How can I regain love for God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

LoveLight738

Mar 8, 2018
Hi, My name is chance. I have been having a lot of trouble recently and I need some help. I have autism and OCD and Bipolar disorder and a few other things and I think they have all warped my view of God. I no longer see God as a loving God but I have began to see him as cruel and uncaring. It all started when I started reading about hell. I now have such terrible OCD about it that I can’t stand it anymore. It’s lirerally all I can think about anymore. I feel nothing but fear and anxiety even hearing God’s name anymore. I’m sorry if that makes me sound terrible but I do. I can’t read my Bible, I can’t pray, I can’t do anything without feelin* horrible anxiety. It’s like I have a phobia of God now. Even being in the same room as someone talking about God makes me feel like I can’t beeathr. I’m so worried God will hold all this against me, even though I can’t control it.

Hell is all I can think about. Who will go to hell? What about my family? What about me? I wake up hyperventilating nightly because of nightmares about God. I see no love in him anymore. How could a loving God create us knowing that most of us will be spending eternity in Hell burning and being tortured by demons in every way imaginable while we are eaten by maggots? How can you call that justice or love at all? How can I love a God who would gladly do that to me at any point? I ne longer see any worth in Christ’s death at the cross. I don’t see the point. All Jesus did was come and tell us that few people would make it to heaven(not encouraging at all) give us even more commandments, and then threaten us with eternal damnation for every little thing. Literally calling someone a name will get you sent to hell. How is any of that “Good news”

So, my question is, is God understanding of mental illness? Will he throw me in hell just because I’m having this much trouble loving him when it’s something I can barely control? Will he help me through this? I’m just so worried. I can barely sleep anymore and the thoughts of hell have brought me to tears many times. I can barely stand it. I just want to love God again but I fear him to much. I have this thing where if I am afraid of something I can’t stand to be around it. I am trying but it’s vefy hard. Please help me.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
Jesus didn't bring damnation and hell, he brought salvation and eternal life. Your phobia towards God isn't rational, belief in God brings a soul rest, not turmoil and anxiety. Your preoccupation with hell is unnecessary, Jesus is no threat to you, he's the best friend you'll ever have. No one has ever or will ever do more for you than Christ did.. Take solace in that.

Oct 14, 2017
Chance... I want to first tell you... no one on this earth knows all of what God will share with us one day... but because your peace and your love for God are at risk... I will share some of what I have come to know because I don't think you'll hear it from anyone else.

You will find that most people here will disagree with what I say... but I hope you will pray about my words to find out whether they are true -- relying on God to tell you if they are true... and not the nay-sayers. Let the Holy Spirit testify to you of whether I speak truth or not.

First... children are born into this world innocent.
There is no sense in being restored or redeemed to your original state if your original state is sinful. Children are born without sin... and anyone that doesn't know the difference between right and wrong is also in a state of innocence -- God will not condemn them. And, anyone that does things outside of their own control... God will not condemn.

As for hell... hell is not what most people think it is. If hell is a place of fire and grotesque tortures... would a God that even loves His enemies send people there?.. for eternity? Is He that spiteful? --no. Hell is simply this...

A place that God reserved for all those that chose not to be with Him, through their actions -- and made that choice knowingly. The choice has to be made with a knowledge of what they are turning away from... because without knowledge... we are still in a state of innocence... and God doesn't punish the innocent.

...but for those few that knowingly choose to be without God... He will not force them to be with Him... and, the last loving face they will see will be Jesus. ...

John 5:28Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, 29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

But in order to sin.. you must first have knowledge of good and evil... and choose evil.

On a side note.. that is why the eating of the apple is a transgression, but not a sin. Because without the knowledge they gained from biting the apple from the tree of knowledge of good and evil... they were still in a state of innocence.

So very few people will actually go to hell... and the burning they will feel is regret... after having looked upon the face of love... and then going to the place they chose for themselves... where God isn't... and where love isn't.

