Hosea 1:4. The name of a son.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
Hosea 1:4 says.
Then the Lord said to Hosea, “Call him Jezreel, because I will soon punish the house of Jehu for the massacre at Jezreel, and I will put an end to the kingdom of Israel.
God has told Hosea to take an adulterous wife and to name their son Jezreel. Now in 2 Kings chapters 9 and 10, we read about the massacre at Jezreel and the strange thing is that it was God who told Jehu to massacre Ahab's entire family and Jehu was rewarded for doing so, by having a son to the 4th generation sitting on Israel's throne. Jehu has obeyed God, at least in the matter of Ahab. 2 Kings 10:31 says that he didn't keep the law, so he was not a great king, but Hosea says that in the matter of Jezreel punishment is due. Very confusing!
What does the forum think? How have I got this one wrong?

L

Locoponydirtman

Thank you for giving me some reading material. I needed a good study subject.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
JEZREEL in Scripture

Joshua 15:56 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd Jezreel, and Jokdeam, and Zanoah,

Joshua 17:16 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd the children of Joseph said, The hill is not enough for us: and all the Canaanites that dwell in the land of the valley have chariots of iron, both they who are of Bethshean and her towns, and they who are of the valley of Jezreel.

Joshua 19:18 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd their border was toward Jezreel, and Chesulloth, and Shunem,

Judges 6:33 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextThen all the Midianites and the Amalekites and the children of the east were gathered together, and went over, and pitched in the valley of Jezreel.

1 Samuel 25:43 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextDavid also took Ahinoam of Jezreel; and they were also both of them his wives.

1 Samuel 27:3 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd David dwelt with Achish at Gath, he and his men, every man with his household, even David with his two wives, Ahinoam the Jezreelitess, and Abigail the Carmelitess, Nabal's wife.

1 Samuel 29:1 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextNow the Philistines gathered together all their armies to Aphek: and the Israelites pitched by a fountain which is in Jezreel.

1 Samuel 29:11 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextSo David and his men rose up early to depart in the morning, to return into the land of the Philistines. And the Philistines went up to Jezreel.

1 Samuel 30:5 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd David's two wives were taken captives, Ahinoam the Jezreelitess, and Abigail the wife of Nabal the Carmelite.

2 Samuel 2:2 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextSo David went up thither, and his two wives also, Ahinoam the Jezreelitess, and Abigail Nabal's wife the Carmelite.

2 Samuel 2:9 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd made him king over Gilead, and over the Ashurites, and over Jezreel, and over Ephraim, and over Benjamin, and over all Israel.

2 Samuel 3:2 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd unto David were sons born in Hebron: and his firstborn was Amnon, of Ahinoam the Jezreelitess;

2 Samuel 4:4 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd Jonathan, Saul's son, had a son that was lame of his feet. He was five years old when the tidings came of Saul and Jonathan out of Jezreel, and his nurse took him up, and fled: and it came to pass, as she made haste to flee, that he fell, and became lame. And his name was Mephibosheth.

1 Kings 4:12 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextBaana the son of Ahilud; to him pertained Taanach and Megiddo, and all Bethshean, which is by Zartanah beneath Jezreel, from Bethshean to Abelmeholah, even unto the place that is beyond Jokneam:

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
JEZREEL in Scripture (continued)

1 Kings 18:45 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd it came to pass in the mean while, that the heaven was black with clouds and wind, and there was a great rain. And Ahab rode, and went to Jezreel.

1 Kings 18:46 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd the hand of the LORD was on Elijah; and he girded up his loins, and ran before Ahab to the entrance of Jezreel.

1 Kings 21:1 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd it came to pass after these things, that Naboth the Jezreelite had a vineyard, which was in Jezreel, hard by the palace of Ahab king of Samaria.

1 Kings 21:4 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd Ahab came into his house heavy and displeased because of the word which Naboth the Jezreelite had spoken to him: for he had said, I will not give thee the inheritance of my fathers. And he laid him down upon his bed, and turned away his face, and would eat no bread.

1 Kings 21:6 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd he said unto her, Because I spake unto Naboth the Jezreelite, and said unto him, Give me thy vineyard for money; or else, if it please thee, I will give thee another vineyard for it: and he answered, I will not give thee my vineyard.

1 Kings 21:7 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd Jezebel his wife said unto him, Dost thou now govern the kingdom of Israel? arise, and eat bread, and let thine heart be merry: I will give thee the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite.

1 Kings 21:15 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd it came to pass, when Jezebel heard that Naboth was stoned, and was dead, that Jezebel said to Ahab, Arise, take possession of the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite, which he refused to give thee for money: for Naboth is not alive, but dead.

1 Kings 21:16 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd it came to pass, when Ahab heard that Naboth was dead, that Ahab rose up to go down to the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite, to take possession of it.

1 Kings 21:23 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

2 Kings 8:29 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd king Joram went back to be healed in Jezreel of the wounds which the Syrians had given him at Ramah, when he fought against Hazael king of Syria. And Ahaziah the son of Jehoram king of Judah went down to see Joram the son of Ahab in Jezreel, because he was sick.

2 Kings 9:10 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd the dogs shall eat Jezebel in the portion of Jezreel, and there shall be none to bury her. And he opened the door, and fled.

2 Kings 9:15 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextBut king Joram was returned to be healed in Jezreel of the wounds which the Syrians had given him, when he fought with Hazael king of Syria.) And Jehu said, If it be your minds, then let none go forth nor escape out of the city to go to tell it in Jezreel.

2 Kings 9:16 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextSo Jehu rode in a chariot, and went to Jezreel; for Joram lay there. And Ahaziah king of Judah was come down to see Joram.

2 Kings 9:17 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd there stood a watchman on the tower in Jezreel, and he spied the company of Jehu as he came, and said, I see a company. And Joram said, Take an horseman, and send to meet them, and let him say, Is it peace?

2 Kings 9:21 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd Joram said, Make ready. And his chariot was made ready. And Joram king of Israel and Ahaziah king of Judah went out, each in his chariot, and they went out against Jehu, and met him in the portion of Naboth the Jezreelite.

2 Kings 9:25 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextThen said Jehu to Bidkar his captain, Take up, and cast him in the portion of the field of Naboth the Jezreelite: for remember how that, when I and thou rode together after Ahab his father, the LORD laid this burden upon him;