His mercy, compassion and grace, our response to them

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Johnny_B

Mar 18, 2017
Roman 9:14-18 “What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means!15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.”

The Greek words for, have compassion, is “OIKTEIRŌ” means “to have pity, a feeling of distress through the ills of others, is used of God’s compassion. Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words.

From BAGD, “have compassion”

The Greek word for, have/has mercy, is “ELEEŌ” means “to feel sympathy with the misery of another, and especially sympathy manifested in act, (a) in the Active Voice, to have pity or mercy on, to show mercy to” Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words.

From BAGD, “have mercy or pity, be merciful, show mercy to someone, help someone (out of pity), feel pity”

Ephesians 2:4-10 “But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us,5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—6 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,7 so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,[SUB]9 [/SUB]not a result of works, so that no one may boast.10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”

With Ephesians 2:1-3 explaining to us our state before God’s mercy is extended to us verse 4 start with But God, being rich in mercy. We have seen what mercy is, it is God feeling sympathy with our misery and He acts on it by His grace that we are saved and justified. But because God is rich in mercy and the great love with which He loved us, He made us alive with Christ while we were still dead in our trespasses, by grace we are saved.

Romans 3:21-26 “But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it—22 the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,24 and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,25 whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins.26 It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.”

The Greek word for grace “CHARIS” (a) that which bestows or occasions pleasure, delight, or causes favorable regard; it is applied, e.g., to beauty, or gracefulness of person”

BAGD “favor, grace, gracious care or help, goodwill- that which one grants to another, the action of one who volunteers to do something to which he is not bound”

So we see that mercy, compassion and grace are God’s part of our salvation because grace is a gift and His propitiation by His blood, to be received by faith and verse 26 makes it clear that He is just and the justifier of those who has faith in Jesus. Then verse 27 lets us know that faith is not before grace to be justified

27 Then what becomes of our boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? By a law of works? No, but by the law of faith.28 For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law.29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also,30 since God is one—who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith.31 Do we then overthrow the law by this faith? By no means! On the contrary, we uphold the law.”

Faith or to believe is the work or response to what He has done for us.

John 6:27-29 “Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal.”28 Then they said to him, “What must we do, to be doing the works of God?”29 Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”

God's sovereign gift of salvation for us and our response to His sovereignty is our faith/believe/repent, Romans 3:24 we receive His propitiation by faith, because grace is a gift from God so that not one of us can boast that we did something to save ourselves. Our response to God's gift is place our faith in Him to receive His propitiation. The Law and the Prophets bear witness to this in Habakkuk 2:4
“Behold, his soul is puffed up; it is not upright within him,
but the righteous shall live by his faith."

Paul bears witness to this in Romans 1:17
“For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.”

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
What "Source" did you get this from? You should post the Source, and perhaps provide a "link" to it.

just saying

Johnny_B

Mar 18, 2017
What "Source" did you get this from? You should post the Source, and perhaps provide a "link" to it.

just saying
I did post the source of the Greek and the books from the Bible that I quoted.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks for posting this! I just read Romans 9 in Greek this evening, and it was good to see it in English, but in context of the Greek. I was a little surprised at the word, oikteiro, for compassion when I read it. I am not familiar with this wird, being more familiar with splagchnizomai, σπλαγχνίζομαι!

I did a word study in Hebrew on compassion, or racham, and compares it to Greek words in the LXX and Greek NT. I also found compassion to be linked with mercy and grace.

A

Ariel82

Awesome! Thanks

Johnny_B

Mar 18, 2017
Thanks for posting this! I just read Romans 9 in Greek this evening, and it was good to see it in English, but in context of the Greek. I was a little surprised at the word, oikteiro, for compassion when I read it. I am not familiar with this wird, being more familiar with splagchnizomai, σπλαγχνίζομαι!

I did a word study in Hebrew on compassion, or racham, and compares it to Greek words in the LXX and Greek NT. I also found compassion to be linked with mercy and grace.
It is interesting how Romans 9:15 with mercy and compassion being so close to the same word, Paul is making a emphasis on God's mercy and compassion. It is almost like he is saying God will be mercifully compassionate on who He will be compassionately mercifull on.

it is interesting that for the denition of mercy in the google dictionary has this deffinition for mercy "(especially of a journey or mission) performed out of a desire to relieve suffering; motivated by compassion." This is exactly what the Father did for us, becuse of His mercy He relieved our suffering because He is motivated bt compassion.

I am glad you liked this, I am really suprised that those that disagree you the sovernignty of the Lord in our salvation have not picked it a part. It is not these are the only Scripture that teach this about His sovernignty in our salvation
and our response to His love for us.

