I'm trying to make a difficult decision and I want to make sure I'm doing what God wants me to do.. trouble is, I'm not one of those blessed people who seem to be able to hear God easily.. I will pray about something but always wonder if was my rational mind I'm responding to and not God.
How do you hear God and how do you know it's Him and not your own mind?
Very, very good question. In fact a while back I posted the same question on here (and other places), and asked some people personally.
God speaks to us through His Word. This is 100% certain. So every time you read the Bible, you're reading (or hearing) the very words of God.
You're asking specifically how to get an answer to a decision. From my experiences, God orchestrates everything. Every little thing. As for the decision, I believe that if you pray about it He will (again through circumstances) reveal the right decision to you so clearly that no other choice will seem to be to be an option.
I want to write on prayer specifically for a few lines, however.
Now, many books have come out called "How to hear the voice of God," or something of the like.
They all say the same thing: "God tells us that He has a still small voice. Listen for that still small voice, and you will hear Him."
People forget that we have the Bible, the Word of God. If you abide in Christ, fruits will abound with streams of living water out of you. You've heard Him if you're doing His will (those who love me will do what I command).
God gave us a mind as well. We can think on our own. Now, I'm not saying that God NEVER speaks to us in our heads (or even audibly), but I believe it to be very rare.
So, we hear God:
-Through circumstances
-Through the Bible
-Through his creation (Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge, Psalm 19:2)
-Through others
-(Sometimes) In our minds
-Always if we abide in Him
Grace and Love
(LOOK AT THIS LINK BELOW)
http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/taste-see-articles/the-morning-i-heard-the-voice-of-god