He that believes and is not water baptised is saved

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
A contradiction of Mark 16:16?

No..

(Mar 16:16) KJV: He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Notice the later part of this verse. Being damned is conditioned on not believing. Not on 'not getting water baptised'

Often we can put a verse into it's opposite and think it is true. For eg.. 'He that believeth and is not baptised shall not be saved.'

The problem is.. this is false logic. Not everything put in opposite of a positive statement is true. Just compare Mark 16:16 with John 5:24, 6:40, 10:28, Romans 10:9-10. Where is the weight of scripture? What is it saying? Do you establish a doctrine of water baptism for salvation based on a few verses.. or the full weight of scripture?

Same goes for Acts 2:38

Act 2:38 KJV: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

This is ONE verse of a few that have baptism being put with remission (forgiveness) of sin.

Key question: Who is Peter talking to?

Act 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

What were they called to do first? Get water baptised?

No-- repent.. having a change of mind, heart from God.

The other part of this..is being baptised in the name of Jesus 'for' the remission of sin.

In English grammar.. you can be given something 'for' an illness.

So.. you get water baptism 'for' the fact of already having remission of sin. Now.. so you will say I am just interpreting this to match my own wishes.. but what does the full weight of scripture say about eternal salvation? How many verses.. again.. have not water baptism in them.. but are about receiving eternal life?
Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved (general cases without making a qualification for the unusual case of someone who believes but is not baptized) but he who does not believe will be condemned.

The omission of baptized with "does not believe" shows that Jesus does not make baptism absolutely necessary for salvation. Condemnation rests on unbelief and not on a lack of baptism. *NOWHERE does the Bible say, "baptized or condemned."

If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then we would expect Jesus to mention it in the following verses. (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26) Yet what is the 1 requirement that Jesus mentions 9 different times in each of these complete statements *BELIEVES. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? - NO) does not believe is condemned already, because he has not (been water baptized? - NO) because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

In Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.

*Also compare the fact that these Gentiles in Acts 10:45 received the gift of the Holy Spirit (compare with Acts 2:38 - the gift of the Holy Spirit) and this was BEFORE water baptism. (Acts 10:47)

In Acts 10:43 we read ..whoever believes in Him receives remission of sins. Again, these Gentiles received the gift of the Holy Spirit - Acts 10:45 - when they believed on the Lord Jesus Christ - Acts 11:17 - (compare with Acts 16:31 - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved) BEFORE water baptism - Acts 10:47. This is referred to as repentance unto life - Acts 11:18.

*So, the only logical conclusion when properly harmonizing scripture with scripture is that faith in Jesus Christ "implied in genuine repentance" (rather than water baptism) brings the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18). *Perfect Harmony*

Beckworth

May 15, 2019
True
Acts 1:5
Jesus said,

"For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. "

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit was to all who believed on Jesus, even those who were not yet water baptized in identification with Christ.[/. It is important to understand who Acts 1:5 is talking to. Holy Spirit baptism was never promised to everyone. In fact, the miraculous outpouring of the Spirit only happened twice in the New Testament. The first time
True
Acts 1:5
Jesus said,

"For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. "

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit was to all who believed on Jesus, even those who were not yet water baptized in identification with Christ.
The miraculous out pouring of the Holy Spirit was never promised to everyone and in fact, only occurred twice in the New Testament. The first time was in Acts 2 and this verse in chapter one is referring to that. It is important to understand to whom verse 5 of chapter one is talking. Read the context. Verse 2 of chapter 1says that is Jesus giving commandments to his apostles whom He had chosen. That’s the 11–Judas having died. Verse 4 says He (Jesus) was “assembled together with them”—who? The APOSTLES. He tells them 2 things: 1) don’t leave Jerusalem and 2) wait for the “promise.” The promise was that they would be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from that time.
That promise was for the apostles only. Jesus never said that everyone would be given Holy Spirit baptism. If you are going to apply that part of what Jesus said to all people tgen you must be consistent and apply ALL of What He said to them. The rest of his conversation to them would have to be fir everyone also. That means we must ALL wait in Jerusalem to get the Spirit and in verse 8–in the same conversation where He said yo will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.. Ge says “after the Holy Spirit has come upon you, you shall be witnesses of me in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Why just “Cherry pick” verse 5 and say that means all of us—everyone, but nothing else in that whole conversation by Jesus , applies to us?? That seems dishonest to me. That is no way to treat the scriptures. And that is certainly not the truth!

Beckworth

May 15, 2019
Re: Acts 22 verse... 16And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord. Note it says calling on the name of the Lord. So, which cleanses us of our sins, water? Or calling on the name of the Lord?

Re: Acts 2 verse... 38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Which causes the remission of sins, water? Or repenting? (first sermon Jesus preached was REPENT...in 4th Chapter of Matthew FYI)

RE: 1 Peter verse... 21The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ: which saves us, water baptism? Or, the resurrection of Jesus?

Simply put, water does not and will never cleanse anyone of sin and provide salvation. ONLY THE BLOOD OF JESUS CAN DO THAT. [/

why would you try to “ pit” scripture against scripture? Or try to confuse people by saying it has to be one or the other? The Bible NEVER says that ONLY ONE THING saves us.
Want proof? Ephesians 2:8 we are saved by grace; Roman’s 5:1 we are saved by faith; 1 Peter 3:21 we are saved by baptism; Romans 8:24 we are saved by hope; Romans 10:9 we are saved by confession; Luke 13:5 we are saved by repenting; Ephesians 1:7 we are saved by the blood of Jesus; John 2:24 we are saved by works. I probably left some out but you get the idea.
Trying to make people choose between water baptism and the resurrection of Jesus is the same thing as trying to make people choose between Grace and the blood of Jesus. It’ seems dishonest to me—like you have an agenda you are trying to push; and it’s pretty obvious what that is. You don’t like the passages that teach that water baptism is necessary to salvation—and there are several aren’t there? I can think of at least four, right off.
Psalms 119:160 says that the SUM (ASV) of your commandments are “truth”. or as the NKJ says the “entirety” of your word is truth. ALL of What the Bible says is truth. Not just the part that you like. And certainly not just one scripture over another scripture. We need to do what the Psalmist says and believe it ALL! If you want to know God’s truth on the “Holy Spirit” the way to do that is to find all the scriptures that tell us about Him and put it all together (the SUM) and then we will know everything God wants us to know about the “Holy Spirit”. We will have God’s TRUTH!
Likewise, if you want to know the “truth” about salvation and what it takes to be saved, we need to do the same thing. Take ALL God says about what saves and put it all together—sum it up— and you will know the “truth.” God NEVER said just one thing saves. And He never intended for us to have to choose one over the other. Don’t be deceived. Believe the Bible.

Shilohsfoal

Dec 27, 2018
Jesus also said that everyone who asks for the holy Ghost will recieve.

I asked to be forgiven of my sins and to be saved.Thats when I received the holy Ghost.I understood at that time my sins were forgiven and I was made clean.My depression turned to gladness .
That was Aug 31 1998.It was close to noon on a Monday.

Luke 11:
10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?

12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?

13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Jesus does not say water baptism is a requirement for the gift of God.

Beckworth

May 15, 2019
Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved (general cases without making a qualification for the unusual case of someone who believes but is not baptized) but he who does not believe will be condemned.

The omission of baptized with "does not believe" shows that Jesus does not make baptism absolutely necessary for salvation. Condemnation rests on unbelief and not on a lack of baptism. *NOWHERE does the Bible say, "baptized or condemned."

If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then we would expect Jesus to mention it in the following verses. (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26) Yet what is the 1 requirement that Jesus mentions 9 different times in each of these complete statements *BELIEVES. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? - NO) does not believe is condemned already, because he has not (been water baptized? - NO) because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

In Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.

*Also compare the fact that these Gentiles in Acts 10:45 received the gift of the Holy Spirit (compare with Acts 2:38 - the gift of the Holy Spirit) and this was BEFORE water baptism. (Acts 10:47)

In Acts 10:43 we read ..whoever believes in Him receives remission of sins. Again, these Gentiles received the gift of the Holy Spirit - Acts 10:45 - when they believed on the Lord Jesus Christ - Acts 11:17 - (compare with Acts 16:31 - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved) BEFORE water baptism - Acts 10:47. This is referred to as repentance unto life - Acts 11:18.

*So, the only logical conclusion when properly harmonizing scripture with scripture is that faith in Jesus Christ "implied in genuine repentance" (rather than water baptism) brings the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18). *Perfect Harmony*
I’d like to comment on Mark 16:16. It is a common argument against baptism to say that because Jesus did not say “he that is not baptized will be condemned in the last half of that verse, then baptism is not necessary to salvation. It’s always been a puzzle to me that if that is true, then why did Jesus put it BEFORE salvation in the first half of that verse? Jesus doesn’t make mistakes does He? He must have realized that he is coupling faith and baptism together and having them equal salvation dont you think? I’m sure no one would accuse Jesus of being absentminded or mistaken, but there it is—belief AND baptism equals salvation. Rules of grammar tell us that the conjunction “and” links things of equal value together. Surely Jesus knew that. And still he puts “baptism” BEFORE salvation not AFTER salvation the way men preach it today. Could Jesus be wrong? Why would he do that? It’s no accident that the way Jesus puts baptism before salvation is in harmony with all other scriptures on baptism, like 1 Peter 3:21 and Acts 2:38 and even Acts 22:16. If Jesus wanted to tell us that baptism is essential to salvation should He have done it better? Could he have done it better?
If I say “ he that chews food and swallows it will live, “ do I need to say “he that doesn’t chew food and doesn’t swallow it shall die? Wouldn’t you understand that a person who doesn’t chew food would not swallow food that he doesn’t chew without having to be told? Jesus said if a person doesn’t believe he will be condemned. Did He need to say if an unbeliever is not baptized he will be condemned? Wouldn’t you understand that an UNBELIEVER. Would never be baptized in The name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit—because he DOESNT BELIEVE IN THEM!! I’m personally thankful that God credited me with enough common sense that he didn’t have to tell me that.

Beckworth

May 15, 2019
Jesus also said that everyone who asks for the holy Ghost will recieve.

I asked to be forgiven of my sins and to be saved.Thats when I received the holy Ghost.I understood at that time my sins were forgiven and I was made clean.My depression turned to gladness .
That was Aug 31 1998.It was close to noon on a Monday.

Luke 11:
10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?

13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Jesus does not say water baptism is a requirement for the gift of God.[/

If by “gift of God” you mean The Holy Spirit, then you are mistaken. Acts 2:38 says God will give us the “gift of the Holy Spirit” when we are baptized for the forgiveness of our sins.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
A contradiction of Mark 16:16?

No..

(Mar 16:16) KJV: He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Notice the later part of this verse. Being damned is conditioned on not believing. Not on 'not getting water baptised'

Often we can put a verse into it's opposite and think it is true. For eg.. 'He that believeth and is not baptised shall not be saved.'

The problem is.. this is false logic. Not everything put in opposite of a positive statement is true. Just compare Mark 16:16 with John 5:24, 6:40, 10:28, Romans 10:9-10. Where is the weight of scripture? What is it saying? Do you establish a doctrine of water baptism for salvation based on a few verses.. or the full weight of scripture?

Same goes for Acts 2:38

Act 2:38 KJV: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

This is ONE verse of a few that have baptism being put with remission (forgiveness) of sin.

Key question: Who is Peter talking to?

Act 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

What were they called to do first? Get water baptised?

No-- repent.. having a change of mind, heart from God.

The other part of this..is being baptised in the name of Jesus 'for' the remission of sin.

In English grammar.. you can be given something 'for' an illness.

So.. you get water baptism 'for' the fact of already having remission of sin. Now.. so you will say I am just interpreting this to match my own wishes.. but what does the full weight of scripture say about eternal salvation? How many verses.. again.. have not water baptism in them.. but are about receiving eternal life?
Therefore, go ahead and be water Baptized. As. a good conscience between God and you personally.

1 Peter 3:16-18

New International Version

16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. 17 For it is better, if it is God’s will,to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. 18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.

Time to ask God Father of the risen Jesus for the ne life offered us in the risen Life of Jesus for us to love all as he has done for us on that cross to us, you think?

1. Acts 23:1
    Paul looked straight at the Sanhedrin and said, “My brothers, I have fulfilled my duty to God in all goodconscience to this day.”
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
  2. 1 Timothy 1:5
    The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
  3. 1 Timothy 1:19
    holding on to faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and so have suffered shipwreck with regard to the faith.
  4. 1 Peter 3:16
    keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

Clear conscience, red Hebrews 10 to see this truth about getting purged from

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Do you understand the difference between man and God?

