Hints & tips to save money forum.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

tasha66

I thought a forum for ways to save money is a good idea.
For example, switching off all your power points after you use them, when you are asleep or go out, can save hundreds of dollars on your utillity bill. Shopping at op shop stores such as Goodwill / Salvation Army firstly for goods can save vast amounts of money too, especially on clothes.
We could all post random ideas on every day things, like cheap meals, gardening tips (growing your own food if possible), etc.

T

tasha66

Tip of the day:
Try shopping at your local market/supermarket late at night or just before it closes. Usually, you will get good bargains on discounted meat and bread, and anything that doesn't have a long shelf life. Also at some supermarkets or smaller grocery franchises, I have been able to bargain down a price for something, as the owners would rather make some money off of selling the good/s, rather than just throwing the good/s out as they lose money doing this.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
They won't make a forum for that. I believe there is a thread or two on this subject in the Ladies forum, and possibly Misc. forum. :)

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
New forums are created by demand, not suggestions. And the number of forums is purposefully kept to a minimum to make it easier to navigate. This is more of a thread idea than a forum idea, anyways.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
put the thread idea in miscellaneous. Its a good idea but probably not enough for an entire forum. This CC doesnt have many forums Ive noticed it can be a bit narrow. Theres good things and bad things about this restriction. I dont know if someone has to pay for a new forum to be created cos people keep suggesting things and CC seems very stingy about the number of forums here.

Even when theres a demand people some ppl are like oh no more work.
But the point of having a variety is so theres LESS work navigating amongst different topics and sorting wheat from the chaff.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
put the thread idea in miscellaneous. Its a good idea but probably not enough for an entire forum. This CC doesnt have many forums Ive noticed it can be a bit narrow. Theres good things and bad things about this restriction. I dont know if someone has to pay for a new forum to be created cos people keep suggesting things and CC seems very stingy about the number of forums here.

Even when theres a demand people some ppl are like oh no more work.
But the point of having a variety is so theres LESS work navigating amongst different topics and sorting wheat from the chaff.
The number of sub forums is purposefully kept small to make navigating the site easier. And even as small and simple as it is now people often times still struggle to know where to put things.
The more subforums to dig through the less that get used and the more that get lost into obscurity. I've been on sites with lots of subforums and hated it. Nearly every single one was dead because it was too much for people to keep up with.

von1

Apr 22, 2010
Tip of the day:
Try shopping at your local market/supermarket late at night or just before it closes. Usually, you will get good bargains on discounted meat and bread, and anything that doesn't have a long shelf life. Also at some supermarkets or smaller grocery franchises, I have been able to bargain down a price for something, as the owners would rather make some money off of selling the good/s, rather than just throwing the good/s out as they lose money doing this.
Thanks for sharing, you have made very good points on saving. Sometimes on certain products, I use coupons to save money.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Its usually the bread that gets discounted first.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I thought a forum for ways to save money is a good idea.
For example, switching off all your power points after you use them, when you are asleep or go out, can save hundreds of dollars on your utillity bill. Shopping at op shop stores such as Goodwill / Salvation Army firstly for goods can save vast amounts of money too, especially on clothes.
We could all post random ideas on every day things, like cheap meals, gardening tips (growing your own food if possible), etc.
I like it. I used to have a blog called Penny Pinched and there is a lot of info that people like to share. It is also good to have encouragement from others to stay the course of frugal living. There are "no spend" month challenges and "eat from your pantry" challenges. I think we could learn a lot from each other with a forum like this.

T

tasha66

OK well I will crete a thread then. I probably didn't mean a forum, just a thread, as I was new here when I typed and suggested this.
I will copy my original ideas and start a new one in the miscellaneous section.
Feel free to jump in !

T

tasha66

I like it. I used to have a blog called Penny Pinched and there is a lot of info that people like to share. It is also good to have encouragement from others to stay the course of frugal living. There are "no spend" month challenges and "eat from your pantry" challenges. I think we could learn a lot from each other with a forum like this.
Thanks, I have created a new thread in the miscellaneous section if you are at all interested! :)

T

tasha66

Thanks for sharing, you have made very good points on saving. Sometimes on certain products, I use coupons to save money.

Thanks, I have created a new thread in the miscellaneous section if you are at all interested! :)
The coupons idea is something you could post in my forum.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014

The coupons idea is something you could post in my forum.
People won't be able to post on it until an admin comes online and approves it..

T

tasha66

People won't be able to post on it until an admin comes online and approves it..
Yes I know, but it's late here so I'm guessing most people on our side of the globe will be going to bed soon, and on the other side of the globe they will just be waking up. So they can jump in when they can.
The others who are inbetween well, they will figure it out eventually I guess! ;)

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
You won't be able to penny pinch anymore. Pennies are being discontinued next year..

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
I try to buy in bulk things that the household needs replacing on a regular basis. Paper towels, toilet tissue, dish and laundry soap, etc..

To save money, I take the change I have in my pocket at the end of the day and stash it in a jar. If I have but a dollar or two also, I stash that away.
I did this for a whole year last year. After I retrieved the bills I went to my local credit union and changed out the change for cash. No fee.
I had over $600.00.
I surprised even myself.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I try to buy in bulk things that the household needs replacing on a regular basis. Paper towels, toilet tissue, dish and laundry soap, etc..

To save money, I take the change I have in my pocket at the end of the day and stash it in a jar. If I have but a dollar or two also, I stash that away.
I did this for a whole year last year. After I retrieved the bills I went to my local credit union and changed out the change for cash. No fee.
I had over $600.00.
I surprised even myself.
That is brilliant. You made more by saving your change than you could have earned in interest. Excellent.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
That is brilliant. You made more by saving your change than you could have earned in interest. Excellent.
I couldn't believe the counter as the change was being filtered into the machine. I had double bagged plastic grocery bags so there would be less chance of one splitting due to the coin weight. I never imagined I'd have that much money collected in an old family pickle jar.
It figures to about $50 dollars a month saved from coins in my pocket. Seven days a week per month. Not bad.

I loved the tellers eyes when she read the coin count after I handed her the change receipt so she could cash it out. :giggle:
She commented, somebody's thrifty. :LOL: