Horror lovers?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
I'd forgotten about this franchise until there was a marathon featuring them due to Halloween.

Final Destination and all subsequent sequels.

The sequence of events that transpired for each victim, not to give anything away, starting with the first film in the franchise of what? Five? Is something else. Not predictable as most horror films are. Truly well done for the horror genre. Especially in their pick for the mortician William Bludworth of Bludworth funeral home and portrayed by the awesome actor Tony Todd. Perfect actor for that part. Especially his voice.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I'm going to speak to this topic. I will probably get flamed and yes it hurts to have that happen but it is important to discuss things like this. It is important. When I worked with street kids I saw a lot of pain and darkness and it broke my heart for things they suffered from what they consumed and what they suffered from people who saturated their thinking with modern slasher entertainment.
Early scary tales had a cautionary/moral point.
Modern horror movies have little in common with the early stories. Ray Bradbury, not a Christian, lamented that modern fantasy/horror, lacked analogies and true storytelling (if you don't agree argue with him.) One of the first Gothic stories, Prometheus Unbound, or as we know it, Frankenstein, was an analogy for what happens when man tries to be God. Dr. Frankenstein wanted to create life but ended up creating an abomination. It was a cautionary tale. The modern slasher film panders to a voyeur who is entertained by scenes of terror and torture, gore, bullying and fear. It is the same sort of entertainment as going to the colosseum to see people killed and butchered, or attending hangings. None of this is in line with the mindset that God would have for us. As a writer I have written fiction that contains all sorts of characters. They are analogies for human behaviour. If you write with these characters, as a Christian, it needs to serve a greater purpose. Hellraiser was mentioned and it is sick and sadistic, fear and torture with no redeeming message. For those films they bring you to a darker way of thinking. The written and spoken words create things. They open up doors in your thinking and can desensitize you to disturbing behaviour, and can leave you with images you can't get rid of. The example of salt and freshwater not being able to coexist is true. Focus on what it true and pure and noble. That is what we are told. The instruction of scripture matters. C.S. Lewis has a witch in his Narnia stories but there was a moral, an analogy, a purpose. Christians can write and read fantasy but don't fool yourself that marinating in things that are dark and disturbed, will not affect you. It is not who we are called to be or to do. I really do care about my C.C. family here and want better for all of you. Bless.

Skovand

Aug 17, 2020
Southeastern USA
There has always been crappy horror with no point but violence and shock. There are thousands of horror movies and books published each year so anyone who claims they are not like they use to be are simply just stating an opinion based on what they may or may not have seen. No it’s not foolish to say I’m not affected by horror. Horror does not desensitize you anymore than romance novels make you more loving. It’s all irrelevant to a persons emotional intelligence, cognitive thinking skills, and actions. For example the majority of what I watch is horror. I’m still a vegan who focuses on conservation and ecology within my career. I don’t use pesticides on my plants and break for snakes and if I see a turtle trying to cross a road, I stop and help move it. So horror movies did not affect me at all. For a fact of the women I know who watch romantic movies still indiscriminately kill things like spiders and scream fot someone to kill snakes. They are way less compassionate than I am.

Hellraiser, like many horror films , are fairly gore filled, but still shows a strong morality. They both reaffirm how bad evil is. The books, which are different from the films, is based on very Christian concepts. The cenobites are demons and if you choose to follow them, you are truly following your heart filled with evil, resulting in damnation. The demons are evil, and the people who accept their help are constantly forced to do more and more for them giving up all love in their life and their choices to pursue the flesh are shown in their outward appearance.

In the films it’s similar except that the cenobites are humans who pursed evil until it transformed them into evil and because they constantly pursued the fruits of the flesh, it resulted in them having afflicted flesh to the point they confuse love for control and pain for pleasure and constantly want to drag others into their paradigm.

Even the typical slasher films accents these issues. They reaffirm evil as being bad. They reaffirm the importance of love and friendship to overcome evil. Take the latest Halloween installment. They show that evil is bad. Michael is the bad guy. They show the love of a grandmother for her family despite them thinking she’s crazy and treating her bad. They ban together to conquer evil. That’s a common theme.

It’s also something that happens in the Bible. There is a reason why the Bible is cslled one of the bloodiest horror filmed books ever wrote. It opens up with evil deceiving mankind. It ends with an apocalyptical horror story that has dragons, sea monsters, people thst can’t die but living in pain, and a lake of fire. Even portrays the Babylonian woman with vampirism tendencies. ( yes it’s all symbolism). The Torah is full of war from dashing babies heads on rocks, stabbing swords through people, people hanging from their hair, evil spirits and so the New Testament puts a emphasis on the death of a innocent man, the suicide of his betrayer and the war between demons and evil and angels and goodness. But just like horror films, it also showcases love and friendship overcoming evil.

Skovand

Aug 17, 2020
Southeastern USA
Just listened to the audio podcast episode, “ The Man in the Ambry” by Gwendolyn Kiste, on The Wicked Library. Episode 702. It’s so good!

CherieR

May 6, 2017
I like some crime type horror/thriller movies such as the movie Ma or the movie Greta. I watched Ma last night and what I found interesting about this movie in particular is it goes more into the mind of the person doing the killing. She has flashbacks of herself being bullied in school throughout the movie. It was a movie that in one way I felt sorry for the character because of the bullying but at the same time she takes revenge when she ought to have moved on from the past.