Now... is there a way to escape hell? Would God send workers there to minister to people if there weren't a way? ... when people hear the truth enough... and begin to regret ever wronging another... I believe that is the beginning of being worthy of redemption.

So, now there must be an explanation of heaven... because I just shared that most people will be there.

Every moment of your life you are either loving people, loving yourself, or doing both... and both is what you are supposed to be doing. No matter what state we are created in... we are here to act (sometimed upon others) and to be acted upon (sometimes by others). How others act toward/upon you is a test that they are either passing or failing... but if all people were created with a perfect mind and perfect temperament... life would not be a test for any of us.

Your condition and mine and anyone else's are tools that allow us to either build patience, understanding, and love for others... or contempt, impatience, and hostility... depending on what path our hearts choose.

If we choose love... then, whether we know it or not... and whether we accept it or not...we have chosen Jesus. If we love... Jesus is our companion... and we chose Him through our actions.

And because we chose Him... He will not cast us somewhere that He won't be -- that place is reserved for those who didn't love... where their hearts will burn with regret.

So, how is it that someone can get into heaven without accepting the knowledge of Jesus? I'll come back to that one.

1st Cor:15 tells us about the resurrection. It tells us that there are glories that we may be resurrected to -- 1Cor 15:40 "There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. 41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

It is to Heaven that we will be resurrected.

So what is the purpose of three heavens? And are there three heavens? 2Corinthians 12:2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.

If there is a third heaven... There must be a first and second heaven.

So there are three heavens... Why?

The first heaven is for those who loved... Who chose Christ to be there companion in life... but would not accept the fullness of his truth when they heard it in their grave... Those who loved but did not consciously believe in Jesus... even in death. THAT... is how you get into heaven without consciously choosing Jesus... by loving people (sub-consciously choosing Jesus).

The third heaven is for those who chose Christ to be their companion... And accepted the fullness of Christ when they heard it in the grave... But, with greater knowledge comes greater responsibility, and so, having heard the knowledge and accepted it they must Covenant to live by it... Even after this life. This heaven is where God, the Father is... and will teach you all of what you were promised in 2Peter 1:2 "Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, 3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: 4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Everything pertaining to life and godliness... Only the best teacher could teach us that.

And the second (middle) heaven is for those people who would attain the third heaven... But would not live in accordance with their Covenant.

This is the plan that allows each of us to go to the place where we are most meant to be... Where we will find others like ourselves... And we will always have the ability to progress.

Whether we learn enough to be worthy of the chance to come back and strive for the next higher heaven is a concept I sometimes ponder.

Some would say no... Because we are to have only one life... But in truth death is an illusion. There is only life... and endless opportunities for us to learn.

God did not create anyone with the intent that they would be damned... He gave them choice ... to be with Him or not. Those who chose to not be with God, He will not force to be with Him.

I know that God loves us all. And He hopes that we will find patience and love for others... and ourselves... as we prepare to make that choice to either be with Him or not.

The plan is one of choice and happiness and growth... we end up where we choose... and where we are ready to be... God does nothing except love us... give us opportunities to turn to Him... and hope we choose Him... because Je wants us to choose to be where He is -- but He won't force us.

I hope this made sense... and I hope it brings you peace.

...and you can know that the unpleasant images you imagine are the creation of a warped version of truth... but not truth at all.

I say these things out of love... even though they will bring the full force of the wisdom of man upon me by anonymous "religious" fanatics.

