How Long Was A Creation Day?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
Simple answer 24 hours was the length of a creation day.

Nov 3, 2014
"What is your textual evidence for this statement? Genesis 1:1 in the beginning, is actually referring to the 6 days that would follow"

I will ask you the same ..... where is your proof?

"Gen. 1:2 does not speak of a deluge"

So what was the great deep .... pudding .... a big hole in the ground ..... some sort of a metaphor?

There are some who read the Lord's word and actually learn His views rather than others blabbing about their own imaginations

Your very approach, demeanor, and initial open criticism exposes you as one who comes to tear a part, breakdown, and destroy like some kind of a pit bull with a chip [attached some place]

When I see this kind behavior I know that your views are not from the Creator at a glance from the get go and that you are up to no good thing

The likes of you are easy to spot and anything you say is of no value to anyone

What are you trying in vane to prove?

I can tell you that on matters of creation that you have lost the game before you come on to the field

.... not to mention the fact that what you have said so far is not even on the chart

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2014
"For me, I don't think the creation story of seven days was meant to be taken literally"

Has the Lord revealed this to you, or are you just guessing?

Let me ask you this .... why is the earth the only planet in the solar system of the earth that can support life forms ..... why are all of the others uninhabitable?

Do you think that He created them as void waste lands in the beginning?

K

Kerry

"For me, I don't think the creation story of seven days was meant to be taken literally"

Let me ask you this .... why is the earth the only planet in the solar system of the earth that can support life forms ..... why are all of the others uninhabitable?

Of course not and neither did He create an Earth that was void and full of darkness. Some can't see it but, everything God creates is good. The Earth in the Hebrew "became" void and full of darkness witch lines up with Jeremiah 4 I think it's 4 it might be 5. Any ways there was stuff here before us and that's what science is digging up and come to the false conclusion of evolution.

S

sealchan

I believe that He has. I became a believer, a Christian, in large part through a particular experience I had when I found myself arguing with God, rewriting the creation story in Genesis in my own words. As a result of that dialog with God, I came to realize the power and value of His word. I also realized that no words can ever truly encompass the fullness of God, that the reality of God and His creation will always supersede anything we could write or say about him except in the context of each of our spirits struggling to know Him and the world He has created. The stories in the Bible were told by sinners all in an effort to preserve their knowledge of God and what He wants, but they who spoke these originally oral stories to those who wrote down these stories were not perfect. And they who translated these stories and I who read and perceive these stories do so with more or less of the passion of my spirit that I have at my disposal at any given moment. Who am I to know whether I perfectly perceive what was imperfectly meant? But I believe!

K

Kerry

No, the creation days were 7. Just that the heavens and the Earth were created long before the 7

T

Tintin

"What is your textual evidence for this statement? Genesis 1:1 in the beginning, is actually referring to the 6 days that would follow"

So what was the great deep .... pudding .... a big hole in the ground ..... some sort of a metaphor?

There are some who read the Lord's word and actually learn His views rather than others blabbing about their own imaginations

Your very approach, demeanor, and initial open criticism exposes you as one who comes to tear a part, breakdown, and destroy like some kind of a pit bull with a chip [attached some place]

When I see this kind behavior I know that your views are not from the Creator at a glance from the get go and that you are up to no good thing

The likes of you are easy to spot and anything you say is of no value to anyone

I can tell you that on matters of creation that you have lost the game before you come on to the field

.... not to mention the fact that what you have said so far is not even on the chart
I don't see it that way at all. We're called to be bold in proclaiming God's truth and to challenge, encourage and support our brothers and sisters. But if one of us is saying something contrary to God's Word, it should be corrected in love. Why are you so adamant in supporting something that doesn't jive with the Bible?

Sep 16, 2014
Of course not and neither did He create an Earth that was void and full of darkness. Some can't see it but, everything God creates is good. The Earth in the Hebrew "became" void and full of darkness witch lines up with Jeremiah 4 I think it's 4 it might be 5. Any ways there was stuff here before us and that's what science is digging up and come to the false conclusion of evolution.
I took a pottery class because a relative gifted me a membership. I actually enjoyed it, doing something new. I suspect she had some esoteric motive for my betterment. I made a bowl out of special clay from Georgia that was mixed with other ingredients. The raw vase looked great, but the instructor told me it wasn't finished. There were lots of steps to finish what I but started.

Even God starts some projects in stages. His plan of salvation was revealed over a period of several thousands of years. He made a raw earth, a globe of molten core with granite and basalt to contain it. He designed geologic processes to transform all that into a finished product, added light, air, water to make seas, soil, then populated those with forms of life. There's nothing there to say there was a former earth with life in, on or above it. It all happened like and when God testified. He is no deceiver, holding back on earth's history. He is not a liar like man. He is not overwhelmed with fantasies.

I do agree with you if you mean "stuff" preceded man by a few 24 hour days as we know them. There's no reason to require God the Creator to need eons to do anything significant. God said He did it all by words He spoke, not natural processes.

But some of His creation takes only a nanosecond or less. He made Jesus on the words of his mother agreeing with words delivered by an angel. That spanned a twinkling of an eye moment to bring him to her womb.

Real science is looking at the same dug-up stuff the atheist scientists are looking at. The atheists look at facts to satisfy their need to ignore God. Christians who are equals in science fields can look at the same things and see the evidence for creation as God reported. So naturally they like to interpret the facts to support evolution, towards the end of making man but a descendant of animals. Well, the Bible record says the animals were created, then specifically man was created. God is not in agreement that man came from animals, but that He went back to the soil for origination of mankind. Man is in his own class of creation, not an offshoot of origination of animals. Man is not in any way an animal. The only link man has to animals is Creator God.

K

Kerry

So your beef with me is what?

Sep 16, 2014
No, the creation days were 7. Just that the heavens and the Earth were created long before the 7
Actually it was that....you have no scriptural or scientific basis for that statement.

C

Calminian

I offered my textual proof in the post you're responding to. re'shyth can and often does refer to a beginning period rather than a single point in time. In regard to kings the word is often used to speak of the beginning of their reigns and then the text goes on to explain details of that beginning period. A good example is Jer. 27.

Scripture tells us, in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Then it takes us from formless and void, to the formation and filling of the heavens and earth, it's quite obvious, this is the beginning scripture was referring to in verse 1.

Then Moses sums up everything saying, "in six days God created the heavens and earth and sea and all that is in them....." (Ex. 20:11) This makes the gap theory impossible. I was a gapper for many years, until really studying the issue.

It was created waters—massive amounts of water. These were the primordial waters God used to build everything. The volume was massive, and thus, deep is a good way to describe them.

Actually, none of that is necessary to refute the long discredited gap theory. Christ did it in a single statement.

Mark 10:6 “But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’

If the gap theory is true, billions of years separate the beginning from Adam and Eve. They were not made from the beginning of creation, but toward the very end. Biblically speaking, Adam and Eve were part of the beginning referenced in Gen. 1:1. There's no way around it.

Rather than judging the motives of someone I've never met, I'll instead judge your claims by the word of God. I have no interest in making personal attacks against you.

That the gap theory is a fallacious attempt to fit billions of years into Genesis. It's really as simple as that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
If the gap theory is true, billions of years separate the beginning from Adam and Eve. They were not made from the beginning of creation, but toward the very end. Biblically speaking, Adam and Eve were part of the beginning referenced in Gen. 1:1. There's no way around it.
Many Christians believe in a previous earth age. Thus, "In the beginning" is a description of the beginning of everything we know today. God had no beginning, so when Jesus said "at the beginning of creation", many consider the context to be limited to the beginning of man in the flesh. So the concept is that God created the heaven and the earth, but things went bad and God destroyed it. Then God created (rejuvenated) the earth and it was good again, but it went bad and God will destroy it again. Third times a charm :) In any respect, imo the gap theory is an alternative interpretation that does make sense. Its possible that there were 2 different beginnings separated by eons of time, and another "new beginning" to come.

Last edited:

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Bible says an evening and a morning....you figure it out......

C

Calminian

Many Christians believe in a previous earth age. Thus, "In the beginning" is a description of the beginning of everything we know today. God had no beginning, so when Jesus said "at the beginning of creation", many consider the context to be limited to the beginning of man in the flesh. So the concept is that God created the heaven and the earth, but things went bad and God destroyed it. Then God created (rejuvenated) the earth and it was good again, but it went bad and God will destroy it again. Third times a charm :) In any respect, imo the gap theory is an alternative interpretation that does make sense. Its possible that there were 2 different beginnings separated by eons of time, and another "new beginning" to come.
Oh I understand their thinking and their motives. I'm a former gapper. I thought it made perfect sense. But there is no pre-earth age. There's nothing in Genesis or anywhere else to validate it.

Furthermore, Satan fell in the Garden of Eden according to Ezekiel 28. There's no hint of a luciferian fall billions of years prior to Adam's fall.

Now you say God created the heavens and earth, and then later made man. But says God created the earth sea and heavens, in six days (Ex. 20:11). Think about it. If the heavens existed prior and God remade all the stars a short time ago, you still as a gapper have all the same problems young earthers have (if you call conflicts with science a problem. I personally don't.)

Now if you can work all that out in your mind more power to you. But why invent a gap, when you can solve everything by accepting the young earth creationism that Jesus did?