Hog weed If You See This Plant, Don’t Touch It—Seriously

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018

July 13Article found here

....."This dangerous plant is called the giant hogweed and it’s been classified by the government as a noxious weed. It grows to about 14 feet tall and has a thick green, hairy stem with large leaves at the top and white flowers. The reason you should avoid touching it at all costs: It’s covered in toxic sap that can cause painful burns, scarring, and potential blindness. Make sure you’re also watching out for these other summer health dangers. "

I've seen this plant before. It reminds me of miniature blossoms of Queen Annes Lace plant.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Queen Anne's lace is NOT toxic, nor a noxious weed..

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
It does look like Queen Annes Lace. Which in itself is a great healing plant. I've never heard of hog weed.
Here's a giant Hog Weed with more distinct features so we avoid confusion if we're out hiking and whatnot. This certainly gives us the visual that distinguishes HW from QAL.

This puts "giant" into perspective. The pic shows the leaves too which are very different from those on QAL.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
And I found this too. This poor man lives and works in Virginia. Virginia is where he made contact with giant Hog Weed. Burns! It burns! Third degree burns can happen. And permanent blindness!
Yikes.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
Is this also called poison hemlock?
Yes. Giant Hog Weed is its other name.
I've heard of Hemlock but never Hog Weed. Good article in any case. I'm passing it along to friends and family. Who knew it could grow that huge?

The Deadly: The Hemlocks--Poison Hemlock, Water Hemlock and Bulbiferous Hemlock (Conium maculatum, Cicuta maculata, Cicuta bulbifera respectively) and Giant Hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum) are dangerous as well as invasive. All parts of these plants are extremely poisonous.
The Wild Garden: Hansen's Northwest Native Plant Database
nwplants.com/information/white_flowers/white_comparison.html