How I got off pills

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
No I never liked to take pills, but at age 16 when I was going through a crisis doctors diagnosed me with manic depression (known today as Bipolar disorder) and for 15 years I suffered from having to take pills everyday that didnt work! I was still alive, but I was pretty much a zombie.

It was a nightmare, but thankfully God got me through and got me off pills/drugs and showed me how to care for myself.

I thought I would share with people here my journey because truly I would not wish that you have to go through what I went through. If anyone is suffering from depression, manic or otherwise and doesnt know any other treatment than what the doctors prescribe, I say to you there is hope and you can shake that permanent label of being 'mentally ill' which becomes a curse not a blessing.

for people that dont understand what mental illness is, please refrain from judging anyone that is suffering from this affliction what the afflicted needs to learn, is how to defeat the demons that are harassing them. Jesus has given us the authority to cast out those demons so, lets do this. :)

E

EleventhHour

We speak of "mental health" now my friend

Mental health by God's grace ... for those who believe.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Thanks for sharing what you've been thru, lanolin.

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
can you elaborate more about your journey with God?

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
*shakes head. Demons. *eyeroll
Zero mention of mental illness in the bible being demons. Myth perpetuation.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
can you elaborate more about your journey with God?
yes. mental health is important and your thoughts are important and one thing to learn is to tell yourself the truth that God does love you. His son Jesus died for you. Once you grasp this truth no lie can get you down again.

Remember what Jesus said about satan, he is liar who's only purpose is to steal, kill and destroy. But Jesus has come so that he can give you life, and life in abundance.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Thanks for sharing what you've been thru, lanolin.
no worries, some people though dont want to hear what Jesus did for me. Its kind of weird. Every believer has a testimony, but not everyone is ready to hear it.

anyway its a long story so, I might post in parts. Be encouraged.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
*shakes head. Demons. *eyeroll
Zero mention of mental illness in the bible being demons. Myth perpetuation.
Are you aware that there is a bit of debate about that? If you are curious you can look up the phrase "moonstruck KJV" as well as Lunatic(k). Even barring a mistranslation, epileptic seizures that stopped when Jesus cast out the demon kind of shows that these maladies "can" be caused by spiritual forces according to scripture.

There are a few instances of madness in the OT as well. In Deuteronomy and in Samuel. Madness could be defined as a mental condition with extraneous (non-physical) negative stimuli producing it.

Just figured I'd put that forward. It is highly likely that in the majority of cases this is not so, but that it cannot be ruled out completely.

Thank you so much for the share @Lanolin . I'm not a big fan of strong psychiatric medicine, especially with dubious efficacy. I believe that the Lord does indeed heal and it is quite encouraging to see someone getting freedom in this way <3

So many people turn to drugs as a first resort and all they usually do is mask symptoms, they rarely cure the root cause. Exceptions to this probably exist, but I pray many others learn to trust the Lord with their infirmities and walk within his healing :)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Im just going to list some of the drugs/pills I was prescribed...for readers if you recognise any of these that you may have been on as well. I didnt take them all at once but just so you have an idea.

haloperidol
clopazine
chlorpomazine
melleril
lithium carbonate
epilim/sodium valproate
immavane
xyprexa/olanzapine

I dont think I was ever prescribes prozac or flouextine but doctors were reluctant because they thought if I took too much antidepressants it would make me go 'high' so they were more into the trnaquilizers, antipsychotics, mood stablilizers and sleeping pills that had a sedative effect. If then complained I was groggy or not feeling normal they would reason that it is better I took mood stabilizers then risk feeling normal or actually being in control of my own emotions! (without taking a pill). Epilim or sodium valporate was actually used as a 'mood stabiliser' but doctors do prescribe it for seizures, which I never had.

I also had to have blood tests every few months and keep visiting the doctors for all these pills of course and make sure I took them every single day without fail. Way to make you feel like an invalid!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
If I was observed having an unusual emotion like crying too much or laughing too hard people might have said 'are you taking your medication' as if I was sick. Imagine how that makes anyone feel.
Another thing was I had to tell the doctors if I was feeling like harming myself ie. comitting suicide. Because some of the drugs had unfortunate side effects like...suicidal thoughts!

Aside from the tremors, dry mouth, athritis and heres a kicker...potential birth defects if you were going to be pregnant. Oh great!

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Are you aware that there is a bit of debate about that? If you are curious you can look up the phrase "moonstruck KJV" as well as Lunatic(k). Even barring a mistranslation, epileptic seizures that stopped when Jesus cast out the demon kind of shows that these maladies "can" be caused by spiritual forces according to scripture.

There are a few instances of madness in the OT as well. In Deuteronomy and in Samuel. Madness could be defined as a mental condition with extraneous (non-physical) negative stimuli producing it.

Just figured I'd put that forward. It is highly likely that in the majority of cases this is not so, but that it cannot be ruled out completely.

Thank you so much for the share @Lanolin . I'm not a big fan of strong psychiatric medicine, especially with dubious efficacy. I believe that the Lord does indeed heal and it is quite encouraging to see someone getting freedom in this way <3

So many people turn to drugs as a first resort and all they usually do is mask symptoms, they rarely cure the root cause. Exceptions to this probably exist, but I pray many others learn to trust the Lord with their infirmities and walk within his healing :)
Having my own mental illness and spent 30 years as a Christian, yes I am. Hence my reason for my reaction.
But "can be" is not the same as "it IS demons" blanket statements. As made in the OP.
Typically what I've seen and experienced is these statements do more harm than good and lead to a lot of wrong thinking, guilt and shame. Not healing or encouragement or freedom.

E

EleventhHour

It would seem I forgot to finish my thought

Yes I would agree, for certain brain imaging tells us a lot about what is happening for people with problems in mental health.

While I believe spiritual possession can and does occur ....it needs to be kept separate.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I am going to deal with root causes of depression.
People think if they just treat the symptoms thats dealing with depression. Not so.

there is a myth that what people see as the symptoms is causing the depression. Like people will claim that its a chemical imbalance and all it needs is some more chemicals to balance you out, but you do not ADD chemicals to ' fix' an already disordered mind.

In the Bible it says a doubleminded man is unstable in all his ways. With bipolar disorder, what happens is the mind is not truly anchored in Christ, so one is always wavering between belief and unbelief. that is why people thats suffer sometimes are said to be not in their right mind. There is a spiritual battle going on. The key is recognising it.

and people have got to understand about what attacks the soul and the mind. who is the enemy? Its satan and his demons.
who is on our side? God and his angels. And most of all. the Lord Jesus Christ who give us authority to cast out FEAR for there is no fear in love, for fear hath torment.

HeraldtheNews

Apr 26, 2012
Thank you for sharing your testimony. Behavioral health is what they call it these days and not mental illness. Medical solutions can help, with community Church help, but some medicine's can be dangerous and many are not meant to be a permanent solution. But body chemistry is very important, and the more natural the solution the better, such as healthy eating, walking/exercise with friends and family and community.

But, sometimes medical treatment is necessary to help people get stable and under control and get some rest in a safe place.

Sometimes recovery can involve spiritual intervention, but most churches are reluctant to take on dramatic situations without the cooperation and support and full devotion of a suffering person to get well. Usually, if there are demonic influences involved, a true commitment to church and living the truth, way, and life of Jesus, reading the Bible, following your treatment plan, the bad vibes and spirits will flee.

This isn't rocket science, but it is easier said than done.
Counselor's want to shout:

JUST STOP IT!!!!
Dont come to my office week after week for a hug and a mug and keep doing the same stupid bs...!!!

But, they usually don't, cause they could get fired.

God's power is real.
He knows how to help us.
Just hang on.
Help is on the way.
Call for help.
It's called prayer too.

I can barely pray on a bad day,
But, you have helped me too, by trying to help you.
But, computer screens are not easy to hug....

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
It would seem I forgot to finish my thought

Yes I would agree, for certain brain imaging tells us a lot about what is happening for people with problems in mental health.

While I believe spiritual possession can and does occur ....it needs to be kept separate.
Ah ok :ROFL:

Yes, I agree. I even discussed the brain imaging results with someone recently, who has differing views than myself on mental illness.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Why do so many attribute illness, problems, yada yada, to demons? Not every trial we go through is caused by demons.. :rolleyes:

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
emotional abuse, the root cause behind that is fear and fear is actually sent by demons, for want of. a better word.
Dont be afraid to say STOP IT when fear (demon) is attacking you. Name the fear.
if more counsellors new they could say 'stop it, in Jesus name!' then fear would actually stop in its tracks.

But people think instead of a simple command, that its easier or more profitable to give drugs.

Getting people stable - ok when you are in the throws of a psychotic spell etc its not pretty. Its actually scary for not just the person afflicted but anyone else observing. what you need to do is get that person to a safe space, and calm.

physically, a HUG is actually what you need to do to stop someone running away.
and a mug of tea...also. A lot of people dont know the healing effects of a simple cup of tea. After all the Bible says leaves are for our healing. What is tea made from...leaves and hot water.

a person equipped to deal with mental illness is what Jesus said this kind can only go out through prayer AND Fasting.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
emotional abuse, the root cause behind that is fear and fear is actually sent by demons, for want of. a better word.
Dont be afraid to say STOP IT when fear (demon) is attacking you. Name the fear.
if more counsellors new they could say 'stop it, in Jesus name!' then fear would actually stop in its tracks.

But people think instead of a simple command, that its easier or more profitable to give drugs.

Getting people stable - ok when you are in the throws of a psychotic spell etc its not pretty. Its actually scary for not just the person afflicted but anyone else observing. what you need to do is get that person to a safe space, and calm.

physically, a HUG is actually what you need to do to stop someone running away.
and a mug of tea...also. A lot of people dont know the healing effects of a simple cup of tea. After all the Bible says leaves are for our healing. What is tea made from...leaves and hot water.

a person equipped to deal with mental illness is what Jesus said this kind can only go out through prayer AND Fasting.
I have suffered with mental illness for over 35 yrs...
I was diagnosed with Psychosis , I had a terrible season of that for a while , but since I got saved 4 yrs ago , I have only had one episode , and I understand fully what you mean when the mind wavers...

In my early babe years in Christ , I could go from one minute to thinking I was saved , then the next I was on my way to hell , it took the LORD time and His grace to show me who I am in Him , and through all my OCD thoughts that I could not not control , He brought me to this Scripture that finally broke them chains , and hear it is ,

Philippians 4:7
And the peace of God, surpassing all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
...xox...