glory goes to him.....
I worry sometimes that I give testimonies too much I don't do it to speak of myself I just cannot help but speak what he places on my heart. Even with how much people tell my testimonies have impacted their hearts I still am unsure of myself. I have been alone in this walk with him ever since I was saved in 2012 and never had anyone but him to help me understand and grow in him but in this solitude with him I instantly obtained this ravenous hunger for him, to know him to have him to have a bond and love and intimacy deeper than the ocean something to close and so deep that no one ever knew or thought could g0o.

The only thing I have sought after and hungered for at almost a severely painful level is his heart sometimes and even yesterday and tonight the depth of the longing and craving to have him at long last to hold him and embrace him and to be held and embraced by to and to finally say to him in his arms you are mine cuts so deep that I bawl in tears it is an intense pain and the tears overflow in great measure especially since I want him that badly but he is not mine yet as long as I am in this side of heaven

It is the deepst of wounds and bleeding but the kind of bleeding that expresses my longing and love and desire for him so in a way it is a good kind of pain but it still hurts so bad. Even as I type this I am still in tears it just hurts so badly wanting him that deeply but not able to have him as my heart screams for

R

Reformyourself

The story of the Samaritan’s experience is interesting
. It is another proof that one does not receive the Holy Ghost the moment they believe. Ask yourself, How did those present know that the Samaritans HAD NOT received the Holy Ghost when they believed? They knew it because they did not witness the outward evidence of tongues.

What a great question...somebody asked me the same thing once & I told him that There were no bells and whistles, & I didn’t speak in tongues.
1. I used to get a tingling feeling when I prayed, like when the hairs stand up on your neck, but all over my body. (I don’t get that now)
2. I remember watching a commercial of starving children in a poor country and feeling ‘real’ compassion, which I had never felt before. (Usually made me feel guilty/impatient)
3. Also, there was a young man at work who was a thief-I couldn’t stand him, and I saw him as a lost child, in need of The Lord’s love and forgiveness (and The Lord revealed all the times I had stolen). 😮
4. The same with porn, I just felt compassion for the lost actors on screen.

May 19, 2020
I worry sometimes that I give testimonies too much I don't do it to speak of myself I just cannot help but speak what he places on my heart. Even with how much people tell my testimonies have impacted their hearts I still am unsure of myself. I have been alone in this walk with him ever since I was saved in 2012 and never had anyone but him to help me understand and grow in him but in this solitude with him I instantly obtained this ravenous hunger for him, to know him to have him to have a bond and love and intimacy deeper than the ocean something to close and so deep that no one ever knew or thought could g0o.

The only thing I have sought after and hungered for at almost a severely painful level is his heart sometimes and even yesterday and tonight the depth of the longing and craving to have him at long last to hold him and embrace him and to be held and embraced by to and to finally say to him in his arms you are mine cuts so deep that I bawl in tears it is an intense pain and the tears overflow in great measure especially since I want him that badly but he is not mine yet as long as I am in this side of heaven

It is the deepst of wounds and bleeding but the kind of bleeding that expresses my longing and love and desire for him so in a way it is a good kind of pain but it still hurts so bad. Even as I type this I am still in tears it just hurts so badly wanting him that deeply but not able to have him as my heart screams for

You have such depth for the Lord in your heart......please continue to share your testimony.....never worry.....you give out so much Of what’s in your heart........it really is beautiful to read.....so very pure......God Bless You!