How does one read the Bible?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

laoshanlung

Apr 21, 2015
Apparently going from Genesis through Revelations without jumping around at all is a bad idea, but why? How are people who are new to reading the Bible supposed to read it? Is there a specific order of books that is recommended, or are you just supposed to pick out verses that help you with your current problems? I really want to start reading and strengthening my faith in God so that I can love others and stop hurting the people I care about (I'm somewhat self-righteous and judgmental and I want really badly to change so that I won't end up pushing everyone away when I'm older, but I have no idea how to do that right now). So, how should I start?

W

wwjd_kilden

(sorry for lurking around in the teens forum)

- For someone starting to read the bible, it's probably best to start in the new testament. Once you get an overview of what it is all about, you can start reading the old testament.

The OT sort of provides the background story and the promises of God
the NT is about the fulfilment of these promises (Jesus)

Apart from that, it is mainly a matter of preference yes

The gospel of Mark is fairly short and to the point though, so it might prove a kind of Quick introduction

Jeshuvan

Pastor
Staff member
Apr 15, 2012
Apparently going from Genesis through Revelations without jumping around at all is a bad idea, but why? How are people who are new to reading the Bible supposed to read it? Is there a specific order of books that is recommended, or are you just supposed to pick out verses that help you with your current problems? I really want to start reading and strengthening my faith in God so that I can love others and stop hurting the people I care about (I'm somewhat self-righteous and judgmental and I want really badly to change so that I won't end up pushing everyone away when I'm older, but I have no idea how to do that right now). So, how should I start?
Hi,first of all reading any part of Gods Word=Bible is never bad,because it brings life transformation and many other blessings to u.I would try to find a study bible it helps beginners greatly.Gospel of John is a great place to start.Also find a bible study at church.Just pray and trust God,he will help u by the power o f his Spirit,Amen.God Bless You Jesh.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
There's nothing wrong with just starting at the beginning and reading straight through.

For dealing with specific issues, you can read specific books and chapters.

Sounds like you might benefit from some personal study with another Christian.
You might try church bible studies, one-on-one study with your pastor, a youth group, or a mentor.
If your church has some kind of mentoring program that would probably be really good.

Desertsrose

Oct 24, 2016
There's bible plan that have you read the Bible in a year. For some, that would drive them crazy, but for others it works well.

When I first became a believer, I read all the way through, beginning with Genesis and reading through to Revelation. But I was also in a bible study that was on the book of John.

If you want to be in the NT, I suggest reading Matthew first. I love the beatitudes and all the parables. Also, it emphasizes the Gospel of the Kingdom of heaven. And you'll find plenty of scriptural help with attitudes of the heart.

I applaud you for desiring to get scriptural help to deal with heart issues at your young age of 17. Good for you! I find reading the Bible aloud helps. At times, I even pray the word.

We can all let you know what has helped us, but for everyone it will be different. You'll find what works good for you, but really, get in a bible study as soon as you can. You learn so much more when you study which helps in applying it to your life.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
I read the bible where and when God leads me..I tried reading from the beginning and it just didnt work for me..nor did just start Matthew 1:1 help me. I tend to pray and God will put things in my heart like Matthew 11:28-30 and I will open the bible and read and see what he is telling me. And listening to preachers of course.
I notice for myself if I study a certain topic, it helps me much more than just reading chapter after chapter.
The only book in the bible I read completely from beginning to the end was Revelation, twice.

laoshanlung

Apr 21, 2015
Yeah, asking God for direct verse suggestions has never gone well for me... I guess I'll just start with the New Testament, front to back! That sounds like a good idea. Get fundamentals down first, then go deeper into the scriptures. Maybe I'll do that!

Also, Demi, to be fair, you're only 16, so I bet that after a while you will have read everything completely from end to end if you're really committed to reading your Bible. You've got years to go over the same content over and over again, and you'll always be seeking and finding new things to read. At least, that's what my mom says.

Silverwings

Jul 27, 2016
It is always a good thing to pray and ask for Gods guidance and for his hand to guide you, before attempting to read the word. When I first got saved I literally devoured the word, highlighting and underlining everything that spoke to my heart, my first bible is literally scribbled thru out & on the front and back covers. God gave me answers to questions that I did not know that I had. Usually I just opened the bible and started reading. If you need help in understanding something there are many online helps , such as concordances, and topical bibles, and commentaries, all designed to help you understand , but just remember that the Holy Spirit is our best teacher. Since you are concerned about two things in your life, you might want to google them both and study what comes up concerning those issues. and got questions is a good website for information . Welcome to the wonderful and exciting life in the Spirit!!

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Well there are some books I didnt get into yet at all. Im pretty smart though in both New and Old Testament lol. I always surprise myself again. What your mom says its true. Even if you take one book and read it, the next time you read it you find new stuff again. Its kinda creepy lol.
((And I would appreciate ppl to ignore my age))

Yeah, asking God for direct verse suggestions has never gone well for me... I guess I'll just start with the New Testament, front to back! That sounds like a good idea. Get fundamentals down first, then go deeper into the scriptures. Maybe I'll do that!

Also, Demi, to be fair, you're only 16, so I bet that after a while you will have read everything completely from end to end if you're really committed to reading your Bible. You've got years to go over the same content over and over again, and you'll always be seeking and finding new things to read. At least, that's what my mom says.

M

missy2014

i dont know if youre chinese your name sounds like it is i think from memory you are but Ill translate just in case you dont speak Pu tong hua/ pu tong gua Mandarin ,on CC we cant use characters dont mind me I just like to practice sorry its not the best but if Chinese encourage me ill get better

Ni xian1 ying gai ting yi ge bu4 dao4 ran hou yi hou kan jian Sheng jing, Bùdào de shèngjīng jīng wén/ You should listen to a sermon/some sermons first and then after wards read the bible the sermons bible verses.

This gets me excited because in that case youve just heard the exciting sermon about them but it disciplines to read about your Father God outside of the sermon and it helps its enjoyable you grow and want to know more from what you studied, meditated after the message. All the best

laoshanlung

Apr 21, 2015
Sorry, Demi. I've had my age pointed out on several occasions on here, so I thought it was just the usual thing on CC. I'll ignore it from now on (if we ever speak to each other after this, that is!).

Nope, not Chinese at all. Slavic, Spanish, Irish, Native American, Pacific Islander... yeah, I'm a mutt, but I'm not the slightest bit Asian. Lao Shan Lung is the name of an Elder Dragon in the Monster Hunter franchise. It's name is Chinese though. It means "Old Mountain Dragon".

willfollowsGod

Apr 14, 2011
I am not a teen but I would like to contribute to this thread as well. When I first began reading the Bible, I did devotionals from a devotional booklet called Our Daily Bread. Now, surprisingly I never really ever read the Bible verses that they asked you to read, I instead read the other verse that was there to read. Then after doing that for a long time, I suddenly had this desire to read the Bible more. In fact, even if on a day, I do not read any books, I at least read the Bible, do devotionals, and pray to God.

It is so true, you can read a passage so many times and it becomes familiar, but you read it and notice something in the passage you never noticed before and you are like, "Wow! I never noticed that before."

As for if you are new to the Christian faith or have never read the Bible before, I recommend you begin in the New Testament for starters since we are under the new covenant and not the old covenant and the New Testament is full of Christian theology for the new believer or new Bible reader. But a favorite Christian Bible teacher I listen to called R.C. Sproul recommends reading Genesis and Exodus and then skipping Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy for the time being, then going back to them some time when you can. Then Joshua, Judges, and then the rest of the Old Testament. Then, go to the New Testament and if I remember correctly, he recommends reading Luke and then the others. Those are my recommendations. God bless. Have a beautiful day! :)

M

missy2014

Sorry, Demi. I've had my age pointed out on several occasions on here, so I thought it was just the usual thing on CC. I'll ignore it from now on (if we ever speak to each other after this, that is!).

Nope, not Chinese at all. Slavic, Spanish, Irish, Native American, Pacific Islander... yeah, I'm a mutt, but I'm not the slightest bit Asian. Lao Shan Lung is the name of an Elder Dragon in the Monster Hunter franchise. It's name is Chinese though. It means "Old Mountain Dragon".
oh so sorry !

M

missy2014

i think i confused you with someone else

laoshanlung

Apr 21, 2015
Eh, no worries. I can understand how someone who doesn't play Monster Hunter might get that mixed up.

