"They have dealt treacherously against the Lord: for they have begotten strange children: now shall a (month) devour them with their portions."
The word (month) is a typesetter error that has never been corrected. It should be the word (moth) as in, "Hosea 5:12 Therefore will I be unto Ephraim as a (moth), and to the house of Judah as rottenness."
There were many reprints of the KJV in the early days because of typesetter errors. This one has endured for centuries. It makes me smile every time I read it. I can tell you it was a real head-scratcher when I first came across it. It just didn't make any sense until I realized what it was. I hope you enjoy it now as much as I do. Keep Reading and Blessings!
While I'm at it "have dealt treacherously against the Lord" means they've turned their backs on him. "Have begotten strange children" means they've turned to other gods or doctrines. "Moth devour them with their portions" means God will destroy them and all that they have. "Be unto Ephraim as a moth" means he will destroy the Gentiles who have turned away from him. "And to the house of Judah as rottenness" means he will also come against the Israelis who have turned away from him. My Love!
The word (month) is a typesetter error that has never been corrected. It should be the word (moth) as in, "Hosea 5:12 Therefore will I be unto Ephraim as a (moth), and to the house of Judah as rottenness."
There were many reprints of the KJV in the early days because of typesetter errors. This one has endured for centuries. It makes me smile every time I read it. I can tell you it was a real head-scratcher when I first came across it. It just didn't make any sense until I realized what it was. I hope you enjoy it now as much as I do. Keep Reading and Blessings!
While I'm at it "have dealt treacherously against the Lord" means they've turned their backs on him. "Have begotten strange children" means they've turned to other gods or doctrines. "Moth devour them with their portions" means God will destroy them and all that they have. "Be unto Ephraim as a moth" means he will destroy the Gentiles who have turned away from him. "And to the house of Judah as rottenness" means he will also come against the Israelis who have turned away from him. My Love!