How do we answer the questions & statements that test our faith?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
How do we believers answer the many, many questions presented by skeptics, agnostics and non-believers? For the sake of fellowship in our beliefs, I hope to share with fellow Christians our beliefs and reasons for them even when we’re challenged by the really tough questions that come from others.

An atheist once told me why he didn’t believe in a God was because he “never could see any rational reason why a God who could do anything would put humanity through this life we experience on earth when we know where it ends.” “What’s the plan and why?” “It all seems a useless waste of time and energy!”

How would you answer such questions and statements?
“Put humanity through this life”
Words spoken by an empty shell of a human being who fails to behold the beauty and majesty of this life.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
An atheist once told me why he didn’t believe in a God was because he “never could see any rational reason why a God who could do anything would put humanity through this life we experience on earth when we know where it ends.” “What’s the plan and why?” “It all seems a useless waste of time and energy!”
my cat sees no reason why i should leave the house for 8 or 10 hours, 5 days a week.
if my cat doesn't believe in employment does my job not exist?

the person who told you that doesn't have a rational reason to believe there is no God. all he has said is that he lacks understanding and that in his dim understanding, he doesn't like what he knows of God. that person's response to his own lack of knowledge is to trust his ignorance and pitch a fit, giving God the cold shoulder out of spite.

other people's lack of wisdom is not challenging to my faith.

P

pottersclay

Between all 4 gospels 41 times Jesus walked away, they walked away, Jesus escaped. Some people are toxic. Jesus avoided them.
Agnostic, atheist, religious people tend to be toxic. They do not tend to seek the truth but tend to defend there beliefs.
Jesus said he came to set the captives free, he came for the lost, he came for the broken, he came for the poor in spirit.
Remember this as you preach and teach and let the Holy Spirit take control.
Sometimes it's better to walk away than argue with a fool.
As many as said here before, just speak the truth in love, God takes it from there.

Heyjude

Sep 7, 2019
“never could see any rational reason why a God who could do anything would put humanity through this life we experience on earth when we know where it ends.” “What’s the plan and why?” “It all seems a useless waste of time and energy!”
If someone said that to me, I think I would probably say.

"When we know where it ends? How do you know where it ends or even if it does really end? You cannot prove that either? Its not even logic to claim such a thing and if you think it ends, what if you are wrong? You gamble through lack of knowledge as even if you don't believe, and you say its a useless waste of time and energy, explain what time and energy is then if you know so much?" You cannot even prove to me you can think nor can any man, but that doesn't mean to say a man does not think? Most real things are invisible and as Voltaire once said,

"It is better to believe in God than not believe. If there is one, you are alright, if there isn't one, it doesn't matter anyway".

That seems more logic that any argument and rational anyone puts forward. I also say, test anyone who disputes God with what they think of the Bible and I can guarantee that haven't read it. They are like a man claiming to know Shakespeare when they haven't even read one word or done one nanosecond of research.

Some need to be confounded with their own ignorance as they wave the same flags and words around, proving that they really have second hand information and haven't done one iota of research on the Bible or Creation and just are influenced by the last person they talked to. It doesn't make me doubt my faith - as all these people say the same mantras, same sentences and same old phrases so they should have a response to their own claims of disbelief and why.. I also say God is the Father. So I ask them, do you think its right to blame a father for his children's actions? If they have children, they know this is ridiculous. Yet they blame God for "putting humanity through this" just like a kid blames his parents.

I guarantee you, if you got a bible out, told them to put their hand on it and denounce God forever and Jesus Christ, they would go a funny colour and remain silent. If they do it willingly, I guess they will die and learn. God forbid.

John 3:17
For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.

L

Locoponydirtman

As has been said on here there are about 20 questions that invariably pop up when skeptics and atheists question our beliefs. Those question are answered by apologists over and over.
It would be great if some one would write a resource book like a study guide, that gave the typical questions and then gave the scripture references related to the questions.

Dec 13, 2019
How do we believers answer the many, many questions presented by skeptics, agnostics and non-believers? For the sake of fellowship in our beliefs, I hope to share with fellow Christians our beliefs and reasons for them even when we’re challenged by the really tough questions that come from others.

How would you answer such questions and statements?
Use the methods of the apologists. My intuitive response to those questions is to nail down the historicity of Jesus' resurrection.

1: the NT is the most reliable book from the ancient world. The biggest hurdle in accepting its truth, is that it contains miracles.
2: If God exists, of course He could perform miracles. Need powerful arguments for God's existence? See Leibniz's cosmological argument, for one among many.
3: The disciples of Jesus (I think most of them) died as martyrs, never once changing their confession that they saw the raised Jesus? Would they willingly die for a lie? The only real motivations there are three: power; status; sex/relationships. None of them achieved this. So why lie?
4: Many successful murder trials see a person convicted WITHOUT direct evidence; the jury gives a verdict beyond a reasonable doubt, EVEN THOUGH there's no direct evidence that person actually committed the act. If we challenge ourselves to give a verdict of "risen" or "not risen", it's tough to reasonably and confidently arrive at "not risen". If we decide it's "inconclusive", then we're stuck explaining the resurrection event somehow.

If we conclude that we can trust Jesus, then we can trust God's overall plan. We can trust divine providence.

Again, the biggest hurdle is a bias against the supernatural.

Quick way to judge a situation: ask them, "If Christianity WERE true, would you be a Christian?" Surprisingly some say no. But the honest truth-seeker will say yes.

The world is the best way it can be in order for God's creatures to go to him, which is the ultimate goal.
See the YouTube channel ReasonableFaith for brilliant philosopher William Lane Craig's approaches.

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
The atheist is starting from a perception and belief of "God does not exist" which would make it impossible for them to acknowledge God having any reason to do anything. In assuming to know where it ends (presumably they mean death, which is not the end at all), they reject the notion of an afterlife, also, and anything spiritual since such things cannot be quantifiably measured according to their standards, which, if you talk to them enough, you will find wildly inconsistent (their standards). They will speak of empirical evidence while overlooking that the primary definition of such specifically defines it as being based on or guided by experience, without the scientific method... and then they will reject anyone who claims to have any such experience, because they have not had such experiences. It comes down to whom they accept as an authority, and we know they are blinded by the pride of life, though they cannot see that, either.
Well-said. :)

M

morefaithrequired

Everything will be clear once you believe on the Lord Jesus Christ
so miraculously everything will make sense? no more doubt......……….. Im finding that assertion hard to swallow actually. I suspect it is false.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
so miraculously everything will make sense? no more doubt......……….. Im finding that assertion hard to swallow actually. I suspect it is false.
I did not say *miraculously*, but it would be more accurate to say *supernaturally* by the power of the Holy Spirit. And if you think this is false, take some time to carefully study the Holy Spirit in the New Testament. Invest in Nave's Topical Bible (KJV) and that will be a tremendous help.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
I would not and try to answer this on my own accord( I have tired that) but rather by the grace and abundance of the Holy Spirit.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Not everything will be made clear, but it will be better understand. We can only comprehend what God allows us to. More will be shown as we grow in our faith and Lord.