Hi guys...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 12, 2024
...I'm Annie and I recently made a decision to try to know God better.

I grew up in a Christian home. But for some of you that also grew up like this, you know that you start to treat and feel like God is a routine, instead of a father and friend.

So recently, I really hit rock bottom. And it's kind of like the 5th time this is happening to me in the past 3 years.

And every single time before now, I'm pretty sure I could feel him calling me. So I went after him alone- pretty much the same way I handle every situation In my life. No guidance, no friends- even though I didn't know how to go after Him. I said some prayers and pulled away again after some time.

But this time is going to be different. I really need guidance on how to draw closer to Him, guys. I know that one of the ways is to read the Bible, but I don't even know where to start. Anytime I try, it sounds boring. That alone makes me feel hopeless.

I don't want to have to hit rock bottom before I seek him. Please help.

And thanks in advance❤

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Hi Annie welcome to the fellowship here at CC, so lovely to meet you! This is a good place to mingle with other believers and I'm sure many of us have our own stories to tell. I like to watch some good preachers mainly on faith, go to church online and in person and do zoom Bible studies. Also praying and reading/studying the Bible helps a lot. God bless & keep you and hope you make many new friends here🙏🌹

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia

I grew up in a Christian home. But for some of you that also grew up like this, you know that you start to treat and feel like God is a routine, instead of a father and friend.

So recently, I really hit rock bottom. And it's kind of like the 5th time this is happening to me in the past 3 years.

And every single time before now, I'm pretty sure I could feel him calling me. So I went after him alone- pretty much the same way I handle every situation In my life. No guidance, no friends- even though I didn't know how to go after Him. I said some prayers and pulled away again after some time.

But this time is going to be different. I really need guidance on how to draw closer to Him, guys. I know that one of the ways is to read the Bible, but I don't even know where to start. Anytime I try, it sounds boring. That alone makes me feel hopeless.

And thanks in advance❤
II Chronicles 16

"9For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him."

☕😊👍

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I know that one of the ways is to read the Bible, but I don't even know where to start.
Reading the Bible alone can be difficult at times. Have you tried watching movies of
the gospel accounts? There are some quite good ones, word-for-Word, like this one:

^ Gospel of John is often recommended as a great place to start reading the Bible.

Have you heard of the Alpha Course?

There are 10 videos total. I hope you watch them. They could benefit you greatly :)

You might also want to check neighborhood churches to see if anyone is hosting
the Alpha course in your area. It would also be a great way to make new friends!

BillyBob

Dec 20, 2023
Texas

And thanks in advance❤
Annie,
I won't even pretend to know what you mean by hitting rock bottom, but I can tell you for certain that you should not try to learn about God without the help of others. Going it alone will more than likely result in another failure. Becoming a believer and gaining knowledge usually requires surrounding yourself with others who have the same desire.

Therefore, I would suggest that you find a good church in the area in which you live. By that, I don't mean to look for the one with the best rock band or gospel singing group, but find a church that faithfully proclaims the word of God. To speed things up, I would suggest listening to sermons on the web from churches in your area before actually attending. That may help narrow down your choices.

After you have decided on a church, ask others about getting into a women's Bible Study. Don't be afraid to join the group. They are just like you, they are trying to gain more knowledge just as you are. Some will have a lot of knowledge, others will be rather new – like yourself.
Just remember, becoming close to God usually means becoming a part of a community of believers! May God help you in this effort.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021

And thanks in advance❤
Welcome. A start is to confess all to your Lord and Saviour Jesus. It does not matter how bad you are, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner" holds good for today as well as 2,000 years ago. Promise God nothing. You've proven how good you are at saving yourself. Let Jesus sort you out. It's His business.

My advice is to write your prayers like a diary. It helps to focus your thoughts instead of your mind running wild. Ask Jesus to lead you and guide you to the right path. Will it work? For sure. If you mean business with God, He will meet you where you are at. How do I know? Been there, done that.

You might feel a bit weird writing out your prayers. I did. But it gets easier. I still do, about 30 years after I first started.

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
R (6) - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg Friendly.png

"Trying to know God better...the "million dollar question" and I am not going to suggest
any one thing as I believe each individual shall somehow find their path, if it is meant to be.
I have learned over the years, through my spiritual acceptance that God is a spiritual being
and I must have a spiritual awareness of His inspired love and wisdom and strive to conduct
my life accordingly and think of it as having a 'friend' always present with wisdom for me to apply
and act upon in my own life...here in the now."

Hali77

Apr 12, 2024
Welcome Annie! Good for you for trying to become closer to God again! It’s especially tough to do if you’re the only one doing it out of all the people you know. I agree with some of the other comments about finding a good church to attend. When o hit my bottom in 2011 due to emotional traumas, a friend of mine suggesting I try the church he was attending. After a few weeks, I finally got up the courage to try it out. The people were welcoming and kind. The Pastor talked about loving Jesus, but at the time, I didn’t understand how people could love someone they can’t even see. Still, I continued to go. I can’t pinpoint the moment it happened, but I got to the point where I NEEDED to be there every Sunday. And then I started coming out of there feeling better than when I went in. Before I knew it, I was involved in church activities and got baptized in 2012. The church had become more like my home than my actual home. We moved away a little while after that and I fell away from the church for a few years. But, just like you, God called me back last year. In His flock of 100 sheep, the Good Shepherd will always leave the 99 if one strays, to bring them back. Thats what He did for me last year, and that’s what He’s doing for you now! He loves you that much!!
In addition to finding a good church, I would start reading your Bible in the New Testament. Take your time reading the pieces of scripture, and let His love pour over you when you realize how they apply to you.
Take time during your day to talk to Jesus, like you would a friend. He hears everything, and will never leave you, even when it feels like He’s not there.
May He bless you and draw you closer to Him as you find your way back.

Feb 22, 2024
Try going to services more. I personally practice Eastern orthodoxy and it changed my life around.. Be patient with prayer, it comes with time and you will need to do your best to detach from sin. Beside the Bible, there are teachings of holy fathers that are extremely valuable and understandable for everyone. The eastern orthodoxy is the original christianty, but don't believe me just go to the orthodox church to the holy liturgy and you will figure it out. I wish you the best of luck!