How do you know which is which?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
The Scripture say the heart is deceitfully wicked who can know it and warns us to crucify our flesh daily; while at the same time tells us we fight against not flesh and blood but against principalities, and powers and rulers of the darkness. Either way only G-d can deliver us and make us more like Him.... So, would you just rather be evil in the heart or oppressed by a demonic spirit? How do you know which is which? (I hope this is the right which, I did not look it up).

A

Ariel82

If you evil in heart you would be friends with the demonic spirit,
God gives us new hearts when we are born again...it's our minds that have spiritual strongholds that need to be torn down.

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
If you evil in heart you would be friends with the demonic spirit,
God gives us new hearts when we are born again...it's our minds that have spiritual strongholds that need to be torn down.
Interesting so the human heart is only deceitfully wicked before salvation.... So sins like pride and envy, or jealousy, disobedience, is because you are demon oppressed? How do you not sin; how are you free from you oppression?

A

Ariel82

Interesting so the human heart is only deceitfully wicked before salvation.... So sins like pride and envy, or jealousy, disobedience, is because you are demon oppressed? How do you not sin; how are you free from you oppression?
No you make the assumption that its the wicked heart or demon oppression that causes sin.

I would state that spiritual strongholds (habits and thought patterns) can cause sin also....like a drug addict ...people have a sin/drug they are addicted to and have to learn to live without.

This can only be done by the power of the Holy spirit. Some weaning from certain sins can take longer than others.

Even Jesus was tempted by Satan in the desert. Demonic oppression is not signified by increase of sin for Jesus was sinless. It is Satan trying to get a foothold in your mind so he can build spiritual strongholds that was against God's wisdom and truth.

The Bible says anger that isn't released before sunset can give that foothold....unforgiveness.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
Our hearts are wicked because of our sin nature, we wrestle with the flesh, but we are inspired to keep those negative desires and emotions under control (crucify the flesh). But the real fight is ultimately a spiritual battle, the war is just fought in our temporal bodies.. Jesus came to write his commandments in the hearts of those who would receive him, and with the indwelling of his Holy Spirit, we resist evil, we aren't possessed by it.. I personally don't believe its possible for a true Christian to be possessed by a demonic spirit, they cannot dwell where the Holy spirit abides. jmo

lastofall

Aug 26, 2014
The Scripture say the heart is deceitfully wicked who can know it and warns us to crucify our flesh daily; while at the same time tells us we fight against not flesh and blood but against principalities, and powers and rulers of the darkness. Either way only G-d can deliver us and make us more like Him.... So, would you just rather be evil in the heart or oppressed by a demonic spirit? How do you know which is which? (I hope this is the right which, I did not look it up).
Either way sin does not have dominion over us, but we volunteer to put our trust into the hands and power of sin; or else we repent ourselves and put our trust into the hands and power of God: to sin is voluntary, and likewise to repent is also voluntary, according as each person purposes it in their heart.

A

AuntieAnt

The heart that is wicked and deceitful is the carnal flesh, the heart inclined to walk in its own understanding not believing God, as opposed to the pure in heart who do believe God and are surrendered to the Spirit of Jesus Christ.

The “flesh & blood” we’re not fighting against is other people. It’s wicked spirits of the world that are our enemies. Those spirits may be operating through people, or through circumstances. But the Lord tells us to fight spiritually, through fasting and prayer, and having done all, to stand on the Word of God.

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit,” says the LORD of hosts.

As to your question, "How do you not sin?", there’s only one answer. Jesus washed your sins away so that you can now live in truth and righteousness. You may as well believe Him and walk set free. If not, you’re wasting your time and your life believing a lie.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
I personally don't believe its possible for a true Christian to be possessed by a demonic spirit, they cannot dwell where the Holy spirit abides. jmo
You are right about the possession, but we can still be influenced. It is called the fiery darts of the enemy. (see Eph. 6:16) Our faith acts as a shield against that.