How did the giants survive a global flood?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
There were giants in the earth in those days;
Genesis 6:4

So if there were giants living amongst men before the 'flood' then how does one reconcile the scriptural accounts of giants after the flood, for example in 2 Sam 21:20 of “a man of great stature, that had on every hand six fingers, and on every foot six toes, four and twenty in number; and he also was born to the giant.”

vic1980

Apr 25, 2013
According to 1 Peter 3:20 they did not survive thee flood.​

1 Peter 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Let us be wise , and agree , with what the LORD has shown. To His Apostles to remind us , upon such matters.

Shalom

vic1980

Apr 25, 2013

1 Peter 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Let us be wise , and agree , with what the LORD has shown. To His Apostles to remind us , upon such matters.

Shalom
Upon after the flood event, how exactly did the Giants return unto the earth surface . This i cannot give you a answer , only God knows for sure.

Shalom

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
According to 1 Peter 3:20 they did not survive thee flood.
It is also written in 2 Peter 1:20, " Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."

However, that doesn't exactly align with the scriptures recorded after the 'flood' which indicate that the giants did in fact exist afterwards.

And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: Num 13:33

For only Og king of Bashan remained of the remnant of giants; Deut 3:11

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017

Shalom
Agreed. Nobody survived the Flood except those in the Ark. To contradict that is to contradict God.

Yes, there were giants on earth after the Flood, and we are not told about how they came to be giants. It could have simply been a genetic aberration. Evidently it is a rare hormonal disorder.

M

Miri

So if there were giants living amongst men before the 'flood' then how does one reconcile the scriptural accounts of giants after the flood, for example in 2 Sam 21:20 of “a man of great stature, that had on every hand six fingers, and on every foot six toes, four and twenty in number; and he also was born to the giant.”

I actually know someone who has 6 toes on one foot, it’s a birth defect.

His nickname is ET! (Extra toe!) He isn’t a giant though!

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
Agreed. Nobody survived the Flood except those in the Ark. To contradict that is to contradict God.
Not really, since the LORD brought the cloud, or rather the firmament, over the earth from the wates which covered the earth in Genesis 1:2, that would represent that there was no global flood of waters since it is written:
14 And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:​
15 And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. Gen 9:14-15​

The only contradiction is the contradiction is the claim that a global flood occurred after the cloud was brought over the earth.
"Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding,.." Job 38:4​

"When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it,.." Job 38:9​

Besides, it doesn't say that when man see the bow, but rather when the LORD in heaven above sees the bow.

And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth. Gen 9:16​

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
I actually know someone who has 6 toes on one foot, it’s a birth defect.

His nickname is ET! (Extra toe!) He isn’t a giant though!
They say it is a genetic condition called polydactyly. Yet I have not found any pictures which show an individual having both both the hands and feet with six digits each, not say they don't but it seems they would submit some type of photographic proof.

vic1980

Apr 25, 2013
They say it is a genetic condition called polydactyly. Yet I have not found any pictures which show an individual having both both the hands and feet with six digits each, not say they don't but it seems they would submit some type of photographic proof.
Boy With 6 Fingers And 6 Toes

Yet this young boy has this genetic condition , i cannot classify this as the giants written upon in scripture.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015

Your Gen 6:4 is incomplete.

Now the giants were upon the earth in those days; and after that when the sons of God were wont to go in to the daughters of men, they bore children to them, those were the giants of old, the men of renown.

So, your question is technically answered by a better reading.

There are several possibilities:

a) sons of God were again somehow influencing middle east after the flood - thats why Israel was commanded to kill them all without mercy.

b) willful cultivation, like some special clan being cultivated to be a clan of giant warriors for centuries.

c) some "random" genetic mutation in some clan making people to grow extraordinary big.

c) "giant" does not necessarily have to mean "giant body", it was quite a common term for somebody being excellent, powerful and famous (kings, rulers, famous warriors, half-gods etc).

E

eternally-gratefull

What makes a Giant?

DNA

DNA came through the flood in 8 people.

the DNA for a giant came with them

Eventually one was born, then others, and then you had what many would call giants.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Follow the lineage of Ham & his wife. It leads to the giants in Canaan. Also follow Noah's Gen 9:22 curse of Hams offspring Canaan & you'll wind up in Sodom & Gomorrah.

Sep 4, 2012

Why in your mind does there have to be an equivalency between giants before and after the flood?

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016

I don't think God's ability to make people short or tall ended with Noah's ark.

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
Boy With 6 Fingers And 6 Toes

Yet this young boy has this genetic condition , i cannot classify this as the giants written upon in scripture.
After reviewing the video, whil the boy appears to have seven digits on his right foot and six on his left, yet the images of his hands along with his feet lack the visual clarity to conclusively verify the digits on the hands. Not to mention some differences in the length of the fingers between the image in the frame with the hands and legs when compared with the images of the hands only.

1529042264789.png

Then again, the source of the youtube posting doesn't exactly vouch for it's authenticity either. However, another example is the two frame shots from the Guinness World Records video. In the top picture the man has seven digits on his right hand, but the frame below only shows six digits on the right hand. Of course, the photograph of the hands and feet below is another poor example of proof since it doesn't remove the possibility that the hands belong to one person and the feet to another.

1529044558127.png
But I do appreciate your posting since I did mention that I would see a person with six digits on both their hands and feet in the same picture.

While the lack of any visual evidence wouldn't prove that there aren't people with six digits on both hands and feet, but it is kinda being told that Clark Kent and Superman are two different persons yet there is no picture of them together, well except that one where Clark is standing next to superman but his head is turned so you can't see his face. :sneaky:

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015

Hello Zmouth,

The giants that are referred to in Genesis and also given in detail in Ethiopic Enoch, were 300 cubits tall. Even using the smallest cubit, that would put those giants over 400 ft. tall. It also goes on to say that all the labor of men was not enough to satisfy their need for food. Therefore, these were not 15 or 20 foot giants, but over 400 ft. giants who began to eat human beings, reptiles, fish birds, eating their flesh one after another.

P

pjharrison

The verse tell us that there were Giants in those days and also after that

W

whatev

How did freshwater fish survive the flood? There is much I don't understand how the flood worked. I simply believe there was a flood over the whole earth because God's word says there was.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
The verse tell us that there were Giants in those days and also after that
Hello pj,

According to Enoch's description of the offspring of the angels, the watchers of heaven, they were 300 cubits tall. The cubit was approx. 15 to 18 inches, i.e. a foot and a half. When we do the math, that puts their offspring at over 400 ft tall. The people that you are speaking about, such as Og king of Bashan and Goliath were just larger men and would not appear to belong to the offspring of the watchers.