How did the ancient Israelis find mates?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
And, how good were those marriages?

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
I think you mean Israelites. I don't think there were ancient Israelis, given that the state of Israel is only some 80 or so years old.

All the good ancient Israelites found their wives by dealing with sheep, or other animals.

Abraham's servant found a wife for his son because he had her feed his camel. Jacob got both of his wives and two concubines by pursuing his favourite wife, who was a shepherdess. Moses was rewarded his wife because he fought off the bad shepherds who weren't letting his wife and her sisters water their father's flocks (presumably shepherdesses also). David was a shepherd, but then got involved with the Philistines which are arguably even dirtier than animals. Finally, King Saul agreed to give him his daughter to wed if he'd but just smite 100 or so Philistines.

So as you can see, if you want a wife, you need to tend to animals - preferably sheep - unless smiting Philistines is your thing. The marriages were presumably good, but you do hear a few minor complaints.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
That may explain why that one woman married/divorced five times. She was looking for a shepherd. Then she figured forget it, I'll just shack up with a guy. Less paperwork when we break up.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I think you mean Israelites. I don't think there were ancient Israelis, given that the state of Israel is only some 80 or so years old.
Please explain the difference for me? Israel was a country 3,000 years ago, and is one now. I would think that Israelis and Israelites were interchangeable terms. Why do you say they're not?

As for the rest of your post, I'm SOL because I ain't got no sheep.

soberxp

May 3, 2018
Take the famous people in the OT Bible. Trust in God and they will get the fit one they want.
Only the parties themselves know how good it was.
And they must have blessed mates,For there is a boy to be born in the house of Israel, and that is Jesus Christ.

As for the rest of Israelites, they may be going through the same situation as we are now.
Ecclesiastes 1:9
The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Please explain the difference for me? Israel was a country 3,000 years ago, and is one now. I would think that Israelis and Israelites were interchangeable terms. Why do you say they're not?

The Israelites were those descended from Israel (Jacob). The Israelis are those whose citizenship is granted by the modern state of Israel.

F

Forever_Saved

That may explain why that one woman married/divorced five times. She was looking for a shepherd. Then she figured forget it, I'll just shack up with a guy. Less paperwork when we break up.

And then she found the main shepherd at the well lol

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Through Twitter - I think.
‘I am from the Mediterranean region so the way marriages used to work (and some still do) is that you go to the town square and you put up a sign “I’m looking for a wife”.

Then, family members come to you and interview you.
‘How much money do you have?
How many sheep do you have?
How many houses do you have?

Based on that, then they offer you a bride.

Jan 22, 2023
I’m fairly certain that the parents chose for their children

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022

Chicken wings can be substituted in a pinch in some places.