Hebrews 9:28

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Gideon300

Ancient Mariner
Mar 18, 2021
9,880
7,548
113
Frankston, Victoria
christianlife.au
This is a slightly different slant on the return of Christ. I think Hebrews 9:28 helps confirm the pre trib rapture teaching - with a twist.

There is a song about the Vietnam war, from the POV of a young soldier. One of the lines says that the sound of a helicopter chilled him to his feet. Chill as in terrify, not the modern meaning.

I spent a week in Vietnam's waters and a day in Vung Tau harbour. That was enough for me. I worked with a veteran soldier who fought in Vietnam. He told me that he loved the sound of the helicopter. It meant that he was about to be extracted. An interesting contrast.

..........so also Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many; and He will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who eagerly await Him.

"Salvation" in this context is not to do with forgiveness of sin. It means

But our citizenship is in heaven, and we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables Him to subject all things to Himself, will transform our lowly bodies to be like His glorious body. (Philippians 3:20 & 21)

I wonder how eagerly we are awaiting the return of the Lord Jesus. Is there something more important? Do we have an unfinished work, a pet project that we have almost completed, attachments to loved ones that tie us to the world?

It's a scary thought. Suppose God says, "OK, finish your project, your work; stay to help your family." Other believers receive their new bodies and are taken up to escape the wrath of God to come on the earth.

Perhaps it's because I'm older and my body is a little the worse for wear. I'm eager to get my new body. No more aches, no more pains and no more sweating in the gym. Best of all, no sin nature to tempt me and no hindrance to pure fellowship with my Lord and my God Jesus. Whatever your eschatology, Jesus is returning. That is the truth. And every sign points to the fact that it will be soon.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OLDBUTNEW
Php 1:22 But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not.
Php 1:23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:
Php 1:24 Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

One gets an impression that Paul is wistfully considering being able to leave this world for the next. He then sort of shakes his head and declares that he still has some work to do.