Johnny_B

Mar 18, 2017

Exodus 33:19 “Then He said, “I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.”

The word for "gracious" in the Hebrew is "​hānan"; in general, the word means "to favor," "to show kindness" to an inferior and "to be compassionate." All OT passages are derived from the same root, and yet there are two evident shades of meaning derived from it. (1) As above, :favorable" or, causative, "to cause to be gracious," as "Jeh make His face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto them"; "the Lord is gracious and full of compassion". (2) In a modified sense, "graceful," "winsome"or"attractive," as applied particularly to persons and things.

The word is used once in the NT from the root of Greek word, chrēstós, meaning "useful" as a benifit: "if ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious" (I Peter 2:3).

In the main, however, the adj. is applied in the OT to Jeh, as indicative of His favor and mercy, His long-suffering and general inclination of favor and kindness. WALTER G. CLIPPINGER

From The International Stanadard Bible Encyclopedia Copyright 1939, 1956 editor James Orr, M. A., D. D.

Again without the Lord's gracious mercy we could never be saved, if His
sovereignty does not cause us to be born again we are done or never started. Without His sovereign grace motivated by His glorious mercy there is no salvation for ny man.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
K........thanks

That Greek is.......well.........it's all Greek to me

I did post the source of the Greek and the books from the Bible that I quoted.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I heard it said that grace is getting what we don't deserve, and mercy is not getting what we do deserve. God rolled both of those into one package, because of his love and compassion, and that package is Jesus Christ!

Johnny_B

Mar 18, 2017
I heard it said that grace is getting what we don't deserve, and mercy is not getting what we do deserve. God rolled both of those into one package, because of his love and compassion, and that package is Jesus Christ!

Amen, because we all deserve hell fire, but it is so merciful that He does not send us to the flames of hell. Then on top of that He give us His grace that awaken us to place our faith in Him and repent to receive His propitiation, after receiving His gift of grace.

Feb 28, 2016
we do not 'deserve hell fire', we deserve what God/Jesus has ordained for each of us -
if you feel un-worthy, then so be it, but we believe God/Jesus and His choice for those of us
whom He calls in their life-time, how ever they may think of themselves, we believe in Him
and His choice of whom He desires to call and choose, and believe that He has separated us
for we are 'called and chosen, and elected!...READ YOUR BIBLE...

Johnny_B

Mar 18, 2017
we do not 'deserve hell fire', we deserve what God/Jesus has ordained for each of us -
if you feel un-worthy, then so be it, but we believe God/Jesus and His choice for those of us
whom He calls in their life-time, how ever they may think of themselves, we believe in Him
and His choice of whom He desires to call and choose, and believe that He has separated us
for we are 'called and chosen, and elected
!...READ YOUR BIBLE...

My brother, many people read the Bible, the problem is that they read what they believe, they do not believe what they read. In the same way that elders, pastors and preachers, they do not teach the Bible, they teach from the Bible.

Sometimes they take this to reading Scripture that others post when they think that that person believes something different then what they believe or what the Bible teaches. The Scriptures I posted here are all about Foreknowledge, Predestination, Election, Union With Christ, Calling, Regeneration, Faith/Believe, Repentance, Justification, Adoption, Sanctification, Persevation/Perseverance, Glorification.

Which from what you posted seems like what you believe in the fact that He chooses whomever He will and those will be saved, which is what I posted. If you have not figiured out what I was saying with my, they read what they believe, they do not believe what they read. And,eleders, pastors and preachers, they don't teach the Bible, they teach from the Bible. Lots of people think they are the same thing they're not. If you teach the Bible you are teaching what the Bible says, if you are teaching from the Bible you are teach what you beliebe by using the Bible. How does someone do that, they take verses from the Bible out of context and put them to gather to teach what they believe.

That same with reading what you believe over believing what you read. I have my doctrines in mind when I read the Bible and interpret the Bible through my doctrines or you read the Bible and let your doctrine be defined by the Bible. There is a big difference. I see people here all the time reading into the Bible what they believe. They take verses and read into them all the time. Colossians 1:21-23

“And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds,22he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him,23if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister.”

They interpret the word "if" to be conditional, when if is a conjuction, if you look at the overall context and read I John 2:19 “They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us”

It does not mean that you can lost your salvation, it mean that if indeed you continue in the faith, that is the proof that you are saved. But if a person believes that a someone can lose thier salvation then they will read this verse to mean you can lose your salvation. It is about the proof that you are saved because you are continuing if the faith, if you don't you were never saved.