How Are You a Light of (Sexual) Purity Among Unbelievers?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering what the rest of you do to maintain a good example to others, especially those who are not Christians. Do people know you're living differently than the rest of the world, and if not, are there better ways of announcing or demonstrating your beliefs without sounding "preachy"?

As Christians, we are to be the "salt and light of the earth"--but what's your personal advice on how we should go about doing that?

I ask because I've had some conversations with a lot of younger people (18-22) who have told me things like, "Yeah, I've only (had sex with) 5 people...", and to tell you the truth, it always shocks me how casual they sound about it. I always want to hug them and say, "Don't you know you're worth so much more than being someone's number?"

But... I usually don't say anything... mostly because they're not asking me for advice, they're just wanting to talk, and I don't want to sound like I'm judging them or giving them a lecture. After all, one person told me they were experimenting with different partners because they'd seen a parent do that their entire life.

Another reason I don't try to "preach" is because I don't want to sound hypocritical. If asked about my own life, I'm completely honest with them about my own flaws and why I now make different choices.

Some time ago, a much younger guy (21) asked me out and I told him thank you but I thought the age difference was too great. He told me, "If I could get you drunk, you'd change your mind." I was actually kind of too shocked to say much back... He was not a Christian and had no interest in Christian principles, so instead of trying to talk to him about my faith, I told him that's exactly why I don't go to parties and drink-- because I don't want to be someone's drunken mistake.

But I always wondered if I could have said anything more constructive in order to "let my light shine"... If nothing else, I try to say something that might get a person thinking in a different direction, whether a Christian or not.

What about the rest of you? When you find others talking about living in ways that are contrary to God's will... What do you say or do? How do you respond? Or do you not say anything at all? What do you think are the best ways to "let your light shine" in such situations?

Feb 10, 2008
Interesting topic.

I guess I kind of have two standards.

1) Friends, or people who I would like to be friends with.
2) Strangers

With strangers, I am quite reserved. Especially with my struggles sexually, I am far from one to condemn them. I admit that I kind of enjoy the wit required to use double entendres (especially sexual) well. In respect to "understanding" I am far from innocent. I hadn't ever really held that behavior up to the biblical meter stick. It looks pretty worldly now. Either way, I don't hold people of mixed (or unknown) religion to biblical standards. If they are hurting someone I care about by there actions, I absolutely will appeal to them on a moral/emotional level, but otherwise for the most part I think I'd say at best I dismiss it with a half-hearted laugh. At worst I become engaged in it(conversation).

With friends I have taken a vastly different approach. I know several strong christian women who have become quite sexually active. In each of their cases I started quite harshly and was straight up telling them that they shouldn't be doing what they were. I was directly giving them advice and truly trying to directly affect their lives. As time passed, I stopped telling them what to do. Instead now, they know exactly what I think about what they are doing. I remind them of it, remind them that I care, but not all of them have stopped.

It certainly is a tough topic, I'm also interested to see what others have to say on the topic.

Dunno if I've followed your topic or not...hope so.

Jul 25, 2005
I think I confuse them more than anything else.

error

Oct 23, 2009
Hm....nice question.

Well, if i see that a person acts in a bad way-i try to explain thm-that this or that is not nice (and i explain why).
But sometimes-i need to control myself too:)

K

Kooper

Light Of The World.JPG

Well, I like to use christmas lights. Some people look at me like I'm crazy... *shrugs*

Light Of The World2.JPG

Aug 2, 2009
Trying to be a light of sexual purity would most likely get me arrested.