T

Tintin

Everyone has their own approaches, but I'd start at the beginning with Genesis and Exodus. Then, because Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy are super-heavy going I'd jump forward to the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John), then Acts. From there you could go wherever you wish (maybe back to the Old Testament or you could finish the New Testament (except Revelation). I'd leave Revelation as the very last book. It's the final book in the Bible for a very good reason.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Understanding scripture is as simple as learning to love the Lord completely, and loving and accepting the people God created. It is also so complicated that men have spent an entire lifetime devoted to understanding it and still have more to learn.

It helps to know how it is divided. The first five books tell of God's principles, then the rest of the OT show how those principles work in life at that time. It takes in 4,000 years, with lots of changes in the world during all that time. Then comes the three years that Christ lived on earth.

From almost the first years of the earth men didn't listen to how God created the world to be.

God started a new race we call Jews to show the world God. Every race but them made up their own god, or they became Jews to worship the true God. The rest of the OT scripture tells about this, with the Jews not doing a very good job of being true to the Lord.

The last part of scripture is the story of men taking the principles we learn in the first five books of the bible to all the races that weren't Jewish. The main point of these letters is instructions in following God's way without the cultural things the Jews did that God had given them to remind them of God's ways.

The problem with learning scripture is that the first five books are important but the people used to explain God lived in a world very different from ours so it is hard to understand them. To complicate it further, the original language used was Hebrew and it doesn't translate well. There are always layers of meaning in all it says, the main two is the simple telling of what happened. There is always a spiritual principle behind each happening. Everything is symbolic of some spiritual truth as well as giving the facts of a happening.

The ideal way to understand is to study the first fiver books first, but it is tough going. I use www.torahclass.com to help, for it gives the culture of the people at that time and symbolic meanings of scripture.

Perhaps starting with Psalms and Proverbs would be easier, it gives what God is like. Once you understand the God the rest of scripture is telling us of it is easier to understand the message. You need to keep in mind that all scripture speaks of Christ. As an example, learning the sacrificial system is learning what Christ does for us as it is symbolic of Christ.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Understanding scripture is as simple as learning to love the Lord completely, and loving and accepting the people God created. It is also so complicated that men have spent an entire lifetime devoted to understanding it and still have more to learn.

It helps to know how it is divided. The first five books tell of God's principles, then the rest of the OT show how those principles work in life at that time. It takes in 4,000 years, with lots of changes in the world during all that time. Then comes the three years that Christ lived on earth.

From almost the first years of the earth men didn't listen to how God created the world to be.

God started a new race we call Jews to show the world God. Every race but them made up their own god, or they became Jews to worship the true God. The rest of the OT scripture tells about this, with the Jews not doing a very good job of being true to the Lord.

The last part of scripture is the story of men taking the principles we learn in the first five books of the bible to all the races that weren't Jewish. The main point of these letters is instructions in following God's way without the cultural things the Jews did that God had given them to remind them of God's ways.

The problem with learning scripture is that the first five books are important but the people used to explain God lived in a world very different from ours so it is hard to understand them. To complicate it further, the original language used was Hebrew and it doesn't translate well. There are always layers of meaning in all it says, the main two is the simple telling of what happened. There is always a spiritual principle behind each happening. Everything is symbolic of some spiritual truth as well as giving the facts of a happening.

The ideal way to understand is to study the first fiver books first, but it is tough going. I use www.torahclass.com to help, for it gives the culture of the people at that time and symbolic meanings of scripture.

Perhaps starting with Psalms and Proverbs would be easier, it gives what God is like. Once you understand the God the rest of scripture is telling us of it is easier to understand the message. You need to keep in mind that all scripture speaks of Christ. As an example, learning the sacrificial system is learning what Christ does for us as it is symbolic of Christ.

Blik, the highlighted red part is wrong. Jesus wasn't on earth for THREE years. It was alot longer than that. Unless time went at warp speed back then. lol :)

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Blik, the highlighted red part is wrong. Jesus wasn't on earth for THREE years. It was alot longer than that. Unless time went at warp speed back then. lol :)
Thanks, Ladybug. I ignored lots of what we know about Jesus!