All I know is to remain teachable... because after this life we will be offered much more than we've ever heard. God is good :) and His plan is spectacular and perfect.

lovetodance

May 18, 2018
[h=1]Hi Chance, I am so sorry you are dealing with these fears and concerns. God is a loving God. He loves us so much that he sent his son on the cross for our salvation John 3:16. He knows we struggle as human beings but he never stops loving us no matter what we do or our circumstances, like mental illness. I can relate as I have struggled with bipolar symptoms, OCD and depression. Through prayer with my friends and professional help, I learned that God is real and loves me even during my lowest times. There is two poems I keep close to my heart to remember this: Footprints and the Difference.
[/h][h=1]I have also learned and come to accept that we do have an enemy who tries to deceive us and take our focus off of our heavenly father. He is the father of lies and torments us. The good news as God has equipped us with tools we need to stand firm against the enemy. [/h][h=1]Ephesians 6:10-18 The Armor of God [SUP]10 [/SUP]Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. [SUP]11 [/SUP]Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. [SUP]12 [/SUP]For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. [SUP]13 [/SUP]Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. [SUP]14 [/SUP]Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, [SUP]15 [/SUP]and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. [SUP]16 [/SUP]In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. [SUP]17 [/SUP]Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.[/h][h=1] I just finished a bible series by Priscilla Shirer called The Armor of God. I would highly recommend you go through it. It teaches us about the enemy and how we can stand up against him. I also found a good article that discusses heaven and hell. I think that will shed some insight for you. [/h] I will be praying for you and feel free to contact me if you want to chat more. Love and Blessings.

Dynamaniac

Feb 10, 2017
Hello, Chance. I'm sorry you're struggling and wrestling with all of this. It is so important to understand that hell is the absence of God and that God chooses it for no man. God does gives us that free will to choose Him or not to choose Him. He will never force himself on anyone. Satan, the Devil, the Evil One, or whatever you want to call him, however, is a very good liar. He comes to kill, steal, and destroy, and he lurks like a lion waiting to pounce on all of us -- especially believers. The good thing to remember about him though is that he cannot read your thoughts. Only God can read your thoughts and only God knows your heart. This just gives me so much comfort to know that no matter how powerful he thinks he is, he cannot match or even come close to the power of God.

God created us for His glory because He loves so much and He wanted to have a companion for His love -- us. He does not wish for any one of us to perish, not even one. But He also created us with a free will to choose for who would want to be forced into an eternity where we didn't want to be. A healthy fear of hell is not always a bad thing, but an obsession over that fear can be overwhelming. God gave us His Word (in and through Jesus, the incarnation of God) so that we had an example of how much He actually loved us. Can you imagine what God suffered as He watched (knowing He had the power to stop it) His son being beaten and tortured (no movie could ever come close to depicting the horrors He suffered on our behalf)? Remember that God cannot be in the presence of sin (evil). Knowing this, can you imagine how He felt when He had to turn His face from His only begotten son because He could not bear to be in the presence of the sin of the world that was placed upon the shoulders of Jesus, that actually killed Him in the end?

Jesus triumphed over Satan that day when He rose from the dead. The tomb is empty. It could not hold the glory of God. Death could never hold God because death is the wages of sin. Jesus had no sin -- NONE. And unlike someone else's post, we are all born as sinners. We may not have a conscious knowledge of sin until we're older, but we are born sinners. The pain of childbirth is proof of this.

God works all things for good for those who love Him and are called for His purpose. Could this be your purpose -- to testify to the reality of hell and the fear of hell? What better witness to the truth and the light than the witness of the darkness that awaits those that refuse to be loved by and to glorify God? It is not God's wish for your to suffer in fear of Him. It truly anguishes Him that you fear Him. I pray that Jesus will break the chains that bind you and that the light of His love is revealed to you through the hearing of His Word. God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whomsoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to judge or condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

Oct 14, 2017
Dynamaniac... i think you have many good points... and i know this thread is aimed at helping Chance... but i wanted to ask... if God can't be in the presence of evil... how was Satan face to face with God when they talked about Job?

And... if pain is proof of the presence of sin... how is it that Jesus felt pain before taking the sin of the world upon Himself?

I believe Chance... and all of us... could be helped by the knowledge that all things come in opposition. I mean... in order to have joy... we must know its opposite... pain. If we never know hunger... we will never appreciate a full belly. If we never know cold we will never appreciate warmth... if we never know sacrifice we will never be appreciated for our sacrifice... and if others never need sacrifice for us... we will never know what it is to appreciate the sacrifice of others.

