How can I tell when God needs me to do something?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 14, 2021
I'm 15 years old, so im not living a completely independent life. I mean I still have people bossing me around (which doesnt bother me), but that does seem to make it harder for me to focus on things I feel God wants me to do. What im trying to say I guess is that I feel like God is wanting me to do something that involves a certain person in my life, but since im still a kid it can seem unreasonable or far fetched. so my question is how can I be sure this is what God wants me to do, and if it is how can I explain it to my "Higher Ups"?

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello @JoshlovesJesus, there are very few passages in the Bible that begin like 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5 does, stating plainly, "this is the will of God..." It would be nice if that happened all the time, but it doesn't. I think this is because God wants us to discern His will for our lives through the growing relationship that we have with Him (which certainly involves growing in the knowledge and understanding of His word, first and foremost).

Here are a couple of verses that may be worth considering, as well a message on discerning God's will from theologian/pastor Dr. R. C. Sproul (if you'd care to listen to it). While this may not be exactly what you're looking for, it is at least a place to start :)

Psalm 37
4 Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.
Romans 12
2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

God bless you!

~Deut
p.s. - Psalm 37:4 is a command with a promise attached to it from God. The secret to obeying our half of the verse is to always chase after the Lord alone, never after the things that we think we want from Him.

God's Will and the Bible by R.C. Sproul from The Will of God (ligonier.org)

And here is a short article and video that you may find helpful too. The words of the article and the words of the video are identical, so you can watch, listen and/or read it. There should also be some other articles on the same topic to check out at the Got Questions site, just scroll down to the bottom of the page when you're done.

How can I know God’s will for my life? What does the Bible say about knowing God’s will? | GotQuestions.org

Jun 14, 2021
Hello @JoshlovesJesus, there are very few passages in the Bible that begin like 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5 does, stating plainly, "this is the will of God..." It would be nice if that happened all the time, but it doesn't. I think this is because God wants us to discern His will for our lives through the growing relationship that we have with Him (which certainly involves growing in the knowledge and understanding of His word, first and foremost).

Here are a couple of verses that may be worth considering, as well a message on discerning God's will from theologian/pastor Dr. R. C. Sproul (if you'd care to listen to it). While this may not be exactly what you're looking for, it is at least a place to start :)

Psalm 37
4 Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.
Romans 12
2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

God bless you!

~Deut
p.s. - Psalm 37:4 is a command with a promise attached to it from God. The secret to obeying our half of the verse is to always chase after the Lord alone, never after the things that we think we want from Him.

God's Will and the Bible by R.C. Sproul from The Will of God (ligonier.org)

And here is a short article and video that you may find helpful too. The words of the article and the words of the video are identical, so you can watch, listen and/or read it. There should also be some other articles on the same topic to check out at the Got Questions site, just scroll down to the bottom of the page when you're done.

How can I know God’s will for my life? What does the Bible say about knowing God’s will? | GotQuestions.org
Thank you very much! I will be sure to take a look at the article and the video. God bless

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
JoshlovesJesu, I wish I would have been as smart as you are at such a tender age of 15!! What you did not know is that there are not 1 but 2 schools we need to attend. lol The first school you are attending right now,a school to learn the world's ways. BUT!! IF!!! you are serious,then there is another school we attend,and this school lasts a life time,the only way we graduate is when Jesus takes us to his home.

As an Elder in the body of Christ Josh and being a true disciple,I will give you the steps along with scripture so you can see this for yourself! Step one of class,we first must learn to renew our minds.( Rom 12:1-2) What does this mean one may ask? It means we daily STAY everyday in God's Word! 2. We look as much as possible to be and stay led by HIS Holy Spirit.( Rom 8:11-16) ( 1 John 2:25-29) People can help, as long as they lead you to God's Word in there help!!

If someone tells you Jesus said, or did this or that,your response is show me chapter and verse! For if one says they know there Lord Jesus,they sure as heck should know his Word as well!! Because Jesus reminds us not to trust in man.( Psalm 118:8) and 3. And this is the hardest one at least it was for me. LOL One must learn to seperate there FEELING from the truth of God's Word!! I know!!!

This will take time,you are young with many emotions running through your body right now,I understand this Josh. But doing this now will help you greatly in your later life. And finally 4. Find a good Body of Christ,you will not find a perfect church,but no matter how young or how old we get we all need support! As you do these things and are faithful in them,that is key!! Being faithful! Jesus will show you much more as he has me. I am far from perfect myself!! However I am the most thankful person God ever created!!( 1 Thess 5:18)

Rather then complaining learn to be and stay thankful,for this is God's WILL!! This should get you started on the straight and narrow path few find,because few will use discipline on themselfs!!( 1 Cor 9:22-27) And stay away from judging others even though you may be correct in who or what you are judging.( Rom 2:1-5) Verse 4!! Help you mindset by thinking as much as you can upon what Jesus does each of us.( Phil 4:7-9) I sure do not have all the answer Josh but I sure can tell you how Jesus helped me gain his mindset! Blessing to you. I am still learning to!! I always will Josh.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
www.101christiansocialnetwork.com
I made a lot of mistakes in my teens, because I rushed things.
You are showing wisdom in asking these questions and I applaud you for it.

