How Good Are You At Finishing What You've Started?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hey Everyone! :)

Do any of you out there tend to start on a lot of projects, hobbies, or jobs that "never seem to get done"?

One thing I know God has been convicting me of lately is "finish up what you've started, even if you know the project isn't going to be a complete success." For example, I tend to fall in love with creative hobbies. In that past, I've tried everything from cross stitch to soap-making... But, I've noticed that my attention gets scattered over a dozen different things and wind up feeling stressed and anxious over things that are supposed to help me relax!

So, some of the techniques I am trying are to: 1. Never have more than 2 projects in each category going at one time, if possible, and 2. keep all materials for each project in a very specific place and/or plastic bin, if possible, so I have everything I need for each project (and don't have to waste time hunting for odds and ends.)

I'm not sure if it's working so far :), but I think I'm getting a better handle on my "to do" lists than I was before. And, it may sound strange, but I do think that practicing the habit of following through with what we start, whether big or small, is honoring not only to God, but also to our future relationships.

How about the rest of you? Tell us what seems to stop you from getting things done... and please, if you have tips on how to stay focused, motivated, and organized, share with the rest of us.

My closet of "to do's" will surely thank you. :D

J

Jullianna

Once I begin a project, I'm totally committed to it, even reading a book. Serious Type A...

Aug 2, 2009
You have trouble finishing, I have trouble tearing myself away from my hobbies.

Hommer

Feb 11, 2010
I dont really have trouble fi......

J

Jullianna

hahahahaha @ Hommer! And he's even got that leg lamp to work by! No excuses!

M

Maddog

I avoid the whole mess by never starting anything. Bone idleness is boring, but at least it's stable.

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
Ugh, I've avoided this thread like the plague because it reminds me of my mother. LOL

..but seriously, if you are calling it a project, then it is going to suck the life out of you.

I have a TON of hobbies. I like to learn how to do new things. In general I just like learning. However, I can't think of a single thing that I've ever finished.

Even when I'm cooking, I love to peek and tweak something, until I'm satisfied with it. I think that the Satisfied part occurs halfway through me eating it.

I love to learn foreign Languages but, in the end I haven't actually finished any of them. I can read most things in Latin based Languages. I can speak a little German and a little Spanish, enough to get by should I need it. But I'm satisfied, unless a need should arise and then I'll study some more. Right now I'm studying Conversational Hebrew, in case I turn 29 and I'm still not married, I can get a visa and move to Israel for a year ;)

I like fixing things, if I can but, if I get started I'll wind up focusing on what else could be done or even re-engineered better. But sometimes I get in over my head and can't put it back together. :)

I love to take big exploratory trips, where the goal is to not have a goal but, to just discover some new experience. That is how I wound up snorkeling in the Keys, going to a Mariners/ Orioles game, at the 24 hours of Le Mans in Road Atlanta, buying a Hammock at a flea Market in Panama, running away from a moose in the Dark Forest of Maine, and running away in the dark from a wild pig in Georgia.

SO... right now I bought a bike that I plan on riding to South America on but, IT IS NOT A PROJECT. its a hobbie ;)

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

I never finish anything, i have the worst commitment problems on the planet.

Except for when it comes to books, i have to finish reading a book no matter how bad i wanna rip my eyeballs out! I WILL FINISH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 24, 2010
I never finish anything, i have the worst commitment problems on the planet.

Except for when it comes to books, i have to finish reading a book no matter how bad i wanna rip my eyeballs out! I WILL FINISH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You what I love about you, there is not a pretentious bone in your humanity. You give us exactly what you are with no veils, no hypocrisy and with an open heart. Many would like to have that kind of transparency and openness but they struggle with it and I am not talking about going around and telling everybody your faults and all those times you sinned. I am taking about just being human. Jesus Christ was God but He was human and He understood humanity because He became a man and had like passions, was tempted as we are tempted (yet without sin) and is touched will the feelings of our infirmities or weaknesses (Acts 2:1,2, 14:15, James 5:17, Heb 4:15).

J

Jullianna

I love that about Nod too :)

J

Jullianna

I wish I could be more like people who can't finish something. Sometimes I wonder if there's not a tad of OCD in me. :) I can try to talk myself out of doing something or obsessing about it, but in the end, I end up doing it. *sigh*

Jun 20, 2010
No doubt many times I have left things unfinished, however in a importance-urgency view of things, the unfinished tend to be less important or urgent.

D

diyahna2011

oh dear! this is so me...am only good at the start of something... then having a rough time of finishing what I started. Good thing, I have my stickies now so I am fully aware of the things that I have to accomplish...I really need to start doing my homework now...got loads of it!

bless you all

P

Psalm2713

let me see.... I have two scarfs, unfinished for almost a year now, one crotchet, the other knitting lol.... without forgetting the cross stitch christmas decorations I had started working on last december.....pheww... and, I have to finish my Pure Math Questions.... thanks Kim! for reminding us on that..

May 4, 2011
I always finish what I start even if that means it has to go up in flames.