How did Jesus LOVE the church?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

proverbs35

Senior Member
Nov 10, 2012
827
239
43
church and gave himself up for her (Ep 5:25).

That verse brings to mind a very important question that often gets overlooked or glossed over.
How did Christ love the church in addition to dying for her? Jesus loved the church enough to die for her, but he did a whole lot of stuff before he died and rose again too.

Jesus forgave the church.


  • Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Eph 4:32

Therefore, a husband who loves his wife like Christ loved the church will forgive his wife.

Jesus had compassion.

  • When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Mt 9:36
  • Matthew 14:14
  • When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick.
  • Matthew 15:32
  • Jesus called his disciples to him and said, "I have compassion for these people; they have already been with me three days and have nothing to eat. I do not want to send them away hungry, or they may collapse on the way."
  • Mark 6:34
  • When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he began teaching them many things.
  • Mark 8:2
  • "I have compassion for these people; they have already been with me three days and have nothing to eat.

A husband who loves his wife like Christ loved the church will have compassion on his wife.

Jesus was humble.


  • You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; He took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross. Phil 2:5-8
  • Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Mt 11:29
  • "Tell the people of Jerusalem, 'Look, your King is coming to you. He is humble, riding on a donkey--riding on a donkey's colt.'" Mt 21:5
  • Jesus washed the disciples' feet. John 13:1-7

A husband who loves his wife like Christ loved the church will be humble with his wife.

Jesus was not self seeking. His goal was to please and do the will of his Heavenly Father, so he could be a blessing to the church.


  • By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me. John 5:30
  • For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. John 6:38
  • Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." Mt 26:39

A husband who loves his wife like Christ loved the church will not promote his own selfish agenda, but he will seek to please God and promote God's will in the marriage.

Jesus promoted peace.

  • Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." John 20:21
  • "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
  • Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

A husband who loves his wife like Christ loved the church will promote peace in his marriage.

Jesus prayed for the church.

12 Bible Verses to Show How Jesus Prayed

A husband who loves his wife like Christ loved the church will pray for his wife.

Jesus promoted truth.

  • "You are a king, then!" said Pilate. Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me." John 18:37
  • The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:14

A husband who loves his wife like Christ loved the church will be truthful with his wife.

Jesus proclaimed justice.

  • "Here is my servant whom I have chosen, the one I love, in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him, and he will proclaim justice to the nations. Mt 12:18

A husband who loves his wife like Christ loved the church will be "just" with his wife.

Jesus is a giver and not a taker.

  • Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts and establish them in every good work and word. 2 Thes 2:16-17
  • "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will giveyou rest. Matthew 11:28
  • Then he took the seven loaves and the fish, and when he had given thanks, he broke them and gave them to the disciples, and they in turn to the people. Matthew 15:36

A husband who loves his wife like Christ loved the church will be more concerned about giving to his wife as opposed to what he can get from his wife.

Jesus suffered for the church.

  • Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin. 2As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. 1 Peter 4:1-2

A husband who loves his wife like Christ loved the church will suffer for his wife.

Jesus came to serve the church.

  • For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Mark 10:45
  • just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Mt 20:28

A husband who loves his wife like Christ loved the church will serve his wife.

Jesus stopped calling the church slaves and started calling the church friends.

  • "No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. John 15:15

A husband who loves his wife like Christ loved the church won't talk to or about his wife like she's a slave, but he'll talk to her and treat her as his most intimate friend.