Man Baptises in water.It washes away the filth on the outside of the cup .
God baptises with the holy spirit.It washes away the filth inside the cup .A man can wash you everyday and it will never wash away sin.

Many of these people who claim they have the power to wash away sin in Jesus name will find out one day that they never received the name of Jesus themselves.It was never applied to them.

Mathew 7:22-23
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
There is a water baptism and a Spirit baptism, which one is in place, since there is only one Baptism?

1. Acts 1:22
    beginning from John’s baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection.”
  2. Acts 19:4
    Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the onecoming after him, that is, in Jesus.”
  3. Ephesians 4:5
    one Lord, one faith, one baptism;

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Why Jesus was Baptized by John

John was the son the priest Zechariah (a Levite). So, by the Law, he was able to be a priest. John also had taken the vow of the Nazarite. This was a strict code of obedience and behavior that demonstrated an additional level of dedication. He was, in effect, a super-priest (if you will).

Jesus was the Lamb of God. All sacrifices needed to be inspected by the priests before they were offered to God.
When Jesus told John to baptize Him “to fulfill all righteousness” He was talking about the ceremonial law of inspecting the sacrifice: the priest (John) must inspect the Lamb (Jesus). In the ceremonial Law, the sacrifices were washed and presented without spot or blemish. Jesus, a living sacrifice, was washed in this same way. John, accepting the sacrifice as worthy, washed Jesus in the water. By this, both men, John and Jesus, fulfilled the righteous requirement of the Law.

Also, this was the actual moment Jesus gave His life up for us. His Father (Our Father) confirmed this from heaven and declared “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” In the tradition of the time, the Father would take a son to meet his creditors. The father would introduce the son to the creditors and say "This is my son, in whom I am well-pleased". The father did this to show who would represent him in business from that point on. It was like declaring, "In all manner of my business this son represents me. When you see him you are doing business directly with me as he is now executor of my estate”. Jesus gave His whole life to the Father: although He had the ability to live His own life, He lived only in the way His Father (our Father) showed Him.

This example of grace extends to believers: we are called to be living sacrifices within the estate of God, our Father: not choosing our own way but only the way of the Father. When WE give up our lives to God, we can then be baptized in water and declare the death of our life in Adam. This is done as a witness to both men and angels. When we do this as a living sacrifice, God, our Father, raises us to life with the same Spirit with which He raised Christ from the dead. The order of these things is not important but the outcome is always the same: we are living sacrifices to God.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
There is a water baptism and a Spirit baptism, which one is in place, since there is only one Baptism?

beginning from John’s baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection.”
    Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the onecoming after him, that is, in Jesus.”
The scriptures actually speak of 4 different baptisms: by the Spirit, of the Spirit, with fire, and with water.

The "one baptism" Paul wrote about here is the baptism by the Spirit. This baptism places all who believe into the Body of Christ. This is the one baptism that joins all who believe into the one body of Christ. Paul is directly addressing sectarianism in the body; divisions. The baptism by the Spirit ends all divisions: "We are all part of the one Body of Christ. Christ is not divided, therefore, you should not be as well."

The Western church has difficulty understanding these things because of their ideas of independence and denominationalism. When they use their traditions to understand the meaning of scripture a lack of understanding, and doctrinal error, follows.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The scriptures actually speak of 4 different baptisms: by the Spirit, of the Spirit, with fire, and with water.
There is also the washing with, by, or of His Word... I'm not sure exactly where but it's in Titus, and possibly other places as well. I'd post my panel for it but I'm on my phone and can't do that on this device :p

Beckworth

May 15, 2019

Mark 16:16- If I say he that chews food and swallows it shall live but he that doesn’t chew food —- do I need to say “and doesn’t swallow the food that he doesn’t chew”? The last half of that verse says that an unbeliever shall be condemned. Did God need to say the person that doesn’t believe and isn’t baptised will be condemned? Have you ever heard of an unbeliever being baptized into the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit? No! Because he doesn’t believe in them. I’m thankful that God credited me with enough common sense tO understand that simple truth. This, in my opinion is a ridiculous argument.
However, Jesus STILL says that faith + baptism =equals salvation. It’s amazing the lengths some people will go to try to get around that statement. I guess he thinks Jesus was wrong or at least mistaken. Because the statement is too plain to misunderstand. If you can understand 1+1=2 then you can understand “belief+ baptism = salvation. As someone has said, it’s not “rocket science.” This person would have you believe that 1-1= 2 or that 1=2; either way, it’s not true in mathematics and it’s not true in the Bible.
1 John 41-“Beloved, do not believe every spirit but test the spirits whether they be of God because many false teachers have gone out into the world.”

Beckworth

May 15, 2019

The "one baptism" Paul wrote about here is the baptism by the Spirit. This baptism places all who believe into the Body of Christ. This is the one baptism that joins all who believe into the one body of Christ. Paul is directly addressing sectarianism in the body; divisions. The baptism by the Spirit ends all divisions: "We are all part of the one Body of Christ. Christ is not divided, therefore, you should not be as well."

The Western church has difficulty understanding these things because of their ideas of independence and denominationalism. When they use their traditions to understand the meaning of scripture a lack of understanding, and doctrinal error, follows.
There is a lot of misunderstanding about Holy Spirit baptism. Jesus promised Holy Spirit baptism to his apostles and we see what it was on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2 when they received it. It was a MIRACULOUS immersion or out pouring of the Holy Ghost. They were not expecting it (at that moment) and they were not praying for it or “entreating “ it to come down on them—it just happened suddenly. In fact that is the word used in Acts 2:1–suddenly. That giving of the Holy Spirit was a miracle ; not to be confused with the way God promised to give the Holy Spirit to an obedient believer today. Christian’s also have the gift of the Holy Spirut but not in the form of a miraculous baptism. We learn how we get the Spirit in scriptures like Acts 2:38. When one believes, repents, and is baptized, God gives him the Spirit as a gift. It is not promised to us the same way it was promised to the apostles. They needed “power” to perform miracles to prove to the people of that time that they(the apostles) were truly God’s messengers and that what they preached was really from God.
There were ONLY TWO times that the Holy Spirit was given in a miraculous “baptism”. 1) in Acts 2 when it fell on the apostles. There was purpose behind it. It was a “sign” from God to show the people that these men were God’s messengers.
The second time 2) was in Acs 10 when it fell on Cornelius and his house. It was not for the purpose to “save” them but it was a “sign” to the Jews that God had accepted the gentiles as recipients of the gospel. In fact, verse 45 says the Jews that were with Peter were AMAZED because the Holy Spirit was poured out on GENTILES!! That and the vision Peter saw in the previous chapter was all to convince the Jews that God had also accepted the gentiles as co-heirs of salvation. The gospel of Jesus Christ was for any Jew and any Gentile. This is proven by Acts 11:18 when the Jews said, “then God has also granted to the gentiles repentance to life.” That was God’s purpose in pouring it out on the gentiles. So, those are the only 2 times it was ever given in this way—once to the Jews and once to the gentiles. Everyone else gets it when we become obedient to God’s command to believe, repent, and be baptised as Peter preached. Then, Acts 2:47 says THE LORD adds us to his church.
According to 1 Corinthians 13, all miraculous spiritual gifts were to cease when that which is perfect comes. The choice of using the pronoun “that” instead of “who” means that he is not talking about a person. If we let the Bible interpret itself, then that which is perfect is the Bible, the “perfect” word of God. Roman’s 12:2 and James 1:25.
The baptism that saves us is water baptism and is the one Paul means in Ephesians 4:4. It’s what all people who want to be Christians must obey. There is no miraculous outpouring of the Holy Spirit today.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
There is a lot of misunderstanding about Holy Spirit baptism. Jesus promised Holy Spirit baptism to his apostles and we see what it was on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2 when they received it. It was a MIRACULOUS immersion or out pouring of the Holy Ghost. They were not expecting it (at that moment) and they were not praying for it or “entreating “ it to come down on them—it just happened suddenly. In fact that is the word used in Acts 2:1–suddenly. That giving of the Holy Spirit was a miracle ; not to be confused with the way God promised to give the Holy Spirit to an obedient believer today. Christian’s also have the gift of the Holy Spirut but not in the form of a miraculous baptism. We learn how we get the Spirit in scriptures like Acts 2:38. When one believes, repents, and is baptized, God gives him the Spirit as a gift. It is not promised to us the same way it was promised to the apostles. They needed “power” to perform miracles to prove to the people of that time that they(the apostles) were truly God’s messengers and that what they preached was really from God.
There were ONLY TWO times that the Holy Spirit was given in a miraculous “baptism”. 1) in Acts 2 when it fell on the apostles. There was purpose behind it. It was a “sign” from God to show the people that these men were God’s messengers.
The second time 2) was in Acs 10 when it fell on Cornelius and his house. It was not for the purpose to “save” them but it was a “sign” to the Jews that God had accepted the gentiles as recipients of the gospel. In fact, verse 45 says the Jews that were with Peter were AMAZED because the Holy Spirit was poured out on GENTILES!! That and the vision Peter saw in the previous chapter was all to convince the Jews that God had also accepted the gentiles as co-heirs of salvation. The gospel of Jesus Christ was for any Jew and any Gentile. This is proven by Acts 11:18 when the Jews said, “then God has also granted to the gentiles repentance to life.” That was God’s purpose in pouring it out on the gentiles. So, those are the only 2 times it was ever given in this way—once to the Jews and once to the gentiles. Everyone else gets it when we become obedient to God’s command to believe, repent, and be baptised as Peter preached. Then, Acts 2:47 says THE LORD adds us to his church.
According to 1 Corinthians 13, all miraculous spiritual gifts were to cease when that which is perfect comes. The choice of using the pronoun “that” instead of “who” means that he is not talking about a person. If we let the Bible interpret itself, then that which is perfect is the Bible, the “perfect” word of God. Roman’s 12:2 and James 1:25.
The baptism that saves us is water baptism and is the one Paul means in Ephesians 4:4. It’s what all people who want to be Christians must obey. There is no miraculous outpouring of the Holy Spirit today.
Jesus Christ baptizes us WITH the Spirit. He accomplishes this from heaven.
The Spirit baptizes us into the one Body of Christ. This also occurred AFTER Jesus ascended to heaven as there was no body of Christ into which anyone could be immersed until after He arose as the life-giving Spirit.

