How do you witness to someone who thinks he is saved but not?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

ROSSELLA

How do you witness to a family member who thinks he/she is going to Heaven but not? Almost my whole family thinks everyone, as long as they are pretty good goes to Heaven. My father in particular believes the Bible was written by men who may have gotten things wrong and that all religions have a part of the truth. My mother claims to believe the Gospel but also that almost everyone goes to Heaven. It's hard to go up to them and talk about Christianity because they'll agree with almost everything the Bible says, but not that many 'good' people will go to Hell for not believing in God. A Christian to them is any one who says he or she is a Christian. Does anyone have any tips on witnessing to them?

Jan 27, 2015
Your parents believe a lot of common myths that people who are unsaved (or super immature in Christ) believe. :( God's people perish for lack of knowledge. I have gone through your parents' beliefs in this post and provided Bible verses that directly address (i.e. correct) those false beliefs. You can use these verses to give them the truth, and pray that they receive it in their minds and hearts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost my whole family thinks everyone, as long as they are pretty good goes to Heaven.
Romans 3:10-12 - "There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one."

Romans 3:23-25(excerpt) - "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is Jesus Christ, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith."

(So no one is good, and no one is good enough.)

My father in particular believes the Bible was written by men who may have gotten things wrong
2 Timothy 3:16 - "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness"

1 Corinthians 2:12-13 - "What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us. This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words."

2 Peter 1:21 - "For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."

and that all religions have a part of the truth.
John 14:6 - "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (Meaning other religions won't get you to Heaven, nor are they the truth. Jesus said this quote, by the way.)

Isaiah 45:5 (excerpt) - "I am the Lord, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God." (Other gods are false; no god is like our God.)

Romans 1:20-25 - "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles. Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator--who is forever praised. Amen." (This is about false religions. They exchanged the truth, so they don't have it. They have a lie.)

1 John 2:22 (excerpt) - "Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ." (Other religions deny that Jesus is the Christ. They lie.)

My mother claims to believe the Gospel but also that almost everyone goes to Heaven. It's hard to go up to them and talk about Christianity because they'll agree with almost everything the Bible says, but not that many 'good' people will go to Hell for not believing in God.
Matthew 7:13-14 - "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow is the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." ("Only a few" is not "almost everyone". Most people are going to Hell.)

John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him will never die, but have eternal life." (That's not just anybody; they have to believe. That's the Gospel.)

John 3:17-18 - "For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son." (Therefore, people in fact do and will go to Hell for not believing in Jesus.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this article, "How do I get to Heaven?: 10 Questions the Bible Answers" will be of particularly good use to you. It addresses some of your parents' objections and then some. In fact, both you and them could benefit from reading it. :)

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
What do you believe about heaven? Life ever after is to be spent on a renewed Earth. Perhaps you could start there? But back up to the first Passover, for Jesus is our Passover Lamb, spotless, and only those covered with His righteous blood pass from death into life. All others have their names blotted from the book of life and pass into the second death following the resurrection and judgment of all. If they are not really interested in the true gospel message, chances are they are not saved. It takes a bit of unpacking... do you understand the foreshadowing of Christ through the old covenant figures? Do they? Jesus said He was the Truth, and not all religions accept Him, obviously, so they cannot really waffle on that point, honestly. Still, they try, huh? Kind of like liberals saying they want to be tolerant of all religions except ours because it disagrees with them... The truth is by necessity exclusive and exclusionary.

R

ROSSELLA

Thank both of you! Magenta, I believe that salvation is through faith in Jesus' sacrifice on the Cross alone, which comes only through the grace of God. Because of Jesus' sacrifice, all who believe in Jesus will be saved and spend eternity in Heaven with Him. However, all who reject God's sacrifice will get what they want (or think they want): an eternity without God, which is also an eternity without any good thing (Hell). I understand the foreshadowing, I've told them about that and I don't think they necessarily disagree with it. They seem to think that everyone is right or at least could be right about God and religion. To them the Bible is irrelevant. They might not say that in so many words, but that's kind of what it means when someone picks and chooses which verses of the Bible to believe and views the Bible as fallible.

stillness

Jan 28, 2013
Walk trough the valley
Rossela, at first you will not like this, the word witness originally refers to witness of the Resurrection: You are a witness: "Now we see dimly but then face to face." Not about changing others, we change and Love them as they are, as Jesus did: will free them to change, freeing them from our expectations. "Some preach Christ out of strife and contention... some out of Love and well doing." The former under the law drive people away from the truth. Don't try to fix this mess it's not your Job and God is big enough to handle it. He prophesied it would happen by Paul "I know that after my departure grievious wolves shall enter the flock and some will arise from among you to draw away disciple after them." People building for themselves, deceived to think it's about them as leaders. He's got the whole world in His hands and will reward everyone according to their labour, keep in mind salvation is not by works but "Faith that works by Love." This Love refers to the Holy spirit in us to change us, not for us to change others around us. A hard lesson to learn, if you lean in 10 years you have do well, among those who rule with Him. Begging with letting go of expectations for them to change "Sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under the law but under Grace." Grace is God's influence in our life. Don't be discouraged we all have trouble and it's up to us to come to Him in our trouble. Most people turn to God when they need help in trouble and we will be in a time of trouble such as never was shortly, in my lifetime...

