Holy Spirit baptism and eternal salvation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

lamad

Apr 14, 2021
So much confusion coming from wrongjy applying the book of Acts and making Doctrines out of a transitional book . Look for where it teaches what you believe in the epistles. This is where we find our instruction and settled teaching for the church , Not Acts . We need to learn and understand what happened during the transitions in Acts but not to make pet doctrines out of it .
All scripture is good for doctrine. Don't try and tell us that we cannot use Acts to form Doctrine, else Paul was wrong. Did Phillip and Paul preach "pet" doctrines? No, they taught TRUTH. Both men knew that the baptism in the Holy Spirit usually came after one was born again.

lamad

Apr 14, 2021
Holy Spirit Baptism

Romans 6. God baptizes us into Christs death and burial where our sins are washed away
Col 2. The spiritual circumcision done by the hand of God completed by being baptized by the one who raised him from the dea
1 Cor 12. Baptized by God into the body of Christ
Gal 3. Baptized By God into Christ.

Paul speaks in titus 3 about the washing and renewal of the Holy Spirit. This washing of the spirit is the baptism of the spirit

No one is saved apart from baptism of the spirit
This washing of the spirit is the baptism of the spirit
Sorry, but Acts 1 tells us the baptism of the Holy Spirit is for POWER.

Study Acts 8 and Acts 19 where people received this mighty baptism: it came AFTER they were born again and baptized in water. Also notice that it was the Holy Spirit UPON, not "in."

E

eternally-gratefull

This washing of the spirit is the baptism of the spirit
Sorry, but Acts 1 tells us the baptism of the Holy Spirit is for POWER.

Study Acts 8 and Acts 19 where people received this mighty baptism: it came AFTER they were born again and baptized in water. Also notice that it was the Holy Spirit UPON, not "in."
Sorry, but your talking about the anointing of the spirit, but not the baptism

john said Jesus will baptize everyone, you get to pick, the Holy Spirit, where you will be seperated and placed in the barn (heaven) or fire,where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth

Romans 6 is Holy Spirit baptism, it’s not baptism in water,

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
"When you read all of the accounts in the book of Acts you see that they were saved before they were baptized in the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues. "

"Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” So they said to him, “We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.”

Then the 12 when Jesus went up they were saved... then the 120 all saved :) I will say baptized in the holy Spirit .. all should be asking what Christ said in Luke 11 13

lamad

Apr 14, 2021
There is a mighty big difference between baptism of the Holy Spirit unto eternal life and fillings of the Holy Spirit to minister in the gospel.

Souls are saved everyday all around the world without the great fanfare that many seek in this day in age. There is rejoicing in heaven when even a single soul comes to know Christ as Savior.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Sorry, but you are not being accurate with the scripture. The baptism of the Holy Spirit is for power to witness, not "unto eternal life." You are mixing up regeneration done by the Holy Spirit and being baptiszed into the Holy Spirit down by Jesus Christ for the purpose of power to witness. Did you not notice that all through Acts when people were filled or received the Holy Spirit baptism it is written that they Holy Spirit came UPON them? This is speaking of the anointing. All through scripture, the anointing came upon people for them to act in a certain way.

Here is an example: Numbers 11:25 And the Lord came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that was upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders: and it came to pass, that, when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease.

Another: Samson:

Judges 14:6
And the Spirit of the Lord came mightily upon him, and he rent him as he would have rent a kid, and he had nothing in his hand: but he told not his father or his mother what he had done.

lamad

Apr 14, 2021
Sorry, but your talking about the anointing of the spirit, but not the baptism

john said Jesus will baptize everyone, you get to pick, the Holy Spirit, where you will be seperated and placed in the barn (heaven) or fire,where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth

Romans 6 is Holy Spirit baptism, it’s not baptism in water,
The baptism of the Holy Spirit IS the anointing. It is what comes UPON people. Romans 6 is speaking of being baptized in WATER. Going under signifies we DIED. (" if One died for all, then all died"). Coming up out of the water signifies our new live as a new birth of regeneration.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
All scripture is good for doctrine. Don't try and tell us that we cannot use Acts to form Doctrine, else Paul was wrong. Did Phillip and Paul preach "pet" doctrines? No, they taught TRUTH. Both men knew that the baptism in the Holy Spirit usually came after one was born again.
Then please quote where Paul taught that? Please quote where this two part Spirit application is said in any epistles?

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
The baptism of the Holy Spirit IS the anointing. It is what comes UPON people. Romans 6 is speaking of being baptized in WATER. Going under signifies we DIED. (" if One died for all, then all died"). Coming up out of the water signifies our new live as a new birth of regeneration.
Please quote where ' water ' is said in those verses ?

lamad

Apr 14, 2021
Then please quote where Paul taught that? Please quote where this two part Spirit application is said in any epistles?
it is written very clearly for all to read in Acts 8 and 19. They heard the word preached. They believed the word preached. They got born again. They were water baptized. Then, after all that, they had hands laid on them and they received the Holy Spirit. The earliest epistles were written YEARS after Acts 1.

S

Scribe

If you want to know the difference. Ask the Lord to baptize you in the Holy Spirit and lift up your hands in expectation. Do this everyday until it happens. Then you will know.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
it is written very clearly for all to read in Acts 8 and 19. They heard the word preached. They believed the word preached. They got born again. They were water baptized. Then, after all that, they had hands laid on them and they received the Holy Spirit. The earliest epistles were written YEARS after Acts 1.
Ok which verses show they were ' born again ' ? And as you could not show a verse in the epistles, you prove my point . Acts is a transition of 29 different conversion accounts. Gentiies are not in the picture until 10 year s after Acts 2 . There's no apostle to gentiles until Paul in Acts 9 . There's so many transitions happening its ridiculous that so many denominations make doctrines from . Paul epistles were written later but reveal what was preached immediately after his conversion and the revelation given to him from Jesus himself . And in his letters as directed by Jesus we see how we are saved today .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
All the way up to Acts 11 no gentile is being preached to . Please show where they got ' born again ' first then after they recieved the Holy spirit . But let's say there was passage in Acts that said a person was saved by standing on his head this still would not mean that this is the normative plan of salvation today.

E

eternally-gratefull

Wrong

the anointing is the holly spirit being poured on or into a person

when Jesus was baptized, the spirit descended like a dove coming into (anointing) him

even the OT priesthood had a type. Aaron and his sons were washed (baptized) then anointed with the oil

there is no water in Romans 6, the death and burial of christ are what were baptized into not water.

lamad

Apr 14, 2021
Ok which verses show they were ' born again ' ? And as you could not show a verse in the epistles, you prove my point . Acts is a transition of 29 different conversion accounts. Gentiies are not in the picture until 10 year s after Acts 2 . There's no apostle to gentiles until Paul in Acts 9 . There's so many transitions happening its ridiculous that so many denominations make doctrines from . Paul epistles were written later but reveal what was preached immediately after his conversion and the revelation given to him from Jesus himself . And in his letters as directed by Jesus we see how we are saved today .
Show us a scripture that says what you say: that Acts is a transitional book. It is a part of Scripture, and therefore is usable for Doctrine according to Paul.

Now, since you asked:
First, let's ask the question: when would Philip baptize people in water?
Acts 8:
36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

I think we can say that Philip would not baptize people in water UNTIL he was SURE they believed in Jesus.

Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them.

6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did.
[if they are giving heed, are they believing? I think that goes without saying.]
7 For unclean spirits, crying with loud voice, came out of many that were possessed with them: and many taken with palsies, and that were lame, were healed.

8 And there was great joy in that city.
[why great joy? I think this hints that they all were born again.]

12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
[We already established that Philip would not baptize unless he was SURE they were truely believers.]

14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
[Now we get a look at what those in Jerusalem were THINKING: why send more people? Was Philip not able to pray for the baptism of the Holy Spirit? Aparently those in Jerusalem did not think so. Philip had proven he could get people born again, but Peter and John apparently had proven they could get people filled with the Holy Spirit.

15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
[here the actual prayer took place.]

16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) [Notice this is not talking about the Holy Spirit within as in salvation: they were already saved and baptized in water. This is talking about the Holy Spirit UPON as in the anointing for power.]

17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
[Notice that nowhere in scripture is the laying on of hands required for salvation. Only hearing the word and believing is required for salvation. But for the baptism, it was usual to lay on hands as they prayed. ]

We find this same sequence in Acts 19.

Did you not read? Acts 11:
15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

God was proving that there was NO DIFFERENCE between Jew or Gentile: both could receive salvation by faith and then receive the Holy Spirit.

Why worry about "transitions?" Just read the text and believe it! Way back in Joel God promised the day would come when the Holy Spirit would be poured out on all flesh - and Peter told us that prophecy began to be fulfilled at Pentecost, and is still ongoing.

