How is evangelism to take place in our day?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Why do you pick the things that fit your theology and ignore those that don't? This same verse says they broke bread which means a meal confirmed in v11 where it says "And when Paul had gone up and broken bread and EATEN........."
They met on the Lord's day. I didn't write it. And that is hardly the only reason I believe worship should be the first day of the week. When I have more time I will be glad to share.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
They met on the Lord's day. I didn't write it. And that is hardly the only reason I believe worship should be the first day of the week. When I have more time I will be glad to share.
Now answer the question.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Now answer the question.
You think I'm cherry picking scripture? You said the early church didn't meet on Sunday. I gave a verse refuting that. That's not cherry picking...it's quoting scripture. It doesn't fit with your theology so you reject it. Fine by me.

IsaiahA

Jan 24, 2023
The why do you meet on Sundays which is not in scripture?
I ignore Sabbatarian legalism applied to the 7th or the 1st day of the week. I live under the New Covenant! I reject the idea of calling Sunday the "Christian Sabbath".

1. Nowhere in the New Covenant is there a command for Christians, New Covenant believers, to observe the sabbath. Jesus did not command its observance for Christians.

2. The sabbath is not mentioned in the Bible until you come to Moses and the Mosaic Law.

3. God worked 6 days and rested on the 7th day making it holy. Sunday is a rest day after 6 days of work. There is not a specific day of the week commanded in the New Covenant as the rest day, but Sunday, being the first day of the week when Jesus Christ arose from the grave, it is honored. It is the Lord's Day just as the communion is the Lord's Supper.

4. I am not an Israelite and the sabbath was given to Israel alone in the law, to no other nations -
"And what great nation is there, that has statutes and ordinances so righteous as all this law which I set before you this day?" (Deut 4:8, RSV)
a. The law, including the "sabbath", was given on that particular day or time.
b. It was given to Israel alone, no other nations
C. Acts chapter 15 makes it clear Gentiles were not put under the Mosaic Law

5. Jesus came to fulfil the law and complete the law's requirements, Matt. 5:17,18
Jesus "abolished" the law, "by abolishing in his flesh the law of commandments and ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace,"(Eph 2:15, RSV)
Jesus nailed it to the cross, "having canceled the bond which stood against us with its legal demands; this he set aside, nailing it to the cross. (Col 2:14, RSV) Read 2 Cor. 3:7-11
Compare the following two verses, one NT and the other OT -
"In speaking of a new covenant he treats the first as obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away." (Heb 8:13, RSV)
compare with
"And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he neither ate bread nor drank water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments." (Exod 34:28, RSV)
** The sabbath was in the "ten commandments" that vanished away in Christ.

6. Paul specifically named the "sabbath" as something we are not to permit ourselves to be judged about, "Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a sabbath". (Col 2:16, RSV)
"Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Master is able to make him stand. One man esteems one day as better than another, while another man esteems all days alike. Let every one be fully convinced in his own mind." (Rom 14:4-5, RSV)

From Fausset's Bible Dictionary -
"The early church met to break bread on the first day (Act 20:7); it was the day for laying by of alms for the poor (1Co 16:2). No formal decree changed the Sabbath from the seventh to the first day; this would only have offended the Jews and weak Christians.
At first both days were kept. But when Judaizing Christians wished to bring Christians under the bondage of the law, and the Jews became open antagonists of the church, the observance of the Jewish Sabbath was tacitly laid aside, and the Lord's day alone was kept; see Col 2:16. Moses, the law's representative, could not lead Israel into Canaan. The law leads to Christ, there its office ceases: it is Jesus, the Antitype of Joshua, who leads us into the heavenly rest (Heb 4:8-9)."

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Then why do you meet on Sundays which is not in scripture?
This is getting the subject off the track.

However Christians meet on Sundays (the first day of the week) for two primary reasons: (1) Christ rose from the dead on the first day of the week, hence it is called "The Lord's Day" (Rev 1:10) and (2) Christ Himself instituted this day as the day of Christian worship when He waited eight days in order to meet with Thomas and elicit his worship. The New Testament is crystal clear that it is the first day of the week on which Christians met to worship, and this is confirmed by Justin Martyr in the 2nd century. It happens to be called "Sunday" (the day of the sun) but it is also the day of the Son. At the same time Paul revealed that the Sabbath days are "shadows" and the reality is Christ.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
How is evangelism to take place in our day?

1 Peter 2:
9But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: 10Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy. 11Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul; 12Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation. 13Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; 14Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. 15For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:

It is far more than just the speaking of words. When we walk in the light, they will see it.

Bringing the world into the Christian assembly pollutes and adulterates.
Mark 2:17
“When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
This is getting the subject off the track.

