How does one read the Bible?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
1. Open Bible
2.read words inside bible

D

Depleted

Apparently going from Genesis through Revelations without jumping around at all is a bad idea, but why? How are people who are new to reading the Bible supposed to read it? Is there a specific order of books that is recommended, or are you just supposed to pick out verses that help you with your current problems? I really want to start reading and strengthening my faith in God so that I can love others and stop hurting the people I care about (I'm somewhat self-righteous and judgmental and I want really badly to change so that I won't end up pushing everyone away when I'm older, but I have no idea how to do that right now). So, how should I start?
I guess I'm the weirdo. When I first became a believer I did start at Genesis and read it through. How else are we getting the whole book without knowing it first? And I admit it, the law got repetitive, so I turned the page until something got new again. And I can't remember anymore which depressed me more the first time -- Isaiah or Jeremiah -- but it did deeply depress me, so I jumped again.

What's wrong with starting at the beginning and reading through? Maybe you'll do better than I did.

T

Tintin

I guess I'm the weirdo. When I first became a believer I did start at Genesis and read it through. How else are we getting the whole book without knowing it first? And I admit it, the law got repetitive, so I turned the page until something got new again. And I can't remember anymore which depressed me more the first time -- Isaiah or Jeremiah -- but it did deeply depress me, so I jumped again.

What's wrong with starting at the beginning and reading through? Maybe you'll do better than I did.
I found the book of Jeremiah to be far more depressing than Isaiah. It's a good book, but man alive, it's a somber read.

Feb 7, 2015
A year or two ago, I bought a Bible type book called The Story. Man, I wish they had that for sale way back when I first started reading the Bible.

Elisabet

Jul 11, 2015
I read the bible where and when God leads me..I tried reading from the beginning and it just didnt work for me..nor did just start Matthew 1:1 help me. I tend to pray and God will put things in my heart like Matthew 11:28-30 and I will open the bible and read and see what he is telling me. And listening to preachers of course.
I notice for myself if I study a certain topic, it helps me much more than just reading chapter after chapter.
The only book in the bible I read completely from beginning to the end was Revelation, twice.
If i were to do this, i would end up ignoring God's voice and read whatever i feel to read.

In my opinion, you still need to read the whole Bible to know the whole big picture of Salvation and how God is always faithful.

But on the other hand, who would not get bored in reading Leviticus or Numbers? Therefore I always search for the background of the books and why they were put in the Bible in the very first time.

I join a youth group in my church and we discuss the whole Bible at a glance, so we only discuss the background and some important events that support the whole Salvation project by God. And yeah, instead of being boring, Leviticus succeeds in making me amazed by how loving, caring, and faithful God is.

T

Tintin

If i were to do this, i would end up ignoring God's voice and read whatever i feel to read.

In my opinion, you still need to read the whole Bible to know the whole big picture of Salvation and how God is always faithful.

But on the other hand, who would not get bored in reading Leviticus or Numbers? Therefore I always search for the background of the books and why they were put in the Bible in the very first time.

I join a youth group in my church and we discuss the whole Bible at a glance, so we only discuss the background and some important events that support the whole Salvation project by God. And yeah, instead of being boring, Leviticus succeeds in making me amazed by how loving, caring, and faithful God is.
I agree that we should read the whole Bible to get the big picture. I'm a huge advocate of that. I do absolutely believe that every Christian, at some point in their lives, should read the Bible starting at Genesis and ending at Revelation. But also firmly believe that, for someone new to reading the Bible, such a reading plan could be counterintuitive. As we've already said, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy make for some seriously difficult reading. Even the last half or so of Exodus is pretty uh... descriptive. In all of this, we should read as the Holy Spirit leads.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
When I hit Genesis 28 I dropped it.. So after a while I decided to start off with the new and I didnt make it past the sermon on the mount.
I am not a person that can just read the whole bible at once. I ended up reading the short books and revelation and started to study topics. You can read the same book 5 times and always find something new..you cannot remember all even if you read the whole bible. And so far, no matter if the discussion was New or Old Testament, I was able to keep up with it lol.

M

missy2014

i wouldnt worry about it if she doesnt she'll do it in the next life the bible will be such a reality then to all of us.
Demi knows God so im convinced she knows the bible anyway peace sister but i do see your point too lizzy

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Yep and the closer you come to God the more you tend to know the bible without ever reading it lol! Know the felling when people are arguing and you just KNOW what God says about it but you have to google it to find it and it ends up that it was exacly what you had in mind...he writes the law on our hearts too.

i wouldnt worry about it if she doesnt she'll do it in the next life the bible will be such a reality then to all of us.
Demi knows God so im convinced she knows the bible anyway peace sister but i do see your point too lizzy

M

missy2014

another thing to is i got saved when i was 5 or 6 I so wasnt gonna read the bible then
things to consider is * age
*abusive backgrounds it can be difficult for people to study not for all of them
but I use to have this old prophet friend he found it very difficult
to complete persistently his studies he was badly abused his Dad use to hit him with wood and i learnt at uni that the frontal and i think rear cortex? the partsof the brain can be severly affected through , develop slowly
Im not gonna spiritualize things away its a actual fact that was taught to me by non Christians (brain development):0
also from abuse and non abuse severe stress concentration levels are affected - my Mum was in hospital for a few weeks she didnt come home I found it difficult to listen and concentrate on my studies
I was under severe stress I didnt shower for two weeks ( i was hurting)

things like that yeh :)

