How do I find the "way out" God says He provides when tempted?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Prognostic

Jan 5, 2018
God says that when we are tempted He will always provide a way out.

1 Corinthians 10:13
There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

So when you are being tempted to sin, there is meant to be always a way out so you can get through the night and survive until the morning victorious!

When you are tempted to sin what is your way out?

How can one find their "way out" that God provides?

K

Karraster

Psalm 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

Hi Prognostic, what works for me it to stay in the Word. To put myself right there in those pages...you can do it it's like you are right there. Job gives a vivid picture of creation, in the garden in the cool of the day our Lord walking...to spend time with us. Wandering in the desert 40 years, with the same people! Every day, and you know some of those guys were complainers, murmuring constantly, ungrateful. It could not have been easy.

I've wandered in the desert many years it seems, trying to be what a Christian is supposed to be, struggling. Then He led me to Sabbath, and has really opened my eyes and ears. Jesus healed on the Sabbath, He still does and He healed me. Why not get on your knees and ask Him. He will lead you in the way you should go.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

So when you are being tempted to sin, there is meant to be always a way out so you can get through the night and survive until the morning victorious!

First let me say that I am not always successful in beating a temptation, but when I am it is because I apply the Word.

2 Corinthians 10
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not [a]carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, 6 and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.

Jesus has NEVER let me down when I don't push Him out of my thoughts during temptation.

Feb 28, 2016
our way 'out' will be in acknowledging that we have a personal choice,
and having the knowledge of the choices that Jesus has given to us -
He's very clear about what He expects of us and His road-map is
available for all to read and obey...

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
I agree with everyone here, I would just add that we need to acknowledge in ourselves that it is not "me" that changes me, it ALL comes from Him. He is the one that blessed us with repentance, He is the one that reached down to give our spirit life, by His grace, through faith in Jesus and reconciled us to Himself, giving our dead spirit life and indwelling us with His Spirit, making us whole again with our Creator as we were created to be. At peace with our magnificent God praise Jesus name!!!:D

Once we are "born again", and our eyes are opened we start our walk with Him. As we seek Him, as He draws us closer, He empowers us in resisting these things, seeing the true wickedness I n them, seeing why and how these things we loved and practiced so much leads to death. I would have to say this walk involves much of what everyone mentioned here so far. We stay in His word, we pray to Him, I find it best first thing in the morning early before the world gets loud, under His stars, just taking time to think and talk to Him. All these things are part of the kingdom of God. Just keep doing what you're doing and seeking His will, His is the only WAY we have to escape our temptations, but understand it is a walk.

I didn't want to make this too long, but want to share this to make a point, and maybe even as a bit of confessing sins I'm working on. It's really been made clear to me lately, more than usual even though I've always hated being this way. The thing I struggle with so bad is anger towards my sons as the way I deal with misbehavior. I also have been blessed with 2 very difficult boys, as far as the parent child relationship. My oldest was disobedient at school as well, but my youngest is well behaved at school, just hard at home towards us when things don't go his way. Of course since I was reborn things have been getting better, as far as my attitude, but I still fall so short it shames me every time I thing about when I lose it and start yelling at them. I get so angry, I mean so mad that I have to walk away, and I can just sit there and been so dag mad at them. The I read where Jesus tells us that if we are even angry with a brother we have already murdered them in our heart, and I think about what that says about my heart that angry at my own sons. Then I think about how grateful I am that our Father doesn't feel that way about me, or deal with me the same way I do them at times. The difference is I care now, I see the wickedness in it and I do not want to be that way, He empowers me to make changes to my perspective and behaviors.

It's a work in progress, but there is progress. Yes when I do these things I feel guilt, I feel shame, I feel I was wrong, because I WAS, but I do not let it paralyze me, I do not let it stop me from going right to Him thanking Him for His goodness and lessons, and move forward knowing I can trust our Lord that He will grow me through these things.

K

Karraster

I agree with everyone here, I would just add that we need to acknowledge in ourselves that it is not "me" that changes me, it ALL comes from Him. He is the one that blessed us with repentance, He is the one that reached down to give our spirit life, by His grace, through faith in Jesus and reconciled us to Himself, giving our dead spirit life and indwelling us with His Spirit, making us whole again with our Creator as we were created to be. At peace with our magnificent God praise Jesus name!!!:D

Once we are "born again", and our eyes are opened we start our walk with Him. As we seek Him, as He draws us closer, He empowers us in resisting these things, seeing the true wickedness I n them, seeing why and how these things we loved and practiced so much leads to death. I would have to say this walk involves much of what everyone mentioned here so far. We stay in His word, we pray to Him, I find it best first thing in the morning early before the world gets loud, under His stars, just taking time to think and talk to Him. All these things are part of the kingdom of God. Just keep doing what you're doing and seeking His will, His is the only WAY we have to escape our temptations, but understand it is a walk.