The truth is, we will be judged by Paul's gospel. He has written in out in 1 Cor. 15: the death, burial and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ is the basis for Paul's gospel. But when we read 1 Cor, 12 and 14, we see that Pentecost and the baptism of the Holy Spirit was also very much a part of His gospel.

I wonder: could YOU as a fellow believer what Paul asked those in Ephesus: "have you received the Holy Spirit since you believed?"

If not, they your believing is not what Paul believed.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
If anyone is willing to put in the study time, EVERY TIME the filling with the Holy Spirit or the baptism in the Holy Spirit in mentioned in acts, it is ALWAYS the Holy Spirit "on" or "Upon" and never "within."

When a believer gets the Holy Spirit within - in their spirit man or woman - that is the new birth. But Acts shows us that AFTER the New Birth, one can receive the Holy Spirit UPON as the anointing. These are two separate works of the Holy Spirit for two separate purposes. The first is to bring us into the Body of Christ on earth, some call "regeneration" or God creating and New human spirit. The second is to be anointed as Jesus was and as the 120 in the upper room were.

Next, ask yourself if you could ask another believer the question Paul ask those on Ephesus: "Have you received the Holy Spirit since you believed?" Many people cannot ask such a question because it would clash with their belief - yet Paul asked it.

Then study acts 8 and acts 19 when people received this mighty baptism and ask yourself: when were they born again. When were they baptized in water? When did they receive this Holy Spirit upon?

Yes.. this is where I would reply they were born again .. did receive the Holy Spirit for salvation eternally, but they had not been empowered by the Holy Spirit.

I think I see the Holy Spirit baptism as empowerment after eternal salvation.

E

eternally-gratefull

Yes.. this is where I would reply they were born again .. did receive the Holy Spirit for salvation eternally, but they had not been empowered by the Holy Spirit.

Again, that would come from anointing, we get power because the Holy Spirit comes in us

baptism represents cleansing, or change in the Greek,

lamad

Apr 14, 2021
Wrong

the anointing is the holly spirit being poured on or into a person

when Jesus was baptized, the spirit descended like a dove coming into (anointing) him

even the OT priesthood had a type. Aaron and his sons were washed (baptized) then anointed with the oil

there is no water in Romans 6, the death and burial of christ are what were baptized into not water.
Matthew: the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
Mark: the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:
Luke: the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him,
John: I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you:
Acts 2 there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Acts 2:17 it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh:
Acts 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
Acts 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Acts 11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
(I could post many Old Testament verses of the Holy Spirit upon...)

You are free to consider these verses just a happenstance or a coincidence. I don't. I see that the Holy Spirit was very careful to show us that the anointing comes UPON.

Why not just believe Luke: he wrote that they would receive POWER when the Holy Spirit came upon them...."

STrongs tells us for the Old Testament use of "anoint: "to rub with oil, i.e. to anoint; by implication, to consecrate; also to paint:—anoint, paint."

Notice that this is all external. In the New Testament Strongs tells us of "anoint:" "to oil (with perfume):—anoint. " Again, this is external. The anointing is for our flesh. Salvation on the other hand is entirely of the spirit.

E

eternally-gratefull

Matthew: the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
Mark: the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:
Luke: the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him,
John: I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you:
Acts 2 there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Acts 2:17 it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh:
Acts 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
Acts 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Acts 11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
(I could post many Old Testament verses of the Holy Spirit upon...)

You are free to consider these verses just a happenstance or a coincidence. I don't. I see that the Holy Spirit was very careful to show us that the anointing comes UPON.

STrongs tells us for the Old Testament use of "anoint: "to rub with oil, i.e. to anoint; by implication, to consecrate; also to paint:—anoint, paint."

Notice that this is all external. In the New Testament Strongs tells us of "anoint:" "to oil (with perfume):—anoint. " Again, this is external. The anointing is for our flesh. Salvation on the other hand is entirely of the spirit.
Acts 1 8 is the anointing ministry of the HS.

it is NOT the baptism ministry

they are 2 seperate events,

the Hs can not come in you until you are cleansed, the baptism (cleansing) comes first

lamad

Apr 14, 2021

What did Luke write about this?

Acts 1:8
But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Contrast with:

2 Corinthians 1:22
Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Where? "on" or "upon?" NO! In our hearts! That means in our spirit man or woman.