M

missy2014

Yep and the closer you come to God the more you tend to know the bible without ever reading it lol! Know the felling when people are arguing and you just KNOW what God says about it but you have to google it to find it and it ends up that it was exacly what you had in mind...he writes the law on our hearts too.
Amen preach it sis

M

missy2014

will give them a heart to know me, that I am the LORD. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart. Jeremiah 24:7

Blik

Dec 6, 2016

What is wrong with the way you did it is that you needed help to understand the culture of the times you were reading about.

Creation was about 6,000 years ago, the creation the bible speaks of. Just 500 years ago was about 1520, that is a lot less time than 6,000 years and think of the changes in the world since that time.

If you read it, thinking the people it speaks of lived and thought like we do of course it would be bewildering. In fact, it is quite recent that information about that time has been found through archeology and the deep sea scrolls. They thought differently--they didn't ask why, when, or how as we do. They said Oh, so that is how it is, now how can I manage best now I know that. And they managed--how to build a place to live, get water, raise crops--think of the smarts it took to manage. The things they didn't have that we do is endless, they didn't even have jails if someone became a threat to them. Governments were as savage as Hitler was and worse. They killed little babies to feed their blood to stones they said were gods.

When God taught His principles and people listened, that society turned around. Women were treated fairly, children were taught right and wrong, punishments were just and convicting someone meant you saw them do it. If it was lied about and they found out, you received the punishment you caused. Slaves were treated humanly and given freedom after seven years if they wanted it. Everything was done to make the world safe and have abundance for all who chose to live with love.

But the society of the world that ancient was so different from today that help is needed to understand scripture written about people of that time. With help even reading genealogies tells us interesting things about God.

M

missy2014

will give them a heart to know me, that I am the LORD. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart. Jeremiah 24:7
im super excited that ill be knowing God again soon #God is on the move# thy will be done#IT IS DONE#

Blik

Dec 6, 2016

You have a lifetime of learning the principles of the Lord ahead of you and what a fascinating journey it is!

I kept trying to make sense of the OT for years. I was 79 years old when I found someone who could help me make sense of it! I cried when I found out how mistaken I had been before I learned what the Lord had to say in those chapters. I kept thinking "Oh, THAT is how the world works".

Life is an exciting wonderful journey when God is with us and scripture tells all about how to have joy and fun, even during the most trying times.

M

missy2014

another thing to is i got saved when i was 5 or 6 I so wasnt gonna read the bible then
things to consider is * age
*abusive backgrounds it can be difficult for people to study not for all of them
but I use to have this old prophet friend he found it very difficult
to complete persistently his studies he was badly abused his Dad use to hit him with wood and i learnt at uni that the frontal and i think rear cortex? the partsof the brain can be severly affected through , develop slowly
Im not gonna spiritualize things away its a actual fact that was taught to me by non Christians (brain development):0
also from abuse and non abuse severe stress concentration levels are affected - my Mum was in hospital for a few weeks she didnt come home I found it difficult to listen and concentrate on my studies
I was under severe stress I didnt shower for two weeks ( i was hurting)

things like that yeh :)
*wasnt gonna read the whole bible when i was 5 or 6

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
Apparently going from Genesis through Revelations without jumping around at all is a bad idea, but why? How are people who are new to reading the Bible supposed to read it? Is there a specific order of books that is recommended, or are you just supposed to pick out verses that help you with your current problems? I really want to start reading and strengthening my faith in God so that I can love others and stop hurting the people I care about (I'm somewhat self-righteous and judgmental and I want really badly to change so that I won't end up pushing everyone away when I'm older, but I have no idea how to do that right now). So, how should I start?
I would start with the new testament because this applies to you, as Gods view of you has completely changed now that you are in Christ, as oppose to how you were before, being of a sinful nature.

Dec 15, 2016
I don't think there is a specific answer for this, I would just recommend reading it as many times as possible though

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I don't think there is a specific answer for this, I would just recommend reading it as many times as possible though
Many people have read the bible through over and over and still there is disagreement about God. There has to be more to it than just sitting down and reading or it would lead to all knowing the truth.

First, we must read it with the understanding the people of the time it was written for understood. A Hebrew thought differently many thousands of years ago than we do today. God let us have the dead sea scrolls telling us of how they thought and what words meant to them so we would understand today.

Many people read scripture but don't believe it. Some say Christ changed the world when He came, not realizing Christ was before Abraham and Christ said He changed nothing until all is fulfilled. The Torah is scripture (first 5 chapters). If it is read as something that is changed by Christ then it does not lead to Christ or to wisdom.

Many read scripture and apply their human reasoning to it rather than learning of God and how our world was created to be. They see the Holy Wars and the flood as proof their thinking is better than our creator. They don't believe what the Psalms tell us of the attributes of God. When they read of God in order to judge Him rather than learn from God, it leads to sinful confusion.