Being that all things come in opposition... the pain of child birth isn't proof of sin... it's foretelling of the joys of parenthood... and Chance... your pain and struggles are foretelling of joys to come as well... we just need to keep looking for truth.

I hope this helps... God bless.

Feb 28, 2016
there is no 'real joy' in this 'fallen-world', for those who
have not been 'called-out' of it,..

and, we will 'reap' what we sow'...

Dynamaniac

Feb 10, 2017
Thanks for the questions, Jason. But if you know about the temple and the holiest of holies, then you know the reason for my comments about God not being in the presence of sin (also known as evil). The veil was torn when Jesus was on the cross, making it possible for those of us who call Him Lord to be in His presence and no longer needing to be separated from Him with the veil. This is also why priests had to make atonement for us because they were covered in the oil which represented the blood of Jesus. The pain of childbirth was the curse on Eve in the garden, as Adam was cursed to work after the fall, the earth was also cursed by God because Adam listened to Eve. (Genesis 3:16-18) As far as Satan being in the presence of God, this is a really good question and one I'm not equipped with the knowledge to answer.

I think we have to be careful not to take scripture out of context and that Chance needs to come the the realization that He is loved and that God has a plan for him, even through this trial he is working through. You're right, we cannot good without evil, and joy without pain, but we also know that Jesus left heaven to walk with man so that we could see and learn what God truly was -- love, purity, kindness, forgiveness; and that God is not about fear. At the same time, we should fear being out of the presence of God for we know that evil is the absence of God. God does not send us to hell; we choose to go there when we refuse to acknowledge His glory and His power and His love.

I appreciate the discussion, Jason, but as you said in your first thread, I really don't agree with your interpretations of the scriptures. Jesus said that the path was narrow and that few would find the gate and in comparison to how many people have and will walk the earth, this is truth. There is no way to heaven but through Jesus and while rewards may differ, we will all be in the presence of our Lord and Savior when that day comes. And the dead will rise and we will all face God. The questions is will you be judged by the Law or will you be rewarded by grace because of the blood shed by Jesus on the cross. For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God and there is not one that is righteous apart from Jesus.

I'm not sure what you mean by your question about Jesus's pain. Of course He felt pain before the cross. He bled in the garden while praying, He felt pain from rejection by His own people who were waiting for Him to come. God does not promise us a pain-free life. He does promise that His word will not return to Him empty and that He will finish the work He started in us. He also promises that He will never forsake us!

God Bless you. And again, I really appreciate the discussion.

AngelFrog

Feb 16, 2015
Hi, My name is chance. I have been having a lot of trouble recently and I need some help. I have autism and OCD and Bipolar disorder and a few other things and I think they have all warped my view of God. I no longer see God as a loving God but I have began to see him as cruel and uncaring. It all started when I started reading about hell. I now have such terrible OCD about it that I can’t stand it anymore. It’s lirerally all I can think about anymore. I feel nothing but fear and anxiety even hearing God’s name anymore. I’m sorry if that makes me sound terrible but I do. I can’t read my Bible, I can’t pray, I can’t do anything without feelin* horrible anxiety. It’s like I have a phobia of God now. Even being in the same room as someone talking about God makes me feel like I can’t beeathr. I’m so worried God will hold all this against me, even though I can’t control it.

