How is your relationship with your parents?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Princesse

Feb 16, 2020
We have a close knit family. They’ve supported my calling from the start and encourage its pursuit. I’ve lived on my own as an adult and that’s my preference. But it hasn’t diminished our relationship. My mother’s sister is one of my closest friends.

My relationship with my daughter is similar but deeper too. We’re soul companions and doing life together is immensely fun. She lives at home and will remain until she marries. I’m enjoying watching her grow and our conversations are meaty and filled with laughter. We have a good time and do so every day. She’s not the sort to bury herself in a room. We’ve always related in this manner.

Our primary aim is developing her business, getting her out of the workforce and home full-time. This allows her to build her nest in preparation for marriage and family. She’s coming along with me while I’m overseas. The adventure is part of her development and she’ll pursue studies and experiences to further her goals.

I’m looking forward to her settling down, securing a home and the numerous firsts which follow. But right now, we’re enjoying our days and delighting in God’s plans for us each. Developing greater wisdom and discernment is what I impart the most. So she’ll follow suit.

My assistance is more visionary. She’s learning the hallmarks of lifestyle design and its role in providing the life she seeks. To alleviate wishful thinking, Through planning and active engagement, she’s discovering the results of constancy and staying the course God sets.

The peace and contentment it fostered is nice. She never mentions singleness. She lives in the moment. And she’s known to camp out in my bed every now and then.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
My father has passed on but mom and I talk almost every day. We are very different and that is a good thing. We both learn so much from each other. She is an incredible woman and I am honoured that she is my mom.

KhedetOrthos

Dec 13, 2019
I know with modern financial situations, unless you have a great job then you may not be out of your parent’s home. And for some the attempt to be on your own was attempted, but you ended up having to go back home. I’m in the former, I never left home.

No matter your situation, do you find yourself still being assisted by your family? If so, is it just emotional support? Do they watch your kids? How has your relationship evolved?

Partly this in curiosity, because if indeed God does end up having me leave home...I’m wondering how things will change.
Neither of my parents is a Christian; my father passed away years ago. We never really got along after my conversion. My mother and I get along well enough I suppose, although she is now of an age where she needs a lot of help and refuses to leave the town she lived in (halfway across the country) so it limits what I can do.

The nature of life seems to be that parents care for children as they grow into adulthood and mature children care for elderly parents as they near the end of life. The refusal to accept appropriate roles at appropriate times seems to be the biggest obstacle to parent-child relationships.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I know with modern financial situations, unless you have a great job then you may not be out of your parent’s home. And for some the attempt to be on your own was attempted, but you ended up having to go back home. I’m in the former, I never left home.

No matter your situation, do you find yourself still being assisted by your family? If so, is it just emotional support? Do they watch your kids? How has your relationship evolved?

Partly this in curiosity, because if indeed God does end up having me leave home...I’m wondering how things will change.
My relationship with my parents was never as good as it could have been.. Pretty hard to grow up in an indifferent and denegrating home.. But as the scriptures declare..

Romans 8: KJV
28 "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

Maybe if i had a great relationship with my parents then i would never have felt the deep need to find and get close to My loving Father in heaven.. :)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Neither of my parents is a Christian; my father passed away years ago. We never really got along after my conversion. My mother and I get along well enough I suppose, although she is now of an age where she needs a lot of help and refuses to leave the town she lived in (halfway across the country) so it limits what I can do.

The nature of life seems to be that parents care for children as they grow into adulthood and mature children care for elderly parents as they near the end of life. The refusal to accept appropriate roles at appropriate times seems to be the biggest obstacle to parent-child relationships.
I think with non christian parents is many think its the childs job to look after them when it ought to be the reverse. I know many children who grow up so fast because they have to look after their parents and be responsible for them, they may be ill or they may just be emotionally dependent on them.

In immigrant families the children are also looked on as the translator and english speaker. for some it is a huge burden to place on a child...to expect them to be the wife or husband as well and eventually breadwinner, just messes up the relationship.

In the Bible, the parents are meant to lay up for the children, not the children for the parents.