Without biases theses things are easy to understand.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Indeed, the bible is the perfect thing in 1 co 13. But is salvation about getting wet, or belief on the Lord Jesus Christ?

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Precious friend, what do we then do with:

"And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God,​
being baptized with the baptism of John.​
But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against​
themselves, being not baptized of him." (Luke 7:29-30 AV)?​
?
The baptism of John.. people believed on the Lord Jesus Christ first.

Acts 19:4 KJVS - Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

The Pharisees and Lawyers never believed and so were not baptized

Baptism in water was 'of' repentance. Just like being 'for' repentance. The baptism symbolized the repentance

Shilohsfoal

Dec 27, 2018
You are mistaken.

If by my works I received the holy spirit ,then it we would not be a gift.I wasn't saved by the works of water baptism.I was saved by grace through faith.

As Jesus said himself"ask and ye shall receive".

Perhaps you should ask sometime .Believe the gospel of Jesus Christ for once in your life.

Luke 11:

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
People who believe baptism saves are all wet behind the ears.

Shilohsfoal

Dec 27, 2018

I was baptized in the holy Ghost.
That is the only baptism that saves.

Jews Baptise in accordance with Moses law of immersion but that immersion does not remove sins no more than the blood of beasts.They would immerse themselves in a river or pool of water before they could do work in the temple.As the temple has changed,so has the immersion.The temple of God is no longer that building built by man and neither is the immersion performed by man.
The temple is built by Christ and Christ Baptises in the holy Ghost.
Jews still immerse in water today before they build a synagogue.They still hold on to that old tradition.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
@Beckworth,

I didn't cherry pick Acts 1:5, nor did I take it out of context. You claimed that Spirit baptism only occured to 11 apostles.

Clear back in Matthew 3, John the Baptist preached this to a crowd of believers and unbelievers about the Lord Who would baptize some with the Holy Ghost and others with fire .

Those who were saved from Hell would be baptized with the Holy Ghost. He was Not preaching to a crowd of only specifically the 12 apostles there. He was preaching to a mixed crowd, some of which would be baptized with fire.

11I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire.