Hola, brothers and sister in Christ

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 3, 2021
Colombia
Hi, I´m a new member. I am a retiree and am actually new to participating in Social Media. I have never participated in any form of Social Media (Facebook, Etc..) other than LinkedIn for professional connections. A couple of reasons, first I never felt compelled to share the details of my life with the world, and second, I never really had the time as I felt the little time I did have available, was better spent in the study of the Word of God. But now that I am retired, I have more time for sharing and learning from my brothers and sisters in Christ. I am American, born and schooled in Massachusetts (Go Boston Teams), but have spent a majority of my working career, working (Oil and Gas Industry) and living Overseas as an Expat. I have lived in many countries for periods of 1 to 5 years at a time over the course of my 40 yr career. I have lived in Canada (1yr), Singapore (5yrs), South Korea (1yr), Thailand (2yrs), Malaysia (1yr), Trinidad (2yrs), London (1yr), Qatar-Middle East (5yrs), and Australia (5yrs), returning back to US for various amounts of time between my next overseas assignment. I met and married an english speaking Colombian Women while in Trinidad, and now we live in her native country of Colombia. She is an American citizen now, but we have settled in Colombia to assist in the care of her elderly parents, but my Spanish is poor at best, so this social media provides me a way to reach out and communicate with others in English, about the dearest subject to my heart.
I am consider myself a non-denominational, reformed Catholic (based on what the Bible actually says), but still attend Catholic Mass with my wife for worship purposes. I respect all true Christian based faiths, as I beleive we are all one family. Living overseas for so many years has taught me that while are customs and cultures may be different, we are all one in the Body of Christ.
My Catholic up bringing as a youth, did not provide me with a very solid biblical foundation, but in my Senior year of High School, I took a course called Bible Study as my year long English Elective (not sure why). That spring I was doing some side reading in a book called, "The Late Great Planet Earth". I had only gotten into the first couple of chapters, when my parents found the book laying around in my room. The book was not well recieved by them, and quickly disposed of. I had little understanding as to why. 10 yrs later, now a young engineer on a project assignment in Texas, another senior engineer started witnessing to me about Jesus and the Bible, and handed me another copy of Hal Lindsey´s book, the late Great Planet Earth. From that point on, I wanted to know and understand everything about the Bible and my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I read books outside the Bible also, but in verifying against the "Word of God" I sometimes found aspects of the books taken out of context, or inconsistent (convienently ommitted other aspects of the Bible) which taught me to verify everything spoken or taught outside the bible (hence my site name). Hal lindsey was a good start, but my real complete teachings (aside from the Holy Spirit) I attribute to, the late, Chuck Missler and his Koinonia House ministry of videos and tapes.
Anyways, that´s me in a nutshell, and I am looking forward to learning, sharing, and lovingly debating, the many topics and mysteries of the Bible, in the hope that we all grow in our personal relationships with Jesus Christ. Maranatha
A quick question, is there any palce on this site, that provides a quick learning session on how to use this site. some of the in´s and out´s so to speak? They indicated it is not a good idea to post your email address, but if you find someone you want to comunicate with on deep level, regarding a particular subject or issue, without all the side input, could you do it and how? Any tips, do´s, and don´ts, or general advice to Social Media, for rookie would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn't say I am Technically challenged, but definitely a digital novice.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Well nice to meet you and so glad to have you joining the fellowship here at CC:) It took me about a week to find my way around here. Fyi there's a Tech Forum and also a Terms of Service at the bottom of the screen for guidelines.
Yes there is a way to P(rivate)M(msg) someone. No worries you don't need to be tech savvy here to engage in conversations.
Again, so glad the Lord led you here and God bless you and your family!

Aug 6, 2019
Hi, I´m a new member. I am a retiree and am actually new to participating in Social Media. I have never participated in any form of Social Media (Facebook, Etc..) other than LinkedIn for professional connections. A couple of reasons, first I never felt compelled to share the details of my life with the world, and second, I never really had the time as I felt the little time I did have available, was better spent in the study of the Word of God. But now that I am retired, I have more time for sharing and learning from my brothers and sisters in Christ. I am American, born and schooled in Massachusetts (Go Boston Teams), but have spent a majority of my working career, working (Oil and Gas Industry) and living Overseas as an Expat. I have lived in many countries for periods of 1 to 5 years at a time over the course of my 40 yr career. I have lived in Canada (1yr), Singapore (5yrs), South Korea (1yr), Thailand (2yrs), Malaysia (1yr), Trinidad (2yrs), London (1yr), Qatar-Middle East (5yrs), and Australia (5yrs), returning back to US for various amounts of time between my next overseas assignment. I met and married an english speaking Colombian Women while in Trinidad, and now we live in her native country of Colombia. She is an American citizen now, but we have settled in Colombia to assist in the care of her elderly parents, but my Spanish is poor at best, so this social media provides me a way to reach out and communicate with others in English, about the dearest subject to my heart.
I am consider myself a non-denominational, reformed Catholic (based on what the Bible actually says), but still attend Catholic Mass with my wife for worship purposes. I respect all true Christian based faiths, as I beleive we are all one family. Living overseas for so many years has taught me that while are customs and cultures may be different, we are all one in the Body of Christ.
My Catholic up bringing as a youth, did not provide me with a very solid biblical foundation, but in my Senior year of High School, I took a course called Bible Study as my year long English Elective (not sure why). That spring I was doing some side reading in a book called, "The Late Great Planet Earth". I had only gotten into the first couple of chapters, when my parents found the book laying around in my room. The book was not well recieved by them, and quickly disposed of. I had little understanding as to why. 10 yrs later, now a young engineer on a project assignment in Texas, another senior engineer started witnessing to me about Jesus and the Bible, and handed me another copy of Hal Lindsey´s book, the late Great Planet Earth. From that point on, I wanted to know and understand everything about the Bible and my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I read books outside the Bible also, but in verifying against the "Word of God" I sometimes found aspects of the books taken out of context, or inconsistent (convienently ommitted other aspects of the Bible) which taught me to verify everything spoken or taught outside the bible (hence my site name). Hal lindsey was a good start, but my real complete teachings (aside from the Holy Spirit) I attribute to, the late, Chuck Missler and his Koinonia House ministry of videos and tapes.
Anyways, that´s me in a nutshell, and I am looking forward to learning, sharing, and lovingly debating, the many topics and mysteries of the Bible, in the hope that we all grow in our personal relationships with Jesus Christ. Maranatha
A quick question, is there any palce on this site, that provides a quick learning session on how to use this site. some of the in´s and out´s so to speak? They indicated it is not a good idea to post your email address, but if you find someone you want to comunicate with on deep level, regarding a particular subject or issue, without all the side input, could you do it and how? Any tips, do´s, and don´ts, or general advice to Social Media, for rookie would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn't say I am Technically challenged, but definitely a digital novice.
Welcome, BereanBride, wow, you've live a variety-filled life, living and moving all over. I'm glad you joined and hope you figure out the forum. I was fairly new to forums too, but once you get it, it's easy. You can exchange emails in private messages. Hope you love it here. I'm new too.

Mark47Oz

Jun 4, 2021
Welcome to the fray, and the second Catholic in a day haha. I hear what you mean about the your self definition too. I identify as Catholic because it's faith we tend to born and raised into, and it has a very rich and deep system of belief. Yet on the other hand I adore the freedom and joy in Christ other denominations show.

de-emerald

May 8, 2021
Welcome to cc bereanbbride.

Your thread reminded me a song

Ive been around the world but theres no place like home. :)

I hope and pray youll enjoy your stay may the grace of our loving father shine in your heart and may the holy spirit fill you with peace allways. may the lord keep you and bless you for ever and ever and ever

wopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:)

Nov 26, 2012
Welcome, this was my first social media attempt also. I find this site extremely novice friendly. It may take a few days to get familiar but just keep hitting buttons and see what they do. Another similarity we share is travelling for work. I’m in the pipe trades, working mostly with my hands but recently have been promoted to foreman. Some days I miss the simplicity of just running pipe but my cognitive side enjoys the challenge of problem solving. This leads me to another similarity between us. We read the Bible like an engineer, needing to see logic, digging past the surface, dissecting the words for intended meaning to uncover deeper understanding. I can’t wait to see what truths you have extruded in your studies. Don’t get discouraged if you get a few “x”s. The Bible discussion forum gets heated. Just like you have conducted your studies, many have spent years researching, some to find true interpretation, others to confirm bias. That forum is the crucible to determine “the tree by its fruit”. See you around.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Hi BereanBride, Welcome to CC (y)

Jun 3, 2021
Colombia
Well nice to meet you and so glad to have you joining the fellowship here at CC:) It took me about a week to find my way around here. Fyi there's a Tech Forum and also a Terms of Service at the bottom of the screen for guidelines.
Yes there is a way to P(rivate)M(msg) someone. No worries you don't need to be tech savvy here to engage in conversations.
Again, so glad the Lord led you here and God bless you and your family!
Thank-you for your welcome reply and your helpful tip guidance. I will look into them. May your day be blessed by God.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Welcome to CC, brother! So wise to be Berean. I am sure there are many tricks that I don't know either, but the basics seem to be fairly intuitive. Godspeed:):coffee:

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com

Hello BB, quite a journey you've had there. Welcome to the fray.

Hey break your posts up into paragraphs ... makes it easier to read ;)

Seeker47

Aug 7, 2018
Hey BB.....Welcome to CC.

That is quite an introduction...can't wait to see what follows.

Jun 3, 2021
Colombia
Welcome to the fray, and the second Catholic in a day haha. I hear what you mean about the your self definition too. I identify as Catholic because it's faith we tend to born and raised into, and it has a very rich and deep system of belief. Yet on the other hand I adore the freedom and joy in Christ other denominations show.
Thank-you for your welcome, I still like the Catholic Worship service, probably as it is what I am most comfortable with, but so many of their teachings and beliefs are just inconsistent with what the bible teaches.

Jun 3, 2021
Colombia
Welcome to cc bereanbbride.

Your thread reminded me a song

Ive been around the world but theres no place like home. :)

I hope and pray youll enjoy your stay may the grace of our loving father shine in your heart and may the holy spirit fill you with peace allways. may the lord keep you and bless you for ever and ever and ever

wopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:)
Thank-you, Such kind words, and a wonderful welcome. May the Lord bless all that you seek in his name.

Jun 3, 2021
Colombia
Welcome, this was my first social media attempt also. I find this site extremely novice friendly. It may take a few days to get familiar but just keep hitting buttons and see what they do. Another similarity we share is travelling for work. I’m in the pipe trades, working mostly with my hands but recently have been promoted to foreman. Some days I miss the simplicity of just running pipe but my cognitive side enjoys the challenge of problem solving. This leads me to another similarity between us. We read the Bible like an engineer, needing to see logic, digging past the surface, dissecting the words for intended meaning to uncover deeper understanding. I can’t wait to see what truths you have extruded in your studies. Don’t get discouraged if you get a few “x”s. The Bible discussion forum gets heated. Just like you have conducted your studies, many have spent years researching, some to find true interpretation, others to confirm bias. That forum is the crucible to determine “the tree by its fruit”. See you around.
Thank-you for your welcome. It nice to find people we have things in common with. Working in the construction enviroment, as you know, requires a bit of a thick skin and not for the faint of heart, so I am fully prepared and expecting some "x"´s (no problem). Everything you indicated as to how we study the word (logic, digging, dissecting, seeking deeper meanings) is right on point. I follow the crowd, only after confirming the crowd is going in the the proper direction. A position has to fit perfectly with the complete word of God, and not just some chosen verses. I am not fearful of thinking outside of the mainstream box, if that is where the Holy Spirit takes me, but my outside the box thoughts are only possibilites (theories) that hope the church body will peer test with an open mind (some will, many won´t).

As you express some interest, I will share a more simple possibility to the meaning of the Fig Tree, in Jesus´s Olivet discourse. Many associate the Fig Tree with the rebirth of the state of Israel, but the bible seems to associate Israel with the Olive Tree. So I think the Fig Tree probably represents something different

As we are aware, the books of the bible were not written with verse designations or even the chapter/paragraph headlines we often find today. These verse designations, and headlines, while very useful reference means, can distract us from the intended continuity and complete context of the message. The Fig Tree could be a good example of this.

If we look at the full context, written about the day that Jesus gave the Olivet Discourse on the Mount of Olive, we will see that in the morning Jesus cursed the fig tree is same the same day (late afternoon), he gave the Olivet discourse. Starting with Matthew 21, we start with Jesus´s triumphant entry into Jerusalem, the he left Jerusalem night. The next day he return to Jerusalem, and cursed the Fig Tree as he enter Jerusalem, and cursed the Fig Tree as he entered (although it was out of season). That day in Jerusalem was a very Contentious day, as he took on the Jewish Religious leaders, and gave them the 7 Woes (Matt 23: 13-36). The following verse (Matt 23:37) appears to be very important as it starts, "Jerusalem, Jerusalem". My understanding of repeated words in the Bible, is intended to provide emphasis (look here, pay attention to this), like the use of exclamation marks or bold lettering (ancient writings did not have the use of punctuation in their writings).

From the perspective of the Diciples, the day must have been very emotionally heated, and Jesus was probably not in the best of moods from their perspective. The air was probably emotionally heavy, as they silently leave Jerusalem, and would probably have gone back past the Fig Tree (cursed that morning) and noticed it had died.
Back on the Mount of Olives, they appear to be trying to change the discussion to the more pleasant topic (less contentious) of the Temple´s beauty. Little did they know, they were opening another can of worms.

From this, I suspect the Fig Tree generation, did not start with the rebirth of Israel in 1948, but more probably the restablishment of Israel´s complete control of Jersalem in 1967. I´m not saying this is fact, but just something to think about and why I didn´t just blindly follow the crowd (but I always respect everyone´s thoughts and opinions). I will share something else in another post if you wish, as these are limited to 10, 000 characters.

May God Bless you in all that you seek in his name. Maranatha

Nov 26, 2012
Thank-you for your welcome. It nice to find people we have things in common with. Working in the construction enviroment, as you know, requires a bit of a thick skin and not for the faint of heart, so I am fully prepared and expecting some "x"´s (no problem). Everything you indicated as to how we study the word (logic, digging, dissecting, seeking deeper meanings) is right on point. I follow the crowd, only after confirming the crowd is going in the the proper direction. A position has to fit perfectly with the complete word of God, and not just some chosen verses. I am not fearful of thinking outside of the mainstream box, if that is where the Holy Spirit takes me, but my outside the box thoughts are only possibilites (theories) that hope the church body will peer test with an open mind (some will, many won´t).

As you express some interest, I will share a more simple possibility to the meaning of the Fig Tree, in Jesus´s Olivet discourse. Many associate the Fig Tree with the rebirth of the state of Israel, but the bible seems to associate Israel with the Olive Tree. So I think the Fig Tree probably represents something different

As we are aware, the books of the bible were not written with verse designations or even the chapter/paragraph headlines we often find today. These verse designations, and headlines, while very useful reference means, can distract us from the intended continuity and complete context of the message. The Fig Tree could be a good example of this.

If we look at the full context, written about the day that Jesus gave the Olivet Discourse on the Mount of Olive, we will see that in the morning Jesus cursed the fig tree is same the same day (late afternoon), he gave the Olivet discourse. Starting with Matthew 21, we start with Jesus´s triumphant entry into Jerusalem, the he left Jerusalem night. The next day he return to Jerusalem, and cursed the Fig Tree as he enter Jerusalem, and cursed the Fig Tree as he entered (although it was out of season). That day in Jerusalem was a very Contentious day, as he took on the Jewish Religious leaders, and gave them the 7 Woes (Matt 23: 13-36). The following verse (Matt 23:37) appears to be very important as it starts, "Jerusalem, Jerusalem". My understanding of repeated words in the Bible, is intended to provide emphasis (look here, pay attention to this), like the use of exclamation marks or bold lettering (ancient writings did not have the use of punctuation in their writings).

From the perspective of the Diciples, the day must have been very emotionally heated, and Jesus was probably not in the best of moods from their perspective. The air was probably emotionally heavy, as they silently leave Jerusalem, and would probably have gone back past the Fig Tree (cursed that morning) and noticed it had died.
Back on the Mount of Olives, they appear to be trying to change the discussion to the more pleasant topic (less contentious) of the Temple´s beauty. Little did they know, they were opening another can of worms.

From this, I suspect the Fig Tree generation, did not start with the rebirth of Israel in 1948, but more probably the restablishment of Israel´s complete control of Jersalem in 1967. I´m not saying this is fact, but just something to think about and why I didn´t just blindly follow the crowd (but I always respect everyone´s thoughts and opinions). I will share something else in another post if you wish, as these are limited to 10, 000 characters.

May God Bless you in all that you seek in his name. Maranatha
Interesting