How do we describe our "Conversion?"

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A dream, I was taken into outer space, flying around the stars 🌟 ✨, beautiful sky....previously people told me about Jesus, reading Bible, praying for 2 years or so.

That dream made me decide to accept Jesus and get baptized.
 
  • Like
Reactions: TheLordIsMyRedeemer
It has been my experience over the past 6+ decades that when I hear a person talk about their conversion, it essentially means one of two things.
1. They were born into a church going family and it was expected they would join the church via a "conversion experience" and the net sum of that experience is that they had to accept all the theology and dogmas that set their church aparate from other christian churches. Thus it was in fact just the process for gaining admission to and the approval of the group. Importantly it often comes with a lifelong need to defend every dogma, creed or statement of faith because my personal sense of salvation is rooted in them. I can't change my beliefs without threatening "my salvation."

2. A person faced a life changing event that destabilized them emotionally and they found themselves emotionally and experientially unprepared. This creates a perception of an unfilled need and a recognition that your personal resources are inadequate. Turning to religion appeared to offer a means of dealing with it and finding peace about it.

Personally, I am in group 1. I was baptised at age 12 of my own "choice" although there were lots of subtle and non-subtle hints and "bible discussions" that flourished in our house then that later moved toward zero. I have never regretted that event or that process, but it took me decades to realize how inadequate that relying on that "event" was. The major "discovery" of my adult years is that conversion, at least for me, is a life-long journey. That's because my original conception of salvation was that it was an "event." What I then called "faith" was only in beliefs I was taught.

I have come to realize that conversion a process of spiritual grown and significant behavioral surrender. While my mind has remained "converted" based on youthful beliefs, my being born again and walking a "new life" is a continuous process and one that has motivated me to seek an emotional and a physical closeness to the the day to day will of God in my life.
I went down front at an early age and prayed the prayer, got saved and baptized, etc. Then I had a spiritual encounter later on at school. Through a series of events I ended up receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit.