Help with voice chat from a screen reader prospective?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

tstrange

Hey, I am blind, and so I use a screen reader to navigate your site. now, the forums are accessibile, however, I am finding the voice chat isn't working as well. I click allow for it to access my microphone and camra, but then I can not find the button much less the window to chat in or talk in. either the screen reader is skipping over it completely, or the button is not labled properly. I would love to find a way to protisipate if it is possible.
Also, I see a lot of forums, and they are structured in a way I can find them all, but what about the chat rooms themselves? can someone please help me? thank you, and God bless.
IN Christ, tstrange out.

U

Ugly

Are you in a laptop or computer, or a phone or tablet? This will affect the type of answer you get.

T

tstrange

I am on a lap top, but I can also use an ios phone, running voice over.

U

Ugly

There is a blue button near the top of the page labelled Chat Now. Often times buttons are simply pictures, so this may be why it's not being read.
Once inside the chat it is flash based. Also it has text based chat as well as video and audio. There are ways to turn of hearing and seeing others audio and video as well as turning off your video so you don't show on cam if you decide to voice chat. This must be done before going into chats.

G

GaryA

It is a normal "form submit" button.

When it is 'clicked', a new window will pop up - within which will be the chat interface.

How should the button be labeled?

T

tstrange

I can click chat now. that is labled properly. where I get stuck, is I can not see the chat window, much less find the button to talk, after I click allow for cc to access my michrophone and camra stuff. and there are no instructions before you go live. do I hit control, or hold a button? basicly, I'm completely lost.

T

tstrange

There is also the issue that historicly, adoby flash, and screen readers never ever, have gotten along. thank God that it is being moved away from over all by most web sites, but there are still some that use it, and when I find them I find them highly annoying. I don't know how this can be fixed, but I thought I'd bring it to the attention of those who may be able to help.

U

Ugly

I believe there is a button for voice chat. It's been a long time since i've used it, so i'm a little fuzzy. It's on the bottom left i believe. There is also a que. So clicking the button won't pop you onto the mic automatically, but rather set you in the que. I have not used the mic since the que system has been put into place.
It seems the standards have changed a few times, but for a while, to use the voice chat feature (to speak, not to listen) require a one time donation. It opens up the ability to use the mic, grants access to more rooms and i believe some other features. But, as i said, i don't know if that has changed or not. Since i was a member before that was put into place i was grandfathered in, so i often forget that the donation is (or may be) a requirement for certain things.

As far as using Flash, there is only one person in charge of the technical side of the site. That is the owner. Since it's only one person, and sometimes finances get in the way, changes can be slow in coming. Especially if he's already working on other projects to change the site. But this site is using a template of it's host site. There's a good amount of flexibility but some things are out of the owners control. Flash may or may not fall under the base framework and therefore not be something that can be changed. I'm not very geeky so i can't take a guess.

G

GaryA

There is also the issue that historicly, adoby flash, and screen readers never ever, have gotten along. thank God that it is being moved away from over all by most web sites, but there are still some that use it, and when I find them I find them highly annoying. I don't know how this can be fixed, but I thought I'd bring it to the attention of those who may be able to help.
It sounds to me like adobe flash is the problem...

Thank you for pointing this out.