My mistakes were that I would find a scripture that seemed to match my desire or what I thought I should do, but I didn't search the scriptures to see if what I was thinking was in line with the character of God, I didn't heed the advice of my elders or seek godly council too well either. Hearing from God is personal and it is tricky, which is why it is wise to pray and take your time and seek godly counsel from church elders and leaders.

James 3 says that the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.
Proverbs 11 v 4 tells us that people fall due to a lack of godly counsellors. There is safety in having many of them and listening well and praying over the advice you receive.

So in seeking wisdom, and godly counsel, think about believers who show these qualities James speaks of, and speak to them. It is impossible for us to comment if we dont know what the thing is that you feel the Lord wants you to do, you are wise to share it with solid believers and let the teach you how to test everything by the bible and prayer.

You need wisdom to know what is of God and wisdom to explain to your elders in the right way too.

God bless and help you.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Hi friend, you are only 15. Adults have a lot more experience. Tell them what you are thinking. Ask for their opinions of what you are saying and what they think of the person, you are thinking about.

Jun 14, 2021
I would find a scripture that seemed to match my desire or what I thought I should do
this is the exact reason I wanted to ask. I didnt know if I was wanting to do it, or if God was. and also thank you very much for the advice.

Apr 18, 2020
I'm 15 years old, so im not living a completely independent life. I mean I still have people bossing me around (which doesnt bother me), but that does seem to make it harder for me to focus on things I feel God wants me to do. What im trying to say I guess is that I feel like God is wanting me to do something that involves a certain person in my life, but since im still a kid it can seem unreasonable or far fetched. so my question is how can I be sure this is what God wants me to do, and if it is how can I explain it to my "Higher Ups"?
Be sensitive to the spirit when someone is struggling you Carry a burden and a desire to help that's when God puts on your heart his desires for you.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
introduce the other person you like to your family. If you marry her when you are an adult she would be part of the family.

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
Also I will say this about parents as you are 15. Some will probably not like what I am about to say, but from my point as I have always been strong willed. As a child, I learned from my parents,I learned how to lie,just as I saw them do to me. Parents don not explain to you why they said, or did something,so why should you!

I got beat a lot,and they only made me more strong willed,they will never break me!! And though they did a lot to look to break me,they never did!The Word of God says to honor your parents( Eph 6:2-4) But all my father looked to do was verse 4! Anyway!! Honor means to give strong thought to what they say to you,I did! BUT!!!

That does not mean you have to preform the action they seek either! As a Kid what you need to learn is to be true to YOU!! You need to learn to be on your own,think for yourself!! When I made mistakes I did not have any excuse!! I wanted to make mistakes MY MISTAKES!! You best friend other then Jesus of course is YOURSELF!!! BRO! When I grew and began to work in the world, I was very glad I had learned a few things before dealing with another party. All my best to those in this situation.

HumbleOne

Jul 10, 2021
If you like to read, get the book Experiencing God. Has some very good insights.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Also I will say this about parents as you are 15. Some will probably not like what I am about to say, but from my point as I have always been strong willed. As a child, I learned from my parents,I learned how to lie,just as I saw them do to me. Parents don not explain to you why they said, or did something,so why should you!

I got beat a lot,and they only made me more strong willed,they will never break me!! And though they did a lot to look to break me,they never did!The Word of God says to honor your parents( Eph 6:2-4) But all my father looked to do was verse 4! Anyway!! Honor means to give strong thought to what they say to you,I did! BUT!!!

That does not mean you have to preform the action they seek either! As a Kid what you need to learn is to be true to YOU!! You need to learn to be on your own,think for yourself!! When I made mistakes I did not have any excuse!! I wanted to make mistakes MY MISTAKES!! You best friend other then Jesus of course is YOURSELF!!! BRO! When I grew and began to work in the world, I was very glad I had learned a few things before dealing with another party. All my best to those in this situation.
I became a golden gloves boxer to deal with my Mothers abusive boyfriends. Get in the habitat of observing people and learn from their mistakes. Listen to your parents to gain any wisdom or common sense they may have.

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
The learner, hehe you learn fast!! Agree listen,but, decide for yourself if there words are right for you personal,or is it something they want for them. Do not be controlled!!!! Do what you know is right and correct for YOU! The idea is when you know you are in God's will,or you know you are looking to always seek his will,then and only then, can you give this to others,not as a must but rather being an example.

Jesus never forced himself upon anyone,but what he had, people saw,and that is what I want to be. To encourage,to correct in love of course,and to be loyal! You really had a challenge TheLearner!!

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
The learner, hehe you learn fast!! Agree listen,but, decide for yourself if there words are right for you personal,or is it something they want for them. Do not be controlled!!!! Do what you know is right and correct for YOU! The idea is when you know you are in God's will,or you know you are looking to always seek his will,then and only then, can you give this to others,not as a must but rather being an example.

Jesus never forced himself upon anyone,but what he had, people saw,and that is what I want to be. To encourage,to correct in love of course,and to be loyal! You really had a challenge TheLearner!!
There is a saying convert or burn. How is that not forcing himself on those people?

Like C.S. Lewis I came scratching and screaming into the kingdom.