I got home after dark one night - a few years ago - and, after parking the car, I lifted the boot latch to pop open the boot (okay trunk!) so I could remove my laptop and work that I needed to go through that evening. The cable of the latch mechanism snapped so I had to open it another way. Now ordinarily, I would just use the key to open up the boot (okaaay trunk), but then I just remembered that the boot was not the original one that came with the car. At some point in the past, someone had rear-ended the car and the boot was replaced with another from a similar car that was being broken for spares (welcome to Africa north of the Limpopo River.) And yes, the car was a bit of a hooptie!
This meant that the key I had did'nt fit. Hmmm...problem! The final alternative was to remove the back seat, which was what I did. Soon I managed to fold the seat and managed to scramble into the boot through the opening I created and, with a flashlight in my mouth I managed to find the laptop, gym bag and a few files. Now to get out . Hmmm. The seat started to close in on my back, the flashlight dropped out of my mouth and somehow switched off. Still holding onto my stuff, I tried to extricate myself from the rear end of my car. I couldnt get out. I'm sure you have the picture: backseat folded down with two thirds of my body practically in the boot. Now I'm having a tough time coming out!I was too embarrassed to call out for help and I dont think that anyone would hear me. Then I heard movement and, relieved that someone was on hand to help, I, sheepishly, began to explain my predicament to this, yet to be identified Good Samaritan. What I heard next was one of the most disheartening sounds a man in my position could hear. I had just ended my one minute monologue and had asked for assistance.
The answer I got was, "Meow!"
This meant that the key I had did'nt fit. Hmmm...problem! The final alternative was to remove the back seat, which was what I did. Soon I managed to fold the seat and managed to scramble into the boot through the opening I created and, with a flashlight in my mouth I managed to find the laptop, gym bag and a few files. Now to get out . Hmmm. The seat started to close in on my back, the flashlight dropped out of my mouth and somehow switched off. Still holding onto my stuff, I tried to extricate myself from the rear end of my car. I couldnt get out. I'm sure you have the picture: backseat folded down with two thirds of my body practically in the boot. Now I'm having a tough time coming out!I was too embarrassed to call out for help and I dont think that anyone would hear me. Then I heard movement and, relieved that someone was on hand to help, I, sheepishly, began to explain my predicament to this, yet to be identified Good Samaritan. What I heard next was one of the most disheartening sounds a man in my position could hear. I had just ended my one minute monologue and had asked for assistance.
The answer I got was, "Meow!"