How do I lose my SALVATION?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

obedienttogod

Jan 3, 2019
I am not teaching a license to sin, So please lets get off this thinking

I teach it is IMPOSSIBLE for a child of God to live in sin, He will sin, But he will also recieve Gods chastening. He is also a new creation in Christ jesus, Sin is like poison to that new creation. So under no circumstance can a true child of God live in sin..

You will not see a true believer say they can go out and sin all they want. You will here a non believer say they can, and you will also here a legalists say they as long as they do not commit these sins they are ok, or they can lose salvation because they failed to maintain it.

Then we agree on this subject!

obedienttogod

Jan 3, 2019
There is a difference between intentionally sinning because of God's grace, and sinning whilst depending upon God's grace (delivered via the blood of Christ). Christians still sin in this life, and for this reason was Christ made High Priest, as our mediator between God and man. 1 John 2 speaks to this, that if a man sins we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. The propitiation for our sins.

If someone seeing God's grace understands this to mean that we may sin all that we want, they have misunderstood the Gospel and sanctification. Do not be fooled, God's grace is sufficient, but it is not a license to sin for truly that license is found outside of Christ with due penalty. The liberty and freedom within Christ is not to the enslavement of sin, but to use our members, our bodies, for righteousness unto God. Sin shall not have dominion over us under grace.

Amen!

I like how you put this!

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
It would appear that you do not really understand what salvation means or entails.

So for you it is back to the drawing board, or back to square one.
Nice how you talk to your brothers ans sisters.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
I think it talks about the born again Christians. As ''the faith'' and people falling away from it maybe due to not being able to withstand the enemy and give in to doctrines of demons. Can have many reasons. But its just my opinion
See hebrews 6
4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened,who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age 6 and who have fallen[c] away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

I believe these are the people who are blotted out of the book of life
I know exactly what you mean, I have felt the same way about these same verses too, in a sense I still agree with you,(well I guess I would only be agreeing with what God said really:p) it's only they have to be squared with the other verses that say "I will lose none the Father has given me", "those that went from us, were never of us", then the many that say "Lord, Lord", that He says He never knew.

Here are a few more

Hebrews 7:25
Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.

John 10:29
"My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.

I understand this one is really speaking of others being able to "take us" from Him, but I still think it speaks strongly to the point. And Romans 8:38-39 says the same-

For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Ephesians 4:30
Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

But then we also have the parable of the seeds sown on different soils, where all the seeds first truly reborn before they burnt up or where choked out? I honestly don't know, but what I do testify to is the power of God to change men (and women of course, I meant "mankind") and to be honest, like most debate the truth is somewhere in between. I do understand what you mean and have feel He has really just expanded my understanding of these thing more than changed them, but I do believe 100% for certain that once we are reborn, as in spiritually resurrected and reconciled to His Spirit, He will complete the good work He started within us, I believe He consistently tells us this throughout the whole bible, and I trust Him to. However just to be clear, I'm not talking about repeating a prayer and then having a pass to follow the flesh at all, I am talking about a true rebirth in the Spirit. That said I do believe He gives us clear warnings like those you've listed, especially Hebrews 6, but it says those who have "tasted" twice, it also says have "shared" in the Spirit amongst believers, so I'm not positive this speaks of one who has been truly reborn, but that's merely my opinion. Anyway point is I agree while we are still on this earth we should take care to avoid these things, especially as Christians and strive to do what pleases the Father.:)

I really have enjoyed this conversation, I rarely post much anymore because I honestly hate how much communication we lose with just text, and how much that promotes faceless debate.:cautious: I want to speak face to face, not even on video chat, face to face, but this exchange has shown me there is still much to share through text as well. I pray you and your family have a GREAT new year, and may God draw you all ever closer every single day. :D

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Billy Graham said "There is a Heaven...........and I am going there". This statement illustrates something beyond the hope of salvation. He did not hope he was going to Heaven............he knew.
As Christians, we may stray from the path of righteousness, but the Good Shepherd will always call us back to the fold. But when we stop listening to His call, we become prey for wolves. Without Jesus, we have lost our way. Deny Him and salvation is lost, and, as "true" Christians we will know when we have lost it.
Those that Christ died for, he said in John 6:39, that he would lose none, but raise them up at the last day. Those he died for are saved eternally and cannot lose their eternal salvation.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
If we leave Jesus and turn from him we loose salvation. Being of this world again.
He will blot our name out if we leavw him, if we stay we are kept
Revelation 3:5 King James Version (KJV)
5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
Verse 6 tells us who overcometh, which are those who have ears to hear. Those that have not been regenerated do not have ears to hear the things of the Spirit (1 Cor 2:14). All of God's elect will persevere.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
"So why do people think G-d wants to send saved people to Hell an long with the people that rejected Him?
This has never made sense to me...
How do I lose my SALVATION? "

I think there are two parts to this question:
1) I'm unsure where you got the notion of God wanting send saved people to Hell, this seems like Catholicism (i.e. purgatory) to me.
2)The phrasing of the question seems strange to me, i.e. do you want to lose your salvation? My initial thought was why would you want to lose your salvation?

I think we see God as too small if we say that we can reject him, rather the question should be - Can God lose a Christian? The Book of Hebrews discusses this in particular Heb 6 regarding those who have a limited experience of life as a Christian but then later on reject God.

"4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age 6 and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace."

The rejection is so serious that it is equal to nailing and shaming Christ on the cross all over again. Yet the author gives this as a warning and encourages to strive with all our might to ensure that we do enter the Kingdom.
The kingdom of God is the church that Jesus set up. Once a person by regeneration has been revealed the truth of the doctrine that Jesus taught and have rejected the church and turned away (I have seen this happen with preachers who turn away and preach another doctrine for the love of a bigger salary) and when they do it is impossible for them to repent and come back to the church. They do not lose their eternal salvation, but they do lose their fellowship with God.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The kingdom of God is the church that Jesus set up. Once a person by regeneration has been revealed the truth of the doctrine that Jesus taught and have rejected the church and turned away (I have seen this happen with preachers who turn away and preach another doctrine for the love of a bigger salary) and when they do it is impossible for them to repent and come back to the church. They do not lose their eternal salvation, but they do lose their fellowship with God.
Doesnt Jesus say unless they repent he wont have anything to do with them, and if they are not hot or cold but lukewarm he will spit them out of his mouth? In Revelation.

But then Jesus is interceeding all the time, remember how he prayed for his twelve disciples except the son of perdition, who turned out to be Judas. He was lost. You could argue that Judas never truly believed in the first place, so it was really no loss.

E

eternally-gratefull

I didn't introduce the Pharisees, you did. I never said they were saved or not. I'm staying with the text that I brought up. Something Penned couldn't do. You responded. You jumped in, no problem, but Im not going to be side railed from the text...2 Peter 2.
I brought up the pharisees as a counter to your argument, and you did not prove me wrong.
Back to 2 Peter 2. 20.
How did they escape?
Peter answers it, THROUGH THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST.
They had knowledge. They had escaped the pollution. But they went back to the pollution.
Lets use the example peter used, the Sow was cleaned, this is what is meant by escaping the pollution, made clean, but what happns to the Sow? He is a Sow, what do they do, they “wallow in the mire” because this is their nature.

If they were born again and no longer a Sow, they would have not went back to the mud to wallow in it and again become unclean.

Peter says about that knowledge...it pertains to life and godliness, 1.3.
But you say they didn't have life and godliness.
But Peter says, they had the knowledge. They had escaped...they had the life and godliness, then they went back.

The bible is clear.

(I will respond to your knowledge and Pharisees. I know as a collective body or group, the Pharisees were condemned. But you are assuming NONE, not a single one, ever obeyed or believed. Paul was a Pharisee, he had knowledge, he was saved.)
Paul was saved because he stopped being a phariee, and repented in faith, he was changed,

Th fact is the pharisee knew the word, they had knowledge, by this knowledge they were not like the gentile.

As for being side tracked, again, soften your attitude, you will not last long with a cocky attitude. Most people will stop listening to you if you keep that up

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
There are genuine Christians and there are "nominal" Christians.
There are genuine believers and there are make believers.
"... make believers", that's a good one. Thanks.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
But there are people who,, for whatever reason,, come to the point of no longer believing the Gospel and no longer trusting in the Atonement of Jesus..
I don't believe that we can lose our salvation as an act of our own free will.
Jesus will leave the ninety-nine to search for the one.
Only he can decide if he will not bring you back.
Lost sheep are carried home. Baaa…

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
If we have actually misunderstood Paul and distorted his message, then we have misunderstood that we have guaranteed salvation. I am not saying we are losing our salvation, I am saying if we misunderstood the message, maybe we misunderstood we can sin as much as we want and still have a guarantee.
I think the only misunderstanding here is what Peter was saying.
We understand Paul just fine.

memyselfi

Jan 12, 2017
Billy Graham said "There is a Heaven...........and I am going there". This statement illustrates something beyond the hope of salvation. He did not hope he was going to Heaven............he knew.
As Christians, we may stray from the path of righteousness, but the Good Shepherd will always call us back to the fold. But when we stop listening to His call, we become prey for wolves. Without Jesus, we have lost our way. Deny Him and salvation is lost, and, as "true" Christians we will know when we have lost it.
Can a real born again Christian deny Him?

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
If this is towards me, I am asking these questions because of these 2 verses.

2 Peter 3:
Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him.

16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Peter claims we are distorting the message of Paul, maybe even his Grace message, and he continues warning it will bring destruction. If we have eternal salvation by understanding Paul's message, why is Peter claiming we could be distorting that message for our own desire which will actually bring us destruction, not eternal salvation?
He said, “ignorant & unstable” distort Paul’s message, unless you are in this class I don’t think you should worry.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
There are many in this class, unfortunately....
I’m thinking you may be right! I’ve often told folks, “it didn’t take me but 40 years to figure out what little I know about God.” So I guess that should lead to more patience.

Seems in Scripture when one generation figured it out, relied on God and we’re blessed, somehow the next would blow it. Maybe if we don’t seriously model & teach those behind us, we and they are in trouble.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
I’ve seen many people use the book of James to say one can loose their salvation. I think a serious in depth study of James will show that he is contrasting real faith to false faith, pretenders or religious folk, if you will.