Here to today, gone tomorrow.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

love_comes_softly

Feb 13, 2019
Here today, gone tomorrow. Life really is that precious. We don’t know our time, but we do know it’s inevitable that we won’t be here forever.

As this topic is part of my current season, it has me thinking a lot about choices and decisions. Am I living the life I want to live? Am I leaning on God to guide me? Am I making use of my time? Am I treasuring moments with those around me?

So I ask you those questions too. How are you using your time? Do you feel good about it? What kind of growth or changes do you want to see and make? Are there things you’d like to do before your day arrives? Are you spending time with those in your life?

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
I live my time like it’s Christmas and Eastern every day and I Love it.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Good question
I guess with lockdowns and virus going round people are either isolating OR stuck with each other and that has made some people two things....either angry or thankful.

I think whatver circumstances you find yourself in, you need to make the best of it and see God in it.
In prison (or isolation) is actually where a lot of people learn to read because they have never had the time before.

On other hand, if you are with family, its a time when you can be together instead of everyone going off into all different directions.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
"Nobody lies on his deathbed wishing he had spent more time at the office."

Unfortunately that old saying never did tell me what people DO wish they had spent more time on. I guess that one is left up to people to decide for themselves.

It seems like most people never get around to figuring that out until they get old.

RodB651

Feb 11, 2021
Here today, gone tomorrow. Life really is that precious. We don’t know our time, but we do know it’s inevitable that we won’t be here forever.

As this topic is part of my current season, it has me thinking a lot about choices and decisions. Am I living the life I want to live? Am I leaning on God to guide me? Am I making use of my time? Am I treasuring moments with those around me?

So I ask you those questions too. How are you using your time? Do you feel good about it? What kind of growth or changes do you want to see and make? Are there things you’d like to do before your day arrives? Are you spending time with those in your life?
Interesting topic Love_comes_softly,..
1) Am I living the life I want to live? ..
Well, kinda sorta maybe but not quite. There are things I would like to do, but just can't do that right now. Camping is on my to-do list. Not the short weekend kind of camping, but getting out for a week at a time kind.

2) Am I leaning on God to guide me?..
Yes I am. Psalm 37:4, 5 say this ...
4 Delight yourself in the Lord,
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
5 Commit your way to the Lord;
trust in him, and he will act.
Getting my desires to align with His desires for me. This is something I've really been focusing on.

3) Am I making use of my time?..
I'm trying to make better use of my time. At work, I used to sit in the breakroom during my breaks, mindlessly scanning my phone apps etc... looking for something to occupy my mind. My breaks are now spent outside doing prayer walks and just listening to see if there is that still small voice. I also think about family and what I should be doing as Dad. What is my place in this life and what should I be doing different or doing better at.

4) Are you spending time with those in your life?..
As best I can. Sometimes that's hard to do because family has lives of their own. I'm fortunate that at my age (56), I still have my parents and I see my Dad when possible. My Mom lives with me. The kids are grown except for one who's still got a few years. We have a good time when together.

The second round of questions.
5) What kind of growth or changes do I want to see or make?
Well I am taking on more study and reading in my quiet time. That I may know Him and His ways... I know that's kind of a standard answer, but it really is something I'm spending more time on.

6) Are there things you'd like to do before your day arrives?
I just live out each day as I get them and try to make the most of each. I would like to visit the Kotel and stand and pray with the others who are there and just enjoy that moment.

RB

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Interesting topic Love_comes_softly,..
1) Am I living the life I want to live? ..
Well, kinda sorta maybe but not quite. There are things I would like to do, but just can't do that right now. Camping is on my to-do list. Not the short weekend kind of camping, but getting out for a week at a time kind.

2) Am I leaning on God to guide me?..
Yes I am. Psalm 37:4, 5 say this ...
4 Delight yourself in the Lord,
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
5 Commit your way to the Lord;
trust in him, and he will act.
Getting my desires to align with His desires for me. This is something I've really been focusing on.

3) Am I making use of my time?..
I'm trying to make better use of my time. At work, I used to sit in the breakroom during my breaks, mindlessly scanning my phone apps etc... looking for something to occupy my mind. My breaks are now spent outside doing prayer walks and just listening to see if there is that still small voice. I also think about family and what I should be doing as Dad. What is my place in this life and what should I be doing different or doing better at.

4) Are you spending time with those in your life?..
As best I can. Sometimes that's hard to do because family has lives of their own. I'm fortunate that at my age (56), I still have my parents and I see my Dad when possible. My Mom lives with me. The kids are grown except for one who's still got a few years. We have a good time when together.

The second round of questions.
5) What kind of growth or changes do I want to see or make?
Well I am taking on more study and reading in my quiet time. That I may know Him and His ways... I know that's kind of a standard answer, but it really is something I'm spending more time on.

6) Are there things you'd like to do before your day arrives?
I just live out each day as I get them and try to make the most of each. I would like to visit the Kotel and stand and pray with the others who are there and just enjoy that moment.

RB
Wow... this was thoughtful. And honest.

I would submit my own response to this, but it would involve subjects and topics that I'd get lectured on, and in my impatience with the answers, I might say something I'd regret later.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
So I ask you those questions too.