However Christians meet on Sundays (the first day of the week) for two primary reasons: (1) Christ rose from the dead on the first day of the week, hence it is called "The Lord's Day" (Rev 1:10) and (2) Christ Himself instituted this day as the day of Christian worship when He waited eight days in order to meet with Thomas and elicit his worship. The New Testament is crystal clear that it is the first day of the week on which Christians met to worship, and this is confirmed by Justin Martyr in the 2nd century. It happens to be called "Sunday" (the day of the sun) but it is also the day of the Son. At the same time Paul revealed that the Sabbath days are "shadows" and the reality is Christ.
You are just quoting tradition spoken by people that want to avoid any change.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
I ignore Sabbatarian legalism applied to the 7th or the 1st day of the week. I live under the New Covenant! I reject the idea of calling Sunday the "Christian Sabbath".

1. Nowhere in the New Covenant is there a command for Christians, New Covenant believers, to observe the sabbath. Jesus did not command its observance for Christians.

2. The sabbath is not mentioned in the Bible until you come to Moses and the Mosaic Law.

3. God worked 6 days and rested on the 7th day making it holy. Sunday is a rest day after 6 days of work. There is not a specific day of the week commanded in the New Covenant as the rest day, but Sunday, being the first day of the week when Jesus Christ arose from the grave, it is honored. It is the Lord's Day just as the communion is the Lord's Supper.

4. I am not an Israelite and the sabbath was given to Israel alone in the law, to no other nations -
"And what great nation is there, that has statutes and ordinances so righteous as all this law which I set before you this day?" (Deut 4:8, RSV)
a. The law, including the "sabbath", was given on that particular day or time.
b. It was given to Israel alone, no other nations
C. Acts chapter 15 makes it clear Gentiles were not put under the Mosaic Law

5. Jesus came to fulfil the law and complete the law's requirements, Matt. 5:17,18
Jesus "abolished" the law, "by abolishing in his flesh the law of commandments and ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace,"(Eph 2:15, RSV)
Jesus nailed it to the cross, "having canceled the bond which stood against us with its legal demands; this he set aside, nailing it to the cross. (Col 2:14, RSV) Read 2 Cor. 3:7-11
Compare the following two verses, one NT and the other OT -
"In speaking of a new covenant he treats the first as obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away." (Heb 8:13, RSV)
compare with
"And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he neither ate bread nor drank water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments." (Exod 34:28, RSV)
** The sabbath was in the "ten commandments" that vanished away in Christ.

6. Paul specifically named the "sabbath" as something we are not to permit ourselves to be judged about, "Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a sabbath". (Col 2:16, RSV)
"Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Master is able to make him stand. One man esteems one day as better than another, while another man esteems all days alike. Let every one be fully convinced in his own mind." (Rom 14:4-5, RSV)

From Fausset's Bible Dictionary -
"The early church met to break bread on the first day (Act 20:7); it was the day for laying by of alms for the poor (1Co 16:2). No formal decree changed the Sabbath from the seventh to the first day; this would only have offended the Jews and weak Christians.
At first both days were kept. But when Judaizing Christians wished to bring Christians under the bondage of the law, and the Jews became open antagonists of the church, the observance of the Jewish Sabbath was tacitly laid aside, and the Lord's day alone was kept; see Col 2:16. Moses, the law's representative, could not lead Israel into Canaan. The law leads to Christ, there its office ceases: it is Jesus, the Antitype of Joshua, who leads us into the heavenly rest (Heb 4:8-9)."
Thank you for your mish mash of man's ideas.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
You think I'm cherry picking scripture? You said the early church didn't meet on Sunday. I gave a verse refuting that. That's not cherry picking...it's quoting scripture. It doesn't fit with your theology so you reject it. Fine by me.
NOW ANSWER THE QUESTION?

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations
This means everyone goes and makes disciples, including you and me.

"And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached throughout the whole world, as a testimony to all nations; and then the end will come. (Matt 24:14 RSV)
The end hasn't come yet, so we must continue the work of evangelism.

A faithful evangelist once said, "There are only two kinds of Christians:

1. Those who talk about the lost.

2. Those who talk to the lost."

Consider Romans 10:14:

“How, then, can they call on the one in whom they have not believed? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard?”

In other words, how do you expect the lost to be saved if they've never heard the Gospel? This is where we come in. We are to simply share the Gospel with others and let the Holy Spirit do the rest.

What about the work and office of "evangelist"? The word is found only 3 times in the NT -

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;" (Eph 4:11 KJV)
When I think of evangelists, I think of Billy Graham. Although he was a professional evangelist and preacher, he had others who weren't professionals right alongside him. He taught others to preach the Gospel and share their faith, making him a teacher as well.

Do the evangelists get grouped with the extra-ordinary offices like apostles and prophets which cease with the apostolic age, or do they continue in the church as pastors and teachers? I believe the office of evangelist was a temporary office, but the work was to be carried on as follows -

Paul writes to Timothy in one of the pastoral epistles -

"But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry." (2Tim 4:5 KJV)
Unfortunately, there are few pastors today who do the work of an evangelist. Instead, most are hiding behind their pulpits. Surprisingly, I don't take issue with this as long as the rest of us are allowed to perform the work of the Great Commission.

I have a few amazing resources in mind to help ease the burden of witnessing to others. They are written by pastors who make it their mission to share the Gospel on the streets of their cities. PM me if you would like that info as I am not allowed to link it here.