Hey y'all.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 18, 2021
Just thought I'd send a greeting. I posted a couple of poems, but they have gone awol.

I'm a Christian with attitude. I think the major problem facing we moral agents is to eradicate poverty globally while simultaneously remaining comfortably within the Earth's ecological carrying capacity. Therefore, I don't have much time for rich Christians. A couple of years ago (pre-Covid) I did some back of an envelope calculations based on numbers by Credit Suisse. It seems that if all wealth in the world were equally distributed we would each (man, woman and child) have a net worth of some $33,000 and an annual income around $27,000. I live happily and contentedly within these margins, so it is certainly possible.

I do not advocate an equal distribution of wealth, however, but an equitable one. Some jobs are harder than others, and require lengthy training or education, and these should be rewarded in financial terms. Nevertheless, I'm inclined to think many of the poor are poor because the rich hog all the wealth. No one needs a million dollars, particularly when so many have to eke out their meagre lives on less than $2 per day.

Other than that trajectory, my pilgrim journey through our faith has led me to be a 'mere' Christian in the CS Lewis sense of that description. I am non-denominational and reserve the right to take the best each denomination has to offer and disregard the rest.

So much for me. Comments are welcome.

Best wishes to you all. 2RM.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Your poems are still in the Poetry forum. On your profile page click Find, and then click Threads. You will see the threads that you have created along with all posts submitted to the thread. All of the wealth in this world will never be equally distributed. The bible says that here will always be the poor. Glad to have you onboard with us. Welcome to CC.

Aug 18, 2021
Yes, Jesus did say 'the poor you will always have with you.' However taken in scriptural context, it is clear He was talking to His disciples in their time. Not us in ours. For the first ever in history we have the wealth to end poverty, and I think we should do that as an economic and political priority,

Best wishes, 2RM.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Nice to have you joining the discussions and fellowship here at CC! While I see your point, the greedy rich will never give up their status, until they tumble, God help them. I can't speak for all rich Christians, but the ones I would and do support, do much good. There is a world-wide ministry that rescues children being trafficked and of course Samaritan's Purse that goes to disaster struck areas with much supplies. If I don't trust someone I don't give to them.
God bless you 2RM and I wonder how you like life in the UK? I watch many shows/movies filmed there🙂

Aug 18, 2021
I don't do very much due to illness, but I love being in the the UK. It is a kind and caring place to be. All we need is better weather! Thank you for your welcome.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Aug 18, 2021
... I can't speak for all rich Christians, but the ones I would and do support, do much good. ...🙂
Of course they do. It occurs to me to note, however, that if the wealth of the world were better allocated, no-one would need their charity.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
Just thought I'd send a greeting. I posted a couple of poems, but they have gone awol.

I'm a Christian with attitude. I think the major problem facing we moral agents is to eradicate poverty globally while simultaneously remaining comfortably within the Earth's ecological carrying capacity. Therefore, I don't have much time for rich Christians. A couple of years ago (pre-Covid) I did some back of an envelope calculations based on numbers by Credit Suisse. It seems that if all wealth in the world were equally distributed we would each (man, woman and child) have a net worth of some $33,000 and an annual income around $27,000. I live happily and contentedly within these margins, so it is certainly possible.

I do not advocate an equal distribution of wealth, however, but an equitable one. Some jobs are harder than others, and require lengthy training or education, and these should be rewarded in financial terms. Nevertheless, I'm inclined to think many of the poor are poor because the rich hog all the wealth. No one needs a million dollars, particularly when so many have to eke out their meagre lives on less than $2 per day.

Other than that trajectory, my pilgrim journey through our faith has led me to be a 'mere' Christian in the CS Lewis sense of that description. I am non-denominational and reserve the right to take the best each denomination has to offer and disregard the rest.

So much for me. Comments are welcome.

Best wishes to you all. 2RM.
Yo welcome.

God's re-distribution plan is "Give and it shall be given you again ... good measure"

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Yes, Jesus did say 'the poor you will always have with you.' However taken in scriptural context, it is clear He was talking to His disciples in their time. Not us in ours. For the first ever in history we have the wealth to end poverty, and I think we should do that as an economic and political priority,

Best wishes, 2RM.
There are those who will not work. Can't force them, and I'm not going to support a measure that takes my money and gives it to them.

It is also not your call to say how much money a person needs or ought to have. That's up to their work ethic and God's provision. Limiting one's earning potential will reduce their ambition, which will reduce innovation.

Aug 18, 2021
...It is also not your call to say how much money a person needs or ought to have....
Agreed. But we share this world, and its resources, so it is all our call as to how it's wealth should be distributed.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Agreed. But we share this world, and its resources, so it is all our call as to how it's wealth should be distributed.

Best wishes, 2RM.
And that is therefore an individual choice, not one left up to a 'system' or power structure of some sort.

If God blesses you as a billionaire, I know you would never complain, nor would you want the government to come in and decide that you don't need even a million of that, and take the rest from you. However, you would have the freedom of choice to willfully surrender that to every charity that moved you.

Aug 18, 2021
The thing is, there are billionaires who show no sign of giving any of it away, and even resist paying their due levels of tax. I can't say if they are Christian or not, but judging by the parable of Lazarus the beggar, they need Jesus more than they need their millions.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
The thing is, there are billionaires who show no sign of giving any of it away, and even resist paying their due levels of tax. I can't say if they are Christian or not, but judging by the parable of Lazarus the beggar, they need Jesus more than they need their millions.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Oh well of course. But, forcing them to give it up is not the solution.

Aug 18, 2021
I think we need to have courage in our convictions. The poor are dying of hunger out there. That can't be right, or a fair and just distribution of God's providence, and we Christians should be pressing home that point at every opportunity.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I think we need to have courage in our convictions. The poor are dying of hunger out there. That can't be right, or a fair and just distribution of God's providence, and we Christians should be pressing home that point at every opportunity.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Social pressure? Sure. If their hearts are hardened to the Holy Spirit, market forces can certainly persuade them. I got no problem with that.