How are you using your time?
Poorly and feeling incapable of changing that.

Do you feel good about it?
Absolutely not.

What kind of growth or changes do you want to see and make?
More than I can keep track of, let alone accomplish.

Are there things you’d like to do before you die?
There probably were a few things when I was younger, but I've given up on wasting my time hoping.

Are you spending time with those in your life?
Yes, my father, but not in any meaningful way.

17Bees

Oct 14, 2016
Heady questions there LCS! Am I living the life I want to live? That in itself is here today and gone tomorrow. I think so though . I think life is a series of ever refining circumstances. I wasn't born to do what I'm doing, but I can see a form of what i'm doing, if that makes any sense. So to answer your other questions, I'm only doing what is sort of immediately important. In other words, there's no real legacy to my work in life. I'm not trying to disparage what I do, but any rewards of what I do are only immediately justified.

I don't think I'm making sense. I'll try again. I think if one is a teacher there might be generational reward. There's long lasting legacy to their life's work A teacher can affect many lives over maybe three generations. But most work, including mine, is a kind of maintenance of the status quo. It gets the job done of the now.

So, yes I like what I'm doing and it's important, but when there's a time for retrospection I think I'd come up lacking, but not regretful.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Every time I see this title, an old Hinsons song drifts through my mind.

17Bees

Oct 14, 2016
Every time I see this title, an old Hinsons song drifts through my mind.

The Hinsons??? Lynx, you're amazing. You keep dragging up these old groups. Only the Hinsons keep on giving. It's like if one dies, they've got another Hinsons. As long as there's a Hinson out there that can keep a note, your future is secure.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Okay okay, ya talked me into it. If anyone gives me any lip...

I am doing the best I can, I believe. I am NOT tooting my own horn, but:

I seek God daily, both in prayer and in His word.
I attend church regularly.
I do not have a sin in my life I am unwilling to confess to God.
I work out regularly, and generally try to watch my diet. My overall health is good.
I make time for tutorials so that I can try to stay relevant in my field.
I watch my budget meticulously, do not spend beyond my means, and save rather rigorously. My credit rating is near 800.
I am not where I want to be, however.

I need a purpose, a reason for having been created. Currently, I see nothing.
I am alone. No friends here in AZ, no girl-friend, no actual date since March, 2011. I must be one fugly dude.
Spiritually I am doing my best, but wonder sometimes if God's not losing His patience with me. There are some sins that are especially hard to push back, so every day I find myself guilty of them.

So, I need meaning, companionship, and an assurance that God's good with me in my current state and with my current efforts.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Heady questions there LCS! Am I living the life I want to live? That in itself is here today and gone tomorrow. I think so though . I think life is a series of ever refining circumstances. I wasn't born to do what I'm doing, but I can see a form of what i'm doing, if that makes any sense. So to answer your other questions, I'm only doing what is sort of immediately important. In other words, there's no real legacy to my work in life. I'm not trying to disparage what I do, but any rewards of what I do are only immediately justified.

I don't think I'm making sense. I'll try again. I think if one is a teacher there might be generational reward. There's long lasting legacy to their life's work A teacher can affect many lives over maybe three generations. But most work, including mine, is a kind of maintenance of the status quo. It gets the job done of the now.

So, yes I like what I'm doing and it's important, but when there's a time for retrospection I think I'd come up lacking, but not regretful.
I understand you well, I think.

What would you need to be doing to provide that legacy?

For the record, that is exactly the state I'm in. I like my work (sometimes), it can be satisfying, but it in an of itself is not enough.

love_comes_softly

Feb 13, 2019
Thank you all for your thoughtful answers. I realize it could actually be quite personal. I appreciate you sharing.

I tend to reflect on things regularly and with a recent loss in the family it’s increased that reflecting.

I think we can’t really go wrong when God is our center. We could be doing anything and be in the best place if He remains our focus. I personally find that life can be distracting. It’s easy to get busy and get stuck in a routine. I don’t believe I’ve done anything wrong with that exactly, but I can definitely manage time and priorities better. That’s what I have to share so far.

For those that don’t see themselves where you’d think you’d be or want to be, I pray the Lord comfort you and provide both peace and direction.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Thank you all for your thoughtful answers. I realize it could actually be quite personal. I appreciate you sharing.

I tend to reflect on things regularly and with a recent loss in the family it’s increased that reflecting.

I think we can’t really go wrong when God is our center. We could be doing anything and be in the best place if He remains our focus. I personally find that life can be distracting. It’s easy to get busy and get stuck in a routine. I don’t believe I’ve done anything wrong with that exactly, but I can definitely manage time and priorities better. That’s what I have to share so far.

For those that don’t see themselves where you’d think you’d be or want to be, I pray the Lord comfort you and provide both peace and direction.
Well thank you. That's kind.

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
This topic made me think of the song "Basics of Life" by 4Him
Back to the topic... life is precious. It's definitely a gift from God and should not be taken for granted.
I think the most important thing in this life is to work on relationships with God, family, and friends and take lots of pictures.
That's the best use of our time.