Hell being taught as subject in American schools?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018
Hi everyone,

I live outside of the United States and I would like to know if anyone could be of assistance.

I have a question, a friend of mine's daughter is studying in the States. And she is quite concerned that her daughter mentioned that the school where she is studying has added two more subjects to her curriculum, one of the two which the subject is 'Hell'.

I want to know if this is general practice happening or what?

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
I don't know, but this does remind me of a classic clip from The Simpsons.

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018
Well, what is portray on television shows is normally what happens in reality or technology that we should look out for.

Like many events, which was potrayed on South Park actaully occurred just like that.

M

MegMarch

Does she attend a public school or a private school?

What class is this topic being taught in? English?

The topic may come up in varying classes in public schools, most likely History or English, but it is not necessarily required to teach about it. The national standards leave a lot of wiggle room in determining which curriculum to use in order to meet those standards. No where in the standards does it state to specifically teach on the topic of hell.

I teach at a Christian school, so naturally the topic of hell comes up, but we teach from a Biblical worldview. This is critical to consider when discussing topics such as hell in the educational setting.

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018
Does she attend a public school or a private school?

What class is this topic being taught in? English?

The topic may come up in varying classes in public schools, most likely History or English, but it is not necessarily required to teach about it. The national standards leave a lot of wiggle room in determining which curriculum to use in order to meet those standards. No where in the standards does it state to specifically teach on the topic of hell.
I teach at a Christian school, so naturally the topic of hell comes up, but we teach from a Biblical worldview. This is critical to consider when discussing topics such as hell in the educational setting.
Thank you for your response. She is a attending a private school.

I was not like fully briefed on the whole situation. But I think it is subject that stands on its own. Would it not be religious studies? Hopefully tomorrow, when I have spoken to her mom again. She will be able to give more detailed information.

M

MegMarch

I was not like fully briefed on the whole situation. But I think it is subject that stands on its own. Would it not be religious studies? Hopefully tomorrow, when I have spoken to her mom again. She will be able to give more detailed information.
At the school I teach at, any teacher could address the topic of hell in any class. However, it probably most naturally comes up in Bible class.

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018
At the school I teach at, any teacher could address the topic of hell in any class. However, it probably most naturally comes up in Bible class.
Oh really. Maybe that is why she was surprised that it is being taught at the school.

M

MegMarch

Oh really. Maybe that is why she was surprised that it is being taught at the school.
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but why would it be surprising for the topic of hell to come up in a Religious Studies or Bible class at a private school?

I would be interested to hear why she was surprised at this. Perhaps the teacher is not addressing the topic with sound doctrine.

E

EleventhHour

Hi everyone,

I live outside of the United States and I would like to know if anyone could be of assistance.

I have a question, a friend of mine's daughter is studying in the States. And she is quite concerned that her daughter mentioned that the school where she is studying has added two more subjects to her curriculum, one of the two which the subject is 'Hell'.

Maybe they are studying Dante's "Inferno"
:D

May 6, 2014
With schools and colleges in the states in general, one has to be careful, since many strange things have become common curriculum, including gay and lesbianism, and transsexualism.

But if the girl is attending a religious type of school, I wouldn't be surprised at hell being a subject.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Hi everyone,

Hello 3angelsmsg!

I can see hell being taught if she is studying at a Christian school. However, I have never heard of non Christian schools teaching on hell. It would mean that they would have to recognize God as the One who created it, a place of punishment. Since this world is force- feeding the idea of evolution, I can't see worldly schools teaching on hell.

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but why would it be surprising for the topic of hell to come up in a Religious Studies or Bible class at a private school?

I would be interested to hear why she was surprised at this. Perhaps the teacher is not addressing the topic with sound doctrine.
Yes. That is more the concern, I would think. Because God doesn't want to drive us with fear.

He wants us to make intelligent decisions to follow Him.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019

You have caught my curiosity. Were you able to obtain anymore information on this particular topic being taught?

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018
You have caught my curiosity. Were you able to obtain anymore information on this particular topic being taught?
Yes. They are definitely being taught the subject of hell. And they have received a book to read on satan. I am not so sure what is the name of the book something called The divine movie. And they are being taught that when you die you must first go to hell.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Yes. They are definitely being taught the subject of hell. And they have received a book to read on satan. I am not so sure what is the name of the book something called The divine movie. And they are being taught that when you die you must first go to hell.
Yah if I was yall I would be doing alot of digging and getting info from the school. If this is true then I would be going to the school and the school board. If they going to teach more nonsense then they need to equally teach all beliefs on the subject of Heaven and Hell. Which is automatically theological and if they teach on Satan they must also teach on God. Doubt they want to go that far but they are indirectly giving all theologies room to enter in public education.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Personally I would snatch my child out of that class and or school as it doesn't sound like something I would want my child to believe as truth if they are teaching and you have to go to hell first.... Bad enough that kids get shot at in school here much less be terrified by something that is not true.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Really! I find that disturbing in many different ways. I know you said that she attends a private school, but why are these schools taking it upon themselves to be the arbitrators of what’s is right and wrong(Or even spiritual matters)? Is this a religious school?