Hell is all I can think about. Who will go to hell? What about my family? What about me? I wake up hyperventilating nightly because of nightmares about God. I see no love in him anymore. How could a loving God create us knowing that most of us will be spending eternity in Hell burning and being tortured by demons in every way imaginable while we are eaten by maggots? How can you call that justice or love at all? How can I love a God who would gladly do that to me at any point? I ne longer see any worth in Christ’s death at the cross. I don’t see the point. All Jesus did was come and tell us that few people would make it to heaven(not encouraging at all) give us even more commandments, and then threaten us with eternal damnation for every little thing. Literally calling someone a name will get you sent to hell. How is any of that “Good news”

So, my question is, is God understanding of mental illness? Will he throw me in hell just because I’m having this much trouble loving him when it’s something I can barely control? Will he help me through this? I’m just so worried. I can barely sleep anymore and the thoughts of hell have brought me to tears many times. I can barely stand it. I just want to love God again but I fear him to much. I have this thing where if I am afraid of something I can’t stand to be around it. I am trying but it’s vefy hard. Please help me.
God created Hell for the fallen Lucifer, now known as Satan, and his angels come the judgment.

Firstly after saying that, (HUGGING YOU) . I will not say I can imagine how you feel . However, I will say that God always loves you. If you wonder how you can regain love for God, love yourself. Love you warts and all, as they say.
You are made in the image and likeness of God. Every life, every struggle, is a sermon of sorts that God ordains to be a message, a parable even, to the world that the individual encounters in their little space in this life.

It may sound odd to you but you are a blessing in this world because God does not make mistakes. Although there is the case of his having a goofy sense of humor when we look at the penguin, platypus and sloth. HAHAHAHA! OK, all better now.

This may help you in your query. God be with you.[h=2]6. The Doctrine of Salvation (John 3:1-21)[/h]

AngelFrog

Feb 16, 2015
Jesus didn't bring damnation and hell, he brought salvation and eternal life. Your phobia towards God isn't rational, belief in God brings a soul rest, not turmoil and anxiety. Your preoccupation with hell is unnecessary, Jesus is no threat to you, he's the best friend you'll ever have. No one has ever or will ever do more for you than Christ did.. Take solace in that.
You are seriously telling someone who has said in the OP they suffer autism and OCD and Bipolar disorder , that they aren't thinking rationally?

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
You are seriously telling someone who has said in the OP they suffer autism and OCD and Bipolar disorder , that they aren't thinking rationally?
:rolleyes: Good point... I didn't say he was thinking rational, but that his impression of God was irrational. I was attempting to relieve some of his fear and anxiety towards God and his obsession with hell. He wrote that his psychological perception had warped his view of God, so my objective was to encourage him to look at the other side of the coin. Belief equals salvation, so worrying about hell isn't part of the equation. I'd be somewhat depressed myself if I believed eternal hell fire was my destiny.

J

joefizz

Well actually that "makes sense" as per your mental problems,autism mixed with bipolar disorder,that's a bad combo,because for one your autism side,similar to my perfectionist side will have you to "fixate" on things particularly what you "want answered" and then unfortunately due to your bipolar side you feel "overwhelmed" and "frustrated" and a lot of "Anxiety" just as I have a touch of similar issues like depression/anxiety but in your case "way more" constant and amplified.
Well first let me offer you a friendship if you'd like someone to talk to that can "relate" to your struggling to understand God as well as get a grip on "emotions".(I am very unsociable at times for no reason at all at times except for on the internet,easier to express emotions here)
Next yeah hell is scary but if you want simple truth that you can "rely on" accept Jesus,humbly and sincerely as your Saviour and Lord,and to be honest you will not only "no longer"have a "reason to fear hell" as that through accepting Jesus and the Holy spirit you accept Salvation/Eternal lifewhat after death(yes it is that simple yet "tough" only due to setting aside "pride" to do so)
and the ability to "calm yourself" by resting in Jesus,meaning tell him your worries,let him guide you,let the Holy spirit "comfort you" with thoughts of prayer,gospel songs,and above all teach you how to genuinely "feel emotions" even though those times may be brief it "really helps".

N

NoNameMcgee

everyone

guilty of even 1 sin
is going to hell

this is just

but God is not only just

He is loving
and has an abundance of mercy

when Jesus died on the cross
this was a sacrifice in which
He payed for every sin of the WHOLE world....

so that those who believe on Him can be seen as sinless as He is

those who are born again

are adopted children

every single sin is covered by the blood of Jesus
(all glory goes to Him)

and we who have sinned but been born again

will have the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ

our Lord and savior

we are justified by His righteousness

Romans 5:19

“For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.”

praise God

Matthew 7:21-23
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

The will of the Father

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
These men believe in their "wonderful works" to save them... not Jesus

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

these are boasting of works because they have not submitted to His righteousness they will still have the sins they commit to answer for

He never knew them... this isnt they had and lost

will of the Father?

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day

i hope this isnt too long winded my friend

romans 9

30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.

31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.

32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Romans 10
10 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth

you cannot earn your way into heaven

we are saved by grace through faith

and faith is much like love
if it is genuine

if it is faced with trials it ultimately grows and gets stronger even if there are moments of doubt
it does not fade or break at the end of the day

you can KNOW you are saved

fear is how it starts chance

we know we deserve a just punishment for the sins we are already guilty of

then we seek salvation
when
He calls us

and when we find Him
if we indeed believe

we continue seeking more knowledge of Him
a relationship with Him

and in time His love for us is made known and casts out our fear

we can have assurance in His promises

john 6

28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?

29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

N

NoNameMcgee

also

if you want your love for and faith in Jesus to grow

you need to build your personal relationship with Him

if you need help on tips to study the bible in a way that can be done for even people who have a hard time with things like this

preachers to listen to

or just help understanding what it is the bible is saying

please feel free to PM me

i can help explain the context to you

(but praaaaaayer is Huuuuuuuge..... pour your heart out to Him.... daily..... as much as possible.... seek His will on your life and ask Him to provide growth... to show you truth and what HE wants you to see)

Jun 2, 2018
First off, I want you to know God, loves you very much and is very concerned with your concerns and wants to rescue you from that state of mind. I don't want you to focus on how much you love God that's not what is the most important issue 1 John 4:10 says THIS IS LOVE, not that we love God but that he loves us! So don't focus on you and how much love you can give to God. I'm sorry you are going through this but I want you to know Jesus has forgiven you of ALL of your sins and He bore all all of your sicknesses and diseases, he became forsaken so you would never be forsaken. In Romans it says that Jesus became sin FOR US that we might become the righteousness of God!! I know you don't see it now but you are clean and righteous and God calls you a Son/Daughter and He wants you to cast all your cares on HIM because He cares for you. Jesus loves you. Look to Jesus, He will never fail. God did not place these illnesses on you...He is not out to get you or trick you or even send you to Hell His job is to save you!

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
Hi Chance,

I am convinced that the more we understand God's love for us, the more we will love Him back. I am further convinced the the more we love Him, the more we will love what He loves, which is other people.

I invite you to neglect all the passages that talk about God's wrath and focus on learning who Jesus is and how much He loves you personally. Read the gospel of John a few times just asking God to help you understand His love for you.

I think learning about God's love for us and consequently loving Him back is the most important thing in life. Perhaps, it is the only important thing.

At any rate, use your OCD and hyperfocus on God's love for you and ask Him to help you love Him back (which will also result in you loving others the way He does). It's possible that learning of His love for us and loving Him back is the only important thing in Christianity.

Even if it is not, it won't hurt to pursue it exclusively for a few weeks anyway.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
God has already given us the most important thing that we need. There is only one thing we should do. Glorify Him for all the great things He has done. Even if you feel He has forsaken you, He will never do that because He promised He will not forsake us. We all have some struggles in life. And we all need God. Put your hope in Him. May you find peace despite your sufferings. Pray and read the Psalms for encouragement.

LoveLight738

Mar 8, 2018
Thank you all so much. I have been going through a very severe depression and I backslid but this helped me a lot more than you(and even me) can imagine. I appreciate it so much, God bless you all!

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
Focusing on God's love for you help defend against backsliding, too. The more you understand how much He loves you, the more you want to love Him back.