(help me- please) Food Label Reading

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Godsgirl83

When reading labels often they will have a line for "sugars" and right below "includes additional added sugars"
Which line do I go by? Do I add them together?
A loved one I cook for had a recent blood test with high A1C in a hospital stay that appeared to improve with dietary changes while there.
So, now I feel like I'm learning food label basics all over again, and sometimes searching the web for information gets very overwhelming, confusing, and conflicting.
Also, is it more important to read/consider sugar content or carbohydrates content on food labels?

Thanks!

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I have read of sugars being hidden under other names, sorbitol and such. I will get back to you....:)

Jan 5, 2022
"A higher plane," hehe
www.youtube.com
Not sure about the sugar question, but diabetes runs in both sides of my family (hyperglycemia AND hypoglycemia) and I know that some foods are great natural blood sugar moderators.

Blueberries are the big one but I'm sure there are others.

T

TheIndianGirl

Both sugars and carbs should be limited; carbs turn into sugar. Both are bad for diabetes. I used to eat a lot of rice, but now I use measuring spoons for portion control. I use the 4oz spoon for rice. Basically, I try to eat 10 to 12 ounces per meal which is about the size of a frozen meal.

G

Godsgirl83

Thanks!
That actually explained a large part of what we were wondering.

Labels for foods and beverages with added sugars will list the number of grams and the percent Daily Value (%DV) for added sugars within the Nutrition Facts label.
Having the word “includes” before added sugars on the label indicates that added sugars are included in the number of grams of total sugars in the product.
For example, a container of yogurt with added sweeteners, might list:

This means one serving of the product has 7 grams of added sugars and 8 grams of naturally occurring sugars – for a total of 15 grams of sugar. The 7g of added sugars represents 14% of the Daily Value for added sugars.

That'll make tomorrows food planning a little easier :)