Infinite_Ark

Sep 19, 2020
To each their own. Horror movies are fiction. If that entertains so be it. If we take them seriously I think we're in trouble big time.
The last one I watched when home was a science fiction horror film titled Pitch Black.

Skovand

Aug 17, 2020
Southeastern USA
To each their own. Horror movies are fiction. If that entertains so be it. If we take them seriously I think we're in trouble big time.
The last one I watched when home was a science fiction horror film titled Pitch Black.
I do agree to each their own and that it’s fiction. Well some horror is nonfiction but the overwhelming amount is fictional. I don’t know very man who believe they are real.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I saw enough blood and guts during the war, I'll pass on that class of movies.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
my cousins watched someothing called annabel last night, it wasnt too scary in terms of graphic scenes, it was about a young girl that got hit by a car and her parents agreed to let her so called familiar spirit reside in her favourite doll, that went about terrorising some orphan children who they invited to stay with them in their huge house.

The movie consisted of a lot of scenes of children opening doors, or doors opening, suspenseful music, and violent deaths, due to the vengeful ghost who'd become demonic

I find real life way would be way more horrible than a movie, like living in poverty, or having an abusive parents or losing your livelihood. for the most part horror movies are for middle class who dont even really need to deal with those sorts of things.

Probably the moral is if someone dies tragically dont go trying to contact their spirits, just use Jesus authority to tell them to go to the light if they are wandering around clueless disturbing the living. And be forgiving.

B

Blackpowderduelist

Ernest scared stupid, is my favorite.

Skovand

Aug 17, 2020
Southeastern USA
my cousins watched someothing called annabel last night, it wasnt too scary in terms of graphic scenes, it was about a young girl that got hit by a car and her parents agreed to let her so called familiar spirit reside in her favourite doll, that went about terrorising some orphan children who they invited to stay with them in their huge house.

I would be hard pressed to say horror is for middle class. You find horror fans in every nation, of every race, in every class. You find horror in the earliest writings of mankind. Obviously real life is scarier than horror. But even the poorest people in third world countries watch or listen to horror.

The movie consisted of a lot of scenes of children opening doors, or doors opening, suspenseful music, and violent deaths, due to the vengeful ghost who'd become demonic

I find real life way would be way more horrible than a movie, like living in poverty, or having an abusive parents or losing your livelihood. for the most part horror movies are for middle class who dont even really need to deal with those sorts of things.

Probably the moral is if someone dies tragically dont go trying to contact their spirits, just use Jesus authority to tell them to go to the light if they are wandering around clueless disturbing the living. And be forgiving.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Its a general observation. I was at the mall on the halloween day where everyone was begging for lollies and a lot of the richer children go all out with their parents, the poorer ones didnt have any costumes, cos their parents actually couldnt afford to clothe them in fake blood.

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
Just listened to the audio podcast episode, “ The Man in the Ambry” by Gwendolyn Kiste, on The Wicked Library. Episode 702. It’s so good!
The Bible tells us to have nothing to do with evil.

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
There has always been crappy horror with no point but violence and shock. There are thousands of horror movies and books published each year so anyone who claims they are not like they use to be are simply just stating an opinion based on what they may or may not have seen. No it’s not foolish to say I’m not affected by horror. Horror does not desensitize you anymore than romance novels make you more loving. It’s all irrelevant to a persons emotional intelligence, cognitive thinking skills, and actions. For example the majority of what I watch is horror. I’m still a vegan who focuses on conservation and ecology within my career. I don’t use pesticides on my plants and break for snakes and if I see a turtle trying to cross a road, I stop and help move it. So horror movies did not affect me at all. For a fact of the women I know who watch romantic movies still indiscriminately kill things like spiders and scream fot someone to kill snakes. They are way less compassionate than I am.

Hellraiser, like many horror films , are fairly gore filled, but still shows a strong morality. They both reaffirm how bad evil is. The books, which are different from the films, is based on very Christian concepts. The cenobites are demons and if you choose to follow them, you are truly following your heart filled with evil, resulting in damnation. The demons are evil, and the people who accept their help are constantly forced to do more and more for them giving up all love in their life and their choices to pursue the flesh are shown in their outward appearance.

In the films it’s similar except that the cenobites are humans who pursed evil until it transformed them into evil and because they constantly pursued the fruits of the flesh, it resulted in them having afflicted flesh to the point they confuse love for control and pain for pleasure and constantly want to drag others into their paradigm.

Even the typical slasher films accents these issues. They reaffirm evil as being bad. They reaffirm the importance of love and friendship to overcome evil. Take the latest Halloween installment. They show that evil is bad. Michael is the bad guy. They show the love of a grandmother for her family despite them thinking she’s crazy and treating her bad. They ban together to conquer evil. That’s a common theme.

It’s also something that happens in the Bible. There is a reason why the Bible is cslled one of the bloodiest horror filmed books ever wrote. It opens up with evil deceiving mankind. It ends with an apocalyptical horror story that has dragons, sea monsters, people thst can’t die but living in pain, and a lake of fire. Even portrays the Babylonian woman with vampirism tendencies. ( yes it’s all symbolism). The Torah is full of war from dashing babies heads on rocks, stabbing swords through people, people hanging from their hair, evil spirits and so the New Testament puts a emphasis on the death of a innocent man, the suicide of his betrayer and the war between demons and evil and angels and goodness. But just like horror films, it also showcases love and friendship overcoming evil.
The Bible tells us to think on whatsoever things are good and pure.

B

Blackpowderduelist

Tucker and Dale vs evil.

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
Anyone seen Hereditary?