R

ROSSELLA

Rossela, at first you will not like this, the word witness originally refers to witness of the Resurrection: You are a witness: "Now we see dimly but then face to face." Not about changing others, we change and Love them as they are, as Jesus did: will free them to change, freeing them from our expectations. "Some preach Christ out of strife and contention... some out of Love and well doing." The former under the law drive people away from the truth. Don't try to fix this mess it's not your Job and God is big enough to handle it. He prophesied it would happen by Paul "I know that after my departure grievious wolves shall enter the flock and some will arise from among you to draw away disciple after them." People building for themselves, deceived to think it's about them as leaders. He's got the whole world in His hands and will reward everyone according to their labour, keep in mind salvation is not by works but "Faith that works by Love." This Love refers to the Holy spirit in us to change us, not for us to change others around us. A hard lesson to learn, if you lean in 10 years you have do well, among those who rule with Him. Begging with letting go of expectations for them to change "Sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under the law but under Grace." Grace is God's influence in our life. Don't be discouraged we all have trouble and it's up to us to come to Him in our trouble. Most people turn to God when they need help in trouble and we will be in a time of trouble such as never was shortly, in my lifetime...
Thank you. I agree that only Jesus can change my family. However, Christians are expected to share the Gospel. Jesus sent his disciples out into the world to share the Gospel and lead people to Him.

We also are expected to witness (or, if you prefer, evangelize, share the Good News, etc.)

Acts 1:8: “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth"

1 Peter 3:15: "But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect"

Romans 10:14, "How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?"

S

savedtoast

How do you witness to a family member who thinks he/she is going to Heaven but not? Almost my whole family thinks everyone, as long as they are pretty good goes to Heaven. My father in particular believes the Bible was written by men who may have gotten things wrong and that all religions have a part of the truth. My mother claims to believe the Gospel but also that almost everyone goes to Heaven. It's hard to go up to them and talk about Christianity because they'll agree with almost everything the Bible says, but not that many 'good' people will go to Hell for not believing in God. A Christian to them is any one who says he or she is a Christian. Does anyone have any tips on witnessing to them?
Why do you think you have to witness to them? Nothing can be done until they are pricked in their hearts

R

ROSSELLA

Because as Christian's we're called to witness. Throughout the Bible, Old and New Testament, God never tells His followers to sit quietly and hope others will search for God on their own. See the post above yours for some verses on this.

Aug 16, 2016
Whats important for them is to repent for their sins and accept Christ as their lord and savior. Putting their faith in Jesus alone is essential. As far as their own opinions of who goes to Heaven / Hell, God is merciful and will reveal the truth to them. Its important their not involved with any pagan practices from other religions, that's when they are really at risk. Only through Jesus can anyone enter the kingdom

Feb 28, 2016
this will include just about everyone that you know or have ever known, -
be the Example that Jesus Christ has given to us, this is what we do...

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I just want to add that you need to pray fervently for them. Thinking you are righteous enough, without Christ, is a hard lie to break. But, the Holy Spirit can and will break through!

Always remember it is God who saves people, not us. So, as long as you are praying, and being honest remember to trust God.

S

savedtoast

Because as Christian's we're called to witness. Throughout the Bible, Old and New Testament, God never tells His followers to sit quietly and hope others will search for God on their own. See the post above yours for some verses on this.
No no no, true witnessing comes with how one acts.

Feb 7, 2015
Basically, this thread says, "They believe a set of 'myths', and I believe what someone might just as quickly call "a different set of myths."

Both are probably nowhere near what God actually said to us.

Just show what's in the Bible, and let it go at that. God doesn't really need your convincing salesmanship to reach people.

S

savedtoast

Basically, this thread says, "They believe a set of 'myths', and I believe what someone might just as quickly call "a different set of myths."

Both are probably nowhere near what God actually said to us.

Just show what's in the Bible, and let it go at that. God doesn't really need your convincing salesmanship to reach people.
That's the spirit Willie, people see through the sales pitch.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
How do you witness to a family member who thinks he/she is going to Heaven but not?
Since Jesus said that a prophet is not without honor except in his own country and among his own people, you leave this matter to a non-family member who can be far more effective. The brothers of the Lord Jesus Christ refused to believe on Him until after the resurrection. That should be a lesson for all of us.

stillness

Jan 28, 2013
Walk trough the valley
Hi Rossella,

Acts 1:8: “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth"

You have the answer: there's a cost to the power of the Holy Spirit. Some think they have it already: having tasted of His goodness. You should know there is more, It's a long journey for most of us.

Nov 14, 2016
***pray for them and wait for opportunities to share the truth***

stillness

Jan 28, 2013
Walk trough the valley
Rossella, Your family is like many who think they are secure in the church but not following the Lord. Many are thought to get saved, "Believe on the Lord Jesus and you shall be saved." it's also written, "For we are saved id we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end. Are these 2 verses saying the same thing? According to the second verse you are not yet saved either you have not yet finished your course. Can you solve the riddle?

I will not leave you in the dark and will explain, but would like your thoughts at this time. What are you thinking, if you have not solved the puzzle don't feel bad most Christians think they are already saved by Grace. If we read again with emphasis on word meaning instead of mental ascent as believing, you will find the 2 verses are saying the same thing. Some get mad because it takes away their eternal security, of living in their comfort zone, but its not meant to take away our secure place in Christ, but to face that being saved: we don't stay the way we are. I believe that your honest and understand this.
Believe (follow) Jesus and you shall (security is remaining in Him whom we follow and implied in shall) be saved.
What would cause someone to fall from grace when nothing can separate us from the Love of Christ, why is there a falling away prophesied before the end: many shall be offended and shall betray one another to death. The answer is between the lines, can you see it. For if you forgive not, neither will your Father in heaven forgive you. Refusing to walk in Love is rejecting the Holy Ghost. Please don't forget I want your thoughts, I'm already posting this in another discussion eternal security as well. Your brother Ray

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
Don't be so concerned about getting them to say the sinner's prayer. Lead them to love the Lord Jesus more and more as demonstrated by your own constantly growing love for Him.

Don't point them to salvation. Point them to Jesus in everything. Salvation will come.

R

ROSSELLA

Thank all of you for your responses!