I see it like this...
I got saved, I no longer desired the things of sin, but the things of God. It is a proven fact that when people get saved they no longer desire the things of the world. It has happened to more people than I can count. At least at SOME level, people change. Why? Because we are CRUCIFIED with Christ and empowered by Holy Spirit. It's not the whole enchilada, but the Kingdom of God is starting to flow in our lives.
Repentance, I just did something stupid. Whether or not I confess my sin, ask for forgiveness, or any of those things, at the end of the day no matter how it started, in the end for the transformation and alignment to occur I have to "change my focus". and agree with Him. I turn back to God, His ways, and His truth. The Kingdom is flowing again.
Renewing of the mind, I say and do what He is saying and doing (Jesus gave us this example). I agree with what Scripture says about who I am in Christ. And as I keep turning, keep repenting, keep agreeing, the will of God starts to manifest in my life. This is called "Fruit of the Spirit" in Scripture. Many argue that this fruit is a multiple sided-fruit that actually flows out of love. He is Love. His will is love. The Kingdom is flowing again.
Mind of Christ, walking by the Spirit, etc. I am continually focusing on Him, I hear His voice, I receive His love, He is bringing me and through me, things around me into righteousness or right-standing/right-alignment. What alignment? His Kingdom.
I am to pray continually, what am I praying? I am praying as Jesus said for His Will (Kingdom) to be here on Earth as it is in Heaven.
I get to share my testimonies (stories of His goodness) and other people experience the good news (Gospel) in my life which leads them into seeing the goodness and kindness of God. Do I tell them about their sin? YEP. In comparison to the goodness of God and how sin is dirty, disgusting, and leads to death. And how the enemy wants to steal, kill, and destroy, but Jesus came to give them life.
Now the Kingdom is at hand for them. They get to see the fruit of the Kingdom (because I obey Him). Just as Jesus only did what He saw His Father do.
Which now leads them into repentance. Why? Because they encounter His goodness, His kindness, and ultimately His love. Love casts out fear, so as I love like He loved me, fear in people starts to be cast out and they start to realize how good God is! They start becoming less afraid of the light for fear their deeds will be exposed (think Adam/Eve in the bushes).
And they start to realize how unsearchable are His riches in Christ, and what an honor and a privilege it is to follow Him. This is true repentance from the heart. Not as slaves, but sons. By which the Spirit cries out Abba. He desires a cheerful giver. He desires cheerful obedience. Not like the older son who worked the fields, but His Only Son who continued in His will for the joy set before Him.
And this same Son, Jesus Christ, also called the Vine, is flowing out of my life, as I agree with His Spirit (And what He declares through His Spirit)... this is abiding in Christ.... and then the branches are fruitful. The Kingdom is flowing.
People say you don't have fruit! You need to get to work. But work is about us, not God, fruit is about moving with God. Or what Scripture calls following after the Spirit. So what is the Spirit like? Well we know He doesn't ask from us what He Himself doesn't walk in or supply through His grace, so we say at the least He is: love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
These attributes of the Spirit manifest themselves to the degree the person believes/agrees/obeys/renews their mind/repents with the empowering work of the cross. And as we joyfully obey our Father saying and doing what He is.
These attributes are fruit not works of the flesh.
Faith without works? No - faith empowers works. Faith is spiritual in a sense, because it is the things "unseen". But the things unseen are permanent. Do we continue in sin? NO. Why did Paul have to say that? Because it appeared to many his message of grace gave people freedom to sin.
But it actually empowered them to not only not sin, but also to not desire sin. And even more importantly, to receive love from God and give His love away. Telling people He is no longer counting their trespasses against them as His ambassador of reconciliation.
But what about sin? Why would we continue in it, when we died to it? I agree. I hate sin. But even worse than that, is a hypocrit, one who says don't sin, but doesn't know how to love. After all He wants us to reveal His glory, express His nature, show the world the knowledge of Him, and He is love.
Why else would Paul say IF I DO, IF I KNOW, IF I HAVE all things - without love - I am, have, gain NOTHING.
It's all rubbish in comparison to knowing Christ.
But if we focus on works only we forget the empowering part of the gospel. And now we fall into the trap of trying to perfect ourselves by the flesh. Instead of the Author and Finisher of our faith. We have fallen from grace. Why is this important? Because we are no longer saved? No I don't believe so. But what does Paul continually pray in the beginning and end of his letters, what does he say that we would multiply in? Grace.
For us the believers to not apprehend grace, how then can the world? How will they see His goodness, His glory, how will His knowledge spread if we ourselves don't see, don't believe, don't receive, and don't understand it? Who will tell them the good news if no one goes? Many go, but they need to be armed with the good news of God.
He is here. He is good. He is love. And He has set us free. Now love freely. Just as He loved you.
C.