How many spirits in godhead?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 12, 2019

Which of the following is true?
1 god - 1 spirit - 1 person
1 god - 1 spirit - 3 person
1 god - 3 spirit - 3 person
3 god - 3 spirit - 3 person

theanointedwinner

Nov 6, 2018
God is love, so more than one person, to express love to each of other

One God, one essence, multiple people, in the union of one spirit

So 1 - 1 - 3

S

Stranger36147

The books of Isaiah and Revelation talk about there being seven spirits of God. I think that's interesting.

PS

Jan 11, 2013

You are looking at it wrong. We are made in the image of God, and so are like Him. Speaking for myself, I am Father, Son, and flesh. God is Father, Son, and Spirit.

I am One, God is One.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

The question i have is what is your definition of the world Person ?

Mar 12, 2019
The question i have is what is your definition of the world Person ?
I am trying to get the definition of 'person' in godhead.
When people say 3 persons or 1 person, what it actually means?

* 3 distinct nature.
* 3 distinct wills.
* 1 flesh.
* how many distinct spirits in godhead? 1 or 3?

Or do you have any better definition for 'person' in godhead?

MEENA89

May 29, 2019
ISAIAH 11:2

2 The Spirit of the LORD will rest on Him— the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and strength, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
A person is a being with specific attributes, and in the case of the Godhead there are three divine Persons, yet one God.

The Father is a Spirit (John 4:24), yet He is depicted as being visible on His throne (Dan 7).
The Son is now in a glorious and glorified body (Rev 1).
The Holy Spirit is Spirit, and is also depicted as the Seven Spirits of God (Rev 4:5).

The Bible also says regarding Christ, that "For in Him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily" (Col 2:9). Furthermore when Christ was on earth, He said that He was also in Heaven at the same time (John 3:13). These things cannot be grasped or explained with the human mind, since they are spiritual realities.

Christians need to be careful by understanding that all of this is the Mystery of God, and the Mystery of Godliness.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
God is one, but He is expressed in 3 ways.
The father, creator, ruler, the Son, His word, His creative ability that which brought everything into being,
His Spirit, the essence of who God is, His heart, His direction, His thoughts and desires.

All three aspects are expressed separately and yet together.
Because all three are eternal they are God, yet equally they are not the same.

How this mystery is tied together we could speculate, except it is driven by what we know not what
we understand. As they are not 3 gods, but 1, there is only 1 Spirit, the Holy Spirit.

In this analogy, in a sense Jesus always had the Holy Spirit, because the Holy Spirit is His Spirit.
In this case the anointing by the Holy Spirit on Jesus at His baptism was an anointing of ministry
and not a new in dwelling of the Holy Spirit because that is always present in Him.

Equally Jesus sent the Holy Spirit at Pentecost as as anointing, because the disciples had been
already been filled with the Spirit when Jesus appeared to them in the upper room.

22 And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit."
John 20

So Pentecost was a sign of anointing and not the first receiving of the Holy Spirit.

Mar 12, 2019
A person is a being with specific attributes, and in the case of the Godhead there are three divine Persons, yet one God.

The Father is a Spirit (John 4:24), yet He is depicted as being visible on His throne (Dan 7).
The Son is now in a glorious and glorified body (Rev 1).
The Holy Spirit is Spirit, and is also depicted as the Seven Spirits of God (Rev 4:5).

The Bible also says regarding Christ, that "For in Him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily" (Col 2:9). Furthermore when Christ was on earth, He said that He was also in Heaven at the same time (John 3:13). These things cannot be grasped or explained with the human mind, since they are spiritual realities.

Christians need to be careful by understanding that all of this is the Mystery of God, and the Mystery of Godliness.
Does it mean, three distinct devine Spirits? Or one devine Spirit in three persons? Or something different?

Mar 12, 2019
God is one, but He is expressed in 3 ways.
The father, creator, ruler, the Son, His word, His creative ability that which brought everything into being,
His Spirit, the essence of who God is, His heart, His direction, His thoughts and desires.

All three aspects are expressed separately and yet together.
Because all three are eternal they are God, yet equally they are not the same.

How this mystery is tied together we could speculate, except it is driven by what we know not what
we understand. As they are not 3 gods, but 1, there is only 1 Spirit, the Holy Spirit.

In this analogy, in a sense Jesus always had the Holy Spirit, because the Holy Spirit is His Spirit.
In this case the anointing by the Holy Spirit on Jesus at His baptism was an anointing of ministry
and not a new in dwelling of the Holy Spirit because that is always present in Him.

Equally Jesus sent the Holy Spirit at Pentecost as as anointing, because the disciples had been
already been filled with the Spirit when Jesus appeared to them in the upper room.

22 And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit."
John 20

So Pentecost was a sign of anointing and not the first receiving of the Holy Spirit.
Father is a Spirit.
Jesus should have a Spirit in him (not the Holy Spirit filling him)
Holy Spirit is a Spirit.

All the above three spirits, are they same or different?

Mar 12, 2019
You are looking at it wrong. We are made in the image of God, and so are like Him. Speaking for myself, I am Father, Son, and flesh. God is Father, Son, and Spirit.

I am One, God is One.
So your answer is 1 god, 1 spirit, 1 person?

PS

Jan 11, 2013
So your answer is 1 god, 1 spirit, 1 person?
That is not what I said.

I said "God is One."

Let me expand: God is One Tripartite being.

It should not be hard to understand when you consider that we are also Tripartite beings made in the image of God, comprising Body, Soul, and Spirit, and the last time I looked in the mirror, I was One person.

Mar 12, 2019
That is not what I said.

I said "God is One."

It should not be hard to understand when you consider that we are also Tripartite beings made in the image of God, comprising Body, Soul, and Spirit, and the last time I looked in the mirror, I was One person.
God is one - most of us know it.
Question is, how many spirits in that one god?
In other words - Father, Son, Holy Spirit - are they 1 spirit or 3 spirits?

You are 1 person and you have 1 spirit (ignoring the concept of holy spirit filling you)

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Does it mean, three distinct devine Spirits? Or one devine Spirit in three persons? Or something different?
Or something different would be correct.

Don't try to find a rational explanation for things which are supernatural and beyond human understanding. We are simply expected to believe what has been revealed.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
God is one - most of us know it.
Question is, how many spirits in that one god?
In other words - Father, Son, Holy Spirit - are they 1 spirit or 3 spirits?

You are 1 person and you have 1 spirit (ignoring the concept of holy spirit filling you)
There is ONE God who is Spirit. It is the same Spirit that created the heavens and the earth. It was the same Spirit that dwelt in Jesus, in Whom all the fullness of the Deity dwells in bodily form, (Col 2:9) and it is the same Spirit, the Comforter, who is with us today.

Mar 12, 2019
There is ONE God who is Spirit. It is the same Spirit that created the heavens and the earth. It was the same Spirit that dwelt in Jesus, in Whom all the fullness of the Deity dwells in bodily form, (Col 2:9) and it is the same Spirit, the Comforter, who is with us today.
So you mean - 1 god, 1 spirit, 3 person?

Dec 12, 2013

GOD is SPIRIT end of story.....manifested three ways just as we are............

J

jaybird88

That is not what I said.

I said "God is One."

i dont think we are anything like that. Jesus is a stand alone being, the Father is a stand alone being, they both act independently of one another. i dont know of any person here in this world that can go to work while at the same time his other self goes to the store and his third self works in the back yard.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I am trying to get the definition of 'person' in godhead.
When people say 3 persons or 1 person, what it actually means?

* 3 distinct nature.
* 3 distinct wills.
* 1 flesh.
* how many distinct spirits in godhead? 1 or 3?

I see the Father and the Son as manifestations of God..

The Father is God manifested in Heaven
The Son is God manifested in the flesh
The Holy Spirit to me is God..

In the following verse we see Jesus described as God..

1 Timothy 3: KJV
16 "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."

I see all three existing at the same time and being One..