I didn't want to make this too long, but want to share this to make a point, and maybe even as a bit of confessing sins I'm working on. It's really been made clear to me lately, more than usual even though I've always hated being this way. The thing I struggle with so bad is anger towards my sons as the way I deal with misbehavior. I also have been blessed with 2 very difficult boys, as far as the parent child relationship. My oldest was disobedient at school as well, but my youngest is well behaved at school, just hard at home towards us when things don't go his way. Of course since I was reborn things have been getting better, as far as my attitude, but I still fall so short it shames me every time I thing about when I lose it and start yelling at them. I get so angry, I mean so mad that I have to walk away, and I can just sit there and been so dag mad at them. The I read where Jesus tells us that if we are even angry with a brother we have already murdered them in our heart, and I think about what that says about my heart that angry at my own sons. Then I think about how grateful I am that our Father doesn't feel that way about me, or deal with me the same way I do them at times. The difference is I care now, I see the wickedness in it and I do not want to be that way, He empowers me to make changes to my perspective and behaviors.

It's a work in progress, but there is progress. Yes when I do these things I feel guilt, I feel shame, I feel I was wrong, because I WAS, but I do not let it paralyze me, I do not let it stop me from going right to Him thanking Him for His goodness and lessons, and move forward knowing I can trust our Lord that He will grow me through these things.
Hi Jim, your post is so down to earth and real. It takes me back and I certainly relate. My son was also quite the challenge. I used to keep a saying on the wall where I could see it often. It read, "Treat a child as though he already is the person he's capable of becoming." ~Haim Ginott

Remembering that helped me in a very profound way, can't really articulate, except to say possibly planted the word "respect"? Somehow it caused me to think often, that someday he would grow out of the phase he was in at the time, That some day he would be all grown up, and how would he remember me? In spite of all my mistakes, my son sings my praises. It is all God's doing.

God bless you and yours.

TamLynn

A heart at rest
Nov 27, 2014
Sometimes our 'way out', is by planning ahead.
Being careful not to put yourself in a position that might tempt you in a way you've been tempted before.
This might mean avoiding places, people, situations etc.

Feb 28, 2016
such good advice here for a Brother, thank you all for showing such empathy and kindness,
your words lifted my heart -

so true TamLynn, when we recognize the patterns of past behaviours, then we have the
ability to make great strides in changing the out-comes from the knowledge of those past mistakes...

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
God is creative, personal, and specific. The "way out" may come in many different forms; there is no single answer. For me, it has come in the form of a phone call or knock at the door, a reminder of His love for me or His judgment on sin, a memory of the shame I felt in a previous similar situation, a particular topic in a book, or even a certain word that someone offhandedly mentions.

How to find it? If you're being tempted, and you're seeking a way out, ask Him!

Sep 24, 2018

You're not being tempted by cheesecake at bed time are you?

The seriousness of sin in your mind will only create anxiety, and the anxiety will cause you to sin more. Stop being so concerned of sin & sinful desires, you'll become obsessed with trying to escape and fall deeper into sinful behavior.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
You're not being tempted by cheesecake at bed time are you?

The seriousness of sin in your mind will only create anxiety, and the anxiety will cause you to sin more. Stop being so concerned of sin & sinful desires, you'll become obsessed with trying to escape and fall deeper into sinful behavior.
I would like to add a little bit to this point, and to me at least, when I am shown I'm sinning it leads me to my knees in repentance, and guides me closer to Him, then He empowers me to overcome that sin. That said, and I want to add that I agree with your point, we should not dwell on it letting the guilt paralyze us into no action. If the realization of your sin is not bringing you closer to Him, if it is not working in you to purify you, to let His Spirit, His word to guide you closer to Himself, and it is consuming you, and pushing you into a dark place where you are far from Him, then I would really have to reevaluate where that is coming from.

I do not think we should ignore sin, especially when God is really making it apparent to us, but do agree we shouldn't be in a state of guilt paralyses, unless this is when God is leading you to repentance. God may be making one's sin so overwhelmingly clear to them, so that it leads them to repentance. As someone who though I was a Christian for years before He saved me, and I repeated the prayer, was dunked under water, and proclaimed "saved", but knew Him not. When I did hit my knees I was not seeking God or Jesus, I thought I already knew what all that was, when I hit my knees I hit them in complete and utter defeat, knowing "my way" was futile and I could do NOTHING to fix it.

I only mention this because I think we should be sensitive to where these things may be coming from, and as much as we hate pain and suffering.

In Rom 8:28 Paul tells us, "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose".

I personally know that sitting in the midst of the storm it is hard (I say impossible outside of Jesus) to see how these things are going to teach us, how our sufferings actually built us up and point us to Him, our mighty and loving, just, and merciful God. I just wanted to testify that God even uses the hardships "for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose".

I completely understand what you meant here, and I truly hope I didn't come across like I was "correcting" or "teaching" you anything you don't already have in your heart. I just wanted to share a bit of my perspective as well to expand on the whole concept, but I can't make clear enough that I do agree with your main point about not focusing on, and/or being overwhelmed by guilt to the point is has the effect of pushing you from Him.

Mar 23, 2016
1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

I believe the way to escape is in God not allowing us to be tempted above our ability to endure and also God working within us so that we are able to endure the temptation.

As long as we live on this earth, we will be tempted. God limits the temptation according to our ability to endure.

God also makes a way to escape so that we are able to bear it.

The words "bear it" are the Greek word hupopheró (from hypó — under and phérō "bear, carry” (like an under-current of a river carrying someone away; to endure because carried safely away from danger.

In 1 Peter 5:6-10 we read about our adversary who walks about as a roaring lion seeking to devour us (vs 8). As we resist steadfast in faith (vs 9), God works within us to perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle us (vs 10).

Sometimes, that is the escape — God working within us as He perfects us, establishes us, strengthens us, and settles us — so that we are able to endure the temptations we face without falling.

There's another verse — James 4:7-8 which says Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you.

So just know in your heart that you are never alone in your temptation, that God is working within you to perfect, establish, strengthen, settle you so that you are able to endure the temptations of this life without falling captive. Stand strong, hold to God and He will hold to you. Resist the devil and he will flee.

glf1

Jun 10, 2018
Hey! Prognostic... PTL!

Rom 8:6 "The mind set upon the flesh is death, but the mind set upon the Spirit is life and peace."

Jn 6: 63 "It is the Spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are Spirit, and they are life."

2 Cor 10: 1-3 "For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds; casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bring every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ."

Rather than setting your mind upon the object of the temptation or trying to keep yourself from thinking about it; set your mind upon the Lord's word. Have some memorized scriptures ready to focus on and thereby cast down (evil) imaginations, and every high temptation that exalts itself against the knowledge of Christ, and bring every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

Also, the tempter knows in a way that we never will while we're in these mortal bodies of flesh and blood, what its like to have the Lord inhabit the praises of his people. So imagine the throne room of New Jerusalem and focus upon the Father who dwells in unapproachable light and offer up the sacrifices of praise and worship. The evil one tempting, will be tormented by the presence of the Lord and will remember that he was supposed to be elsewhere and depart post haste.

Add to the above suggestion, the preparation of fertile soil of a soul that draws near to the Lord by daily devotions in the scriptures, so that the Holy Spirit can minister the New Covenant by writing the Lord's laws and commands into your heart and mind, which is what makes the New Covenant different that the Old Covenant. Make a short prayer list, of family, friends, and those whom the Lord might put upon your heart to offer up the Lord during your daily devotions.

The Lord set your eyes upon Jesus, lifted up in the power of his loving sacrifice and share his heart with you, comforting you with his presence forever. The Lord forgive you and give you life. The Lord take your eyes from the failings of the past and set you to the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Father, full of love and life, make your word to be the power of your might to prognostic's heart and mind and use it to minister hope. Give prognostic a vision and make known the way to achieve it. In Jesus' holy name. Amen.

Maranatha!

Sep 3, 2016
The sin nature has been separated, not eliminated in a Christian life. This evil nature is always present in our current bodies. Victory only comes by Faith in Christ and the Cross. We must acknowledge that we need the GRACE of God to overcome the sins we repeat. The operation of the Holy Spirit is accomplished through Faith and Grace.

Every failure in a Christian life is caused by us resulting to the flesh and trying to do what needs to be done by the means of the flesh, which is guaranteed to fail. When the Believer attempts to function outside of the Cross, the situation becomes impossible. Sin and failure are the constant results, no matter how hard one may try otherwise.

memyselfi

Jan 12, 2017
The truth is G-d's way is simple…. First bring my thought captive to the Word of G-d. Start praising Him... out loud with my mouth to shut my brain up. FALL ON MY KNEES AND PRAY!!!! GET MY BIBLE, READ, READ and KEEP READING!!!!! ALWAYS WORKS, HE IS MY OUT!!!!

When does this not work? When I don't do it because I WANT TO DO THE SIN MORE THAN I DO NOT WANT TO SIN!!!! Which said to say but is sometimes true.

A dead dog does not hunt, but I have to KILL that dog... MY FLESH!!!