How many people in the Bible saw an angel?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
An angel met Hagar in the desert and told her that
she was going to give birth to Ishmael. (Genesis 16:7-12)

An angel of God was sent to oppose Balaam and take his life. (Numbers 22:21-35)

An angel brought food to Elijah. (1 Kings 19:5-7)

An angel struck down the entire army of Assyria and
delivered God’s people from them. (2 Kings 19:35, Isaiah 37:36)

God sent an angel to punish Jerusalem. (2 Samuel 24:16-17, 1 Chronicles 21:15)

An angel of God shut the lions’ mouths and kept them
from hurting the prophet Daniel. (Daniel 6:22)

The angel Gabriel announced to Zacharias that his wife
Elisabeth was going to get pregnant. (Luke 1:11-22)

Gabriel also announced to Mary her pregnancy and that she was
going to give birth to Jesus Christ, the Son of God. (Luke 1:26-38)

An angel announced the good news about Jesus’s birth to the shepherds. (Luke 2:8-15)

An angel instructed Joseph about what he should do regarding Mary
and the baby Jesus. (Matthew 1:20, Matthew 2:13, Matthew 2:19-20)

Angels told the women that Christ Jesus had resurrected
from the dead. (Matthew 28:2-7, Luke 24:4-5)

An angel strengthened Jesus while He was praying in
the Garden of Gethsemane before His arrest. (Luke 22:43)

An angel opened the prison doors and took the
apostle Peter and the others out. (Acts 5:19-20)

An angel of the Lord told Philip to go to the desert. (Acts 8:26)

An angel instructed Cornelius to invite the apostle
Peter to come to his house. (Acts 10:3-8,22)

An angel of the Lord took King Herod’s life. (Acts 12:21-23)

An angel told Paul that he and the sailors were
going to survive the shipwreck. (Acts 27:23-24)

John wrote the book of Revelation to record what
an angel of God had shown him. (Revelation 1:1-2)

There may be more :unsure:source

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
Actually Sister your first entry at Genesis 16:7 was not an actual angel. It was the pre-incarnate Jesus Christ known in the Old Testament as "The angle of the Lord." At Genesis 16:10 he multiplies Hagar's descendants. You are right that he told Hagar that she would have a son which is what we know today as the Arabs.

Also notice at Genesis 16:13 she called the name of the Lord who spoke to her, "Thou art a God who sees. At Genesis 17:1-2 says, "Now when Abram was ninety-nine years old the Lord APPEARED to Abram and said to him, "I am God Almighty; Walk before Me, and be blameless. Vs2, And I will establish My covenant between Me and you, And I will multiply you exceedingly."

The same being that multiplied Hagar's descendants is the same being who identified Himself as God Almighty multiplied Abram's descendants. As a side note you should know that "The angel of the Lord" never appears in the New Testament as the angel of the Lord. Keep up the good work!

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Actually Sister your first entry at Genesis 16:7 was not an actual angel. It was the pre-incarnate Jesus Christ known in the Old Testament as "The angle of the Lord." At Genesis 16:10 he multiplies Hagar's descendants. You are right that he told Hagar that she would have a son which is what we know today as the Arabs.

Also notice at Genesis 16:13 she called the name of the Lord who spoke to her, "Thou art a God who sees. At Genesis 17:1-2 says, "Now when Abram was ninety-nine years old the Lord APPEARED to Abram and said to him, "I am God Almighty; Walk before Me, and be blameless. Vs2, And I will establish My covenant between Me and you, And I will multiply you exceedingly."

The same being that multiplied Hagar's descendants is the same being who identified Himself as God Almighty multiplied Abram's descendants. As a side note you should know that "The angel of the Lord" never appears in the New Testament as the angel of the Lord. Keep up the good work!

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto
Thank you, Bluto! :D

Hagar actually had two encounters :) 2nd one in Genesis 21:15-19, after she left with Ishmael ~

15 When the water in the skin was gone, she put the boy under one of the bushes. 16 Then she went off and sat
down about a bowshot away, for she thought, “I cannot watch the boy die.” And as she sat there, she began to sob.

17 God heard the boy crying, and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her,
“What is the matter, Hagar? Do not be afraid; God has heard the boy crying as he lies there.
18 Lift the boy up and take him by the hand, for I will make him into a great nation.”

19 Then God opened her eyes and she saw a well of water. So
she went and filled the skin with water and gave the boy a drink.

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
That is correct at Genesis 21:15-19. It is interesting that the angel of the Lord calls out from heaven when God Himself calls out from heaven as well at Exodus 20:22. Check out Genesis 22:10-18 which is a real eye-opener.

IN THE ANGEL OF THE LORD,
bluto

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
How many people in the Bible saw an angel?
it’s hard to say . Or even if we’ve seen them

“Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭13:2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

jb

Feb 27, 2010
I did a blog on "The Angel of The Lord," for those interested you can find it Here

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
We tend to get hung up on our angels...
However they often weren't exactly as glamourous as we would like to think.
No cell phones or radios back then. And the message runner was often a slave. Because Angels were just messengers carrying messages from important people.

In Hebrew the plural form of both Kings and Messengers is spelled identically. Singular is different but plural is the same.

The book of Kings discussed prophets and kings of Israel in equal measure. One was glamourous and the other inglorious. There's a reason for that. It's a double entendre and word game in Hebrew. Sticks in your head.

A messenger from God can be anything from an animal to a worm to a heavenly creature...and ALL points in between.

We tend to get obsessive about such things and imaginative. But like the story of Gideon when he talked with The Angel of The Lord...they looked just like a normal person. No one special. Until a slow realization was that this person was not exactly what they seemed and urinating your pants seems unavoidable.

Overall in scripture the women seemed to deal with the heavenly messengers better than the men. Just saying...

CS1

May 23, 2012
We tend to get hung up on our angels...
However they often weren't exactly as glamourous as we would like to think.
No cell phones or radios back then. And the message runner was often a slave. Because Angels were just messengers carrying messages from important people.

In Hebrew the plural form of both Kings and Messengers is spelled identically. Singular is different but plural is the same.

The book of Kings discussed prophets and kings of Israel in equal measure. One was glamourous and the other inglorious. There's a reason for that. It's a double entendre and word game in Hebrew. Sticks in your head.

A messenger from God can be anything from an animal to a worm to a heavenly creature...and ALL points in between.

We tend to get obsessive about such things and imaginative. But like the story of Gideon when he talked with The Angel of The Lord...they looked just like a normal person. No one special. Until a slow realization was that this person was not exactly what they seemed and urinating your pants seems unavoidable.

Overall in scripture the women seemed to deal with the heavenly messengers better than the men. Just saying...
I thought Abraham did very well

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
I thought Abraham did very well
He DID! Isaac meaning "laugh" was one result of that meeting.
Lot met two of the three and didn't fare quite as well. Didn't offer food or water or wine... didn't really get the same relationship out of it all either. He was trying but just didn't handle it well at all...not as well as Abraham did for sure.

Because of the meal Abraham served God himself (instead of the hired help)... Abraham became known as God's Friend. And that was an amazing feat in and of itself.
Jesus was known as "the Friend of Sinners" .
Both are amazing feats of course.
Lazarus, Mary, and Martha as well as all 11 Apostles were Jesus' friends.

To be someone God calls a friend...
How awesome would that be?