How do we know God is good

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 29, 2019
God instructed Job to look at nature. The creatures of His design. The wonders of the cosmos. The author of this thread is either blind or has ulterior motives to ask this.
In Colossians Christ is said to be the author of this marvelous creation. He is the master behind the masterpiece. This only scratches the surface of what we can see and experience daily without any theological guide. Come on. The gift of life alone comes from His goodness.
Where is the disconnect?
Keeping it civil.

I was only making the point that looking at nature as an example of God's work, while wonderful for a Christian, would not be of much help to a non-believer - after all, atheists also think nature is wonderful. As an example, David Attenborough was once asked 'has studying nature all these years given you a sense of God?' (or something similar); and he responded something like, 'how can I believe in a God that creates a being that lives inside the eye and which sole purpose makes the host blind'. In this modern era of science, nature alone is not going to convince anyone about God.

Also, we have all heard the line, "how can a God, who is supposed to be good, allow..."? We christians understand the reasons for this (ie. that it is because of sin, and that God has a bigger picture in view than what we humans may think is right), but it is a valid question to a non-believer. I assume it is in a similar vain that the thread's question was even asked, 'how do we know God is good'.

So I offered an alternative, to learn the character of God by what he tells us he does like (eg. generosity, love, patience, kindness) and what he doesn't (eg. selfishness, greed, dishonesty, lying, exploitation).

I hope this helps clear it up.

May 30, 2019
Keeping it civil.

I was only making the point that looking at nature as an example of God's work, while wonderful for a Christian, would not be of much help to a non-believer - after all, atheists also think nature is wonderful. As an example, David Attenborough was once asked 'has studying nature all these years given you a sense of God?' (or something similar); and he responded something like, 'how can I believe in a God that creates a being that lives inside the eye and which sole purpose makes the host blind'. In this modern era of science, nature alone is not going to convince anyone about God.

Also, we have all heard the line, "how can a God, who is supposed to be good, allow..."? We christians understand the reasons for this (ie. that it is because of sin, and that God has a bigger picture in view than what we humans may think is right), but it is a valid question to a non-believer. I assume it is in a similar vain that the thread's question was even asked, 'how do we know God is good'.

So I offered an alternative, to learn the character of God by what he tells us he does like (eg. generosity, love, patience, kindness) and what he doesn't (eg. selfishness, greed, dishonesty, lying, exploitation).

I hope this helps clear it up.[/QUOTE

My question about sincerity originates from the authors post. The question of whether God is good is elementary as a believer (know the LORD that He is good Ps.) For apologetics, the Q is very appropriate. Self proclaimed atheists that I’ve spoken to use the position of the cycle of life in nature, atmosphere, cosmos etc. Atheists in academia rely on ancient mythology as their premise, as in the young CS Lewis.
Unless I misunderstood, this author was asking, as a believer, about the truth & reliability of Gods goodness. (Obviously any apologists would know the necessity of presenting a winsome tribute to gods manifold goodness)

S

Stranger36147

Like what if he is bad like in the avengers movie where Thanos is bad and has all this power. How do we know God is good?
No one knows that God is good, but they have faith that He is.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
Jesus said He was good, that’s enough for me!

And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

Mar 28, 2016
Jesus said He was good, that’s enough for me!

And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.
"Good" is the unseen Holy place of God's glory .The word good describes him not seen .And he saw that it the work of his faith or plan, was good by the things made and it was day one.They witness again to him not seen.

Its like he told the Israelites in Egypt. When I see the blood. Blood used to represent the unseen spirit. Not when we see it.

Exodus 12:13 And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
All righteousness resides in God, so in that respect, God is good.. But I reckon it all depends on what side of the fence your on? God intends to pour His Cup of Wrath out in judgement, so I imagine if your on the receiving end of that, you won't consider God to be very nice. I often think of all the innocent animals that were sacrificed too, I don't think a lot of those lambs would think God was very good when they got their throats cut? :). Not to mention all the animals that drowned in the flood, what did they do to deserve that? I trust there is a greater purpose for God to allow suffering, but from a human standpoint, God can be cruel too. Perhaps in the long run, you need to be bad in order to be good?

Mar 28, 2016
All righteousness resides in God, so in that respect, God is good.. But I reckon it all depends on what side of the fence your on? God intends to pour His Cup of Wrath out in judgement, so I imagine if your on the receiving end of that, you won't consider God to be very nice. I often think of all the innocent animals that were sacrificed too, I don't think a lot of those lambs would think God was very good when they got their throats cut? :). Not to mention all the animals that drowned in the flood, what did they do to deserve that? I trust there is a greater purpose for God to allow suffering, but from a human standpoint, God can be cruel too. Perhaps in the long run, you need to be bad in order to be good?
It would seem in order to be good you must bee good. God's name which is Jealous will not share that glory with the things made. Only God not seen is good. Even the Son of man, Jesus refused to stand in the holy place and desecrate the unseen glory of the father.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
No one knows that God is good, but they have faith that He is.
I know God is good because of the cross. It testifies to His love and desire to resolve sin in others,
to bring us to himself, to fill us full of His love and grace. That is the essence of what it means to be good.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
Just as there is “relative” righteousness, there is relative good. When speaking about “absolutes,” one must head straight to a God, to find that.

Mar 29, 2019
Ah, my mistake, Father123. When you said 'the author is blind..', I thought you were referring to me because it was as a response to my post.
All good.
R.

May 30, 2019
Ah, my mistake, Father123. When you said 'the author is blind..', I thought you were referring to me because it was as a response to my post.
All good.
R.
😎 it’s all good. Thank you

theanointedwinner

Nov 6, 2018
Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:7-8)

May 30, 2019
All good.
R.
I’m not a paying subscriber so I can’t initiate a conversation. I enjoy your post brother!!
I’m in need of a few pointers on how to post and respond to this forum. The app seemed appealing at first; iron sharpens iron. However there’s difficulty on my end on following a thread. Of course responses come to my email but after a few...I can’t find the initial Q. I’m sure it’s a loose screw in front of the keyboard 😎🧐 help rodders2828