How Do You Know God's Love?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

DuchessAimee

Apr 27, 2011
I got into a discussion about how we know and find God's love. Their stance was we find it via the Body of Christ. My stance is we find God's love via the Bible, prayer, and the Body, not just the Body of Christ alone.

He then argued that I think I can't find God's love via people because I am expecting perfection from people.

I then argued that people are imperfect, so I'm ALWAYS going to turn to scripture first, people second.

So, church family, which is it? Am I right to look to scripture first? I've seen people twist God's love, why would I rely on humans?

Please give scripture and wisdom.

Jan 7, 2015
God's Love comes from God, it is a gift of His Spirit, the greatest of gifts.

Romans 5:5
And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

2 Timothy 1:7
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

John 17:26
And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

GuessWho

Nov 8, 2014
My stance is also that God's love can be found via the body of Christ, the Holly Eucharist, the Church.

All denominations have in common that they always turn to the Scriptures...and instead of being unified, they are separated.

They no longer see the Scriptures as what they were meant to be: records of the life of the Christian Church.

Your very post show that you put the Text on a higher level than the very body of Christ...how is that possible?

Did God incarnate to hand us some books? Or did He incarnate to be with us for ever and ever?

Dec 12, 2013
1st John 5 If we love him that begat (God) we will love him that is begotten of him (brothers and sisters in Christ)

Jesus<---By this shall all men know you are my disciples....if you have love one toward another....

It is not that we loved him, but that he loved us and gave himself for us......

This is the love of God, that we keep his commandments and his commandments are not grievous....

Love is a SPIRITUAL gift from God 1st Corinthians 13

Love is also a commandment.....
The Love of God is seen in Christ, and the children of God.......

F

FreeNChrist

I got into a discussion about how we know and find God's love. Their stance was we find it via the Body of Christ. My stance is we find God's love via the Bible, prayer, and the Body, not just the Body of Christ alone.

He then argued that I think I can't find God's love via people because I am expecting perfection from people.

I then argued that people are imperfect, so I'm ALWAYS going to turn to scripture first, people second.

So, church family, which is it? Am I right to look to scripture first? I've seen people twist God's love, why would I rely on humans?
I do not find love in the Bible, I find it in the One whom the Bible points me to, Jesus Christ.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
We can't correctly discern the body of Christ, the Church, to begin with. If we could properly discern it then we probably could turn to it to see and experience the Love of God.

What we can correctly discern is the Love that God has for us, through the scriptures and through prayer. I think a person needs to experience and understand the Love of God before they even become part of the body.

This is a hard question because a person can know something intellectually but still not have experienced it in their heart and mind. Just because a person is sitting in a pew doesn't mean they are part of the body of Christ.

Jun 30, 2011

Please give scripture and wisdom.

Proof of God's love - discipline
4 In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. 5 And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says,
“My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline,
and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
6 because the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”[a]

7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? 8 If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. 9 Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! 10 They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness.11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
12 Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. 13 “Make level paths for your feet,”[b] so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed.