How old is the earth?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
<< Creationist here>> I see no real evidence that the earth is old. If earth is old then moon would be old.

First men on moon went in a LEM.......the LEM was built on large pods so it would not sink, they hoped, into the dust of the moon which was supposed to be at least 5 feet deep IF the moon was actually billions or even millions of years old. When the astronaughts landed, there was about 2 inches of dust. ergo: young moon, young earth
This old argument has been debunked.

Try and keep up.

luigi

Dec 6, 2015
"Scientists" used to say earth was several million years old. Since they couldn't test that theory against reality, they came up with a ew theory......the earth was now BILLIONS of years old!

Our SUN is getting smaller, miniscule amounts every year.
TAke that fact back a billion years or more, ......the sun would have been MUCH larger,...intense hear.....unable to sustain life of any kind, earth would be only a dead piece of rock..........no wait..........not even that..........if the sun was THAT big.....earth would have been a cinder.
You can pick up geology books written about 20 years ago which describe the earths first epoch, the Hadean with the earth being a ball of molten magma for its first 750 million years.
We now know from some 4.404 billion year old zircon crystals having O18 isotopes that the earth was covered in seas and oceans no more than 162 million years after the earths hypothetical inception some 4.566 billion years ago.
This gives more credence to the scripture which states the Lord's Spirit hovering above the waters of a formless earth.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Check out the YEC sites that now no longer support this dusty old "theory" BigSmile.gif

J

jaybird88

So, no one believes in evolution? Are all Scientists lying or just wrong?
i believe in evolution. the roadrunner is a nonflying bird, at one time it flew but over time the bird adapted to its environment and eventually it evolved to a nonflying bird.
i dont get how this would be against the natural order of the Most High or the bible.

luigi

Dec 6, 2015

THE OLD EARTH (GAP) THEORY

To better understand what the Bible really says, about the age of the earth, we must critically inspect the translation accuracy of our modern Bibles. “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: And there was light” (Genesis 1:1-3). The Hebrew word hâyâh translated to the first "was" in Genesis 1:2, can just as easily mean "became." Verse one is a general statement that depicts the creation: A perfect and complete work at the very time it was done. God would not create an uneven, disorderly world. In verse two, we could say that, somehow, the earth "became" without form and void. Translated from the Hebrew, are the words for "without form" (tôhûw) and "void" (bôhûw). In their original tongue, both these words basically mean the same thing: Empty or desolate. Enter the "gap theory," which states: There could have been multiple thousands of years between the time "in the beginning," when God did the creating in Genesis 1:1; and Genesis 1:2, when the earth was (or became) empty and desolate. In essence then, the creation depicted in Genesis chapter 1, after verse 1, constitutes a re-creation. This is also called the “old earth” doctrine.

I believe in the gap theory, as it aligns with the true picture given us in other places in scripture. Satan had already fallen by the time he got to the Garden of Eden (see Ezekiel 28:12-16). Also consider the following:

“And it shall come to pass in the day that the Lord shall give thee rest from thy sorrow, and from thy fear, and from the hard bondage wherein thou wast made to serve, that thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, how hath the oppressor ceased! The golden city ceased! The Lord hath broken the staff of the wicked, and the sceptre of the rulers. He who smote the people in wrath with a continual stroke, he that ruled the nations in anger, is persecuted, and none hindereth. The whole earth is at rest, and is quiet: They break forth into singing. Yea, the fir trees rejoice at thee, and the cedars of Lebanon, saying, since thou art laid down, no feller is come up against us. Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: It stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations. All they shall speak and say unto thee, art thou also become weak as we? Art thou become like unto us? Thy pomp is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols: The worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee."

"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit. They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms; that made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners? All the kings of the nations, even all of them, lie in glory, every one in his own house. But thou art cast out of thy grave like an abominable branch, and as the raiment of those that are slain, thrust through with a sword, that go down to the stones of the pit; as a carcase trodden under feet. Thou shalt not be joined with them in burial, because thou hast destroyed thy land, and slain thy people: The seed of evildoers shall never be renowned” (Isaiah 14:3-20).

This Lucifer, turned evil, can be none other than Satan. God was, and still is, casting Satan out of His government. The earth became desolate through gross mismanagement. God had obviously given Satan charge over all the earth, but the devil's rebellious ways brought about a major catastrophe that made an absolute mess of the planet. God then re-created the world and removed Satan from his rulership and placed man in his stead. “And God blessed them [mankind], and God said unto them, be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: And have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth” (Genesis 1:28).

The devil still rules the world system, but he now does it in an indirect way——by influencing man. God had given us the history of the world, as recorded in Genesis, only from the time that man entered into the picture. What had taken place on the earth, before this time, is not fully revealed nor relevant to what God is doing with mankind.
The spirit of Lucifer in people is what causes the earth to become desolate. The beast devours the whole earth (Daniel 7:23). Who do you think fells the cedars in Lebanon, and for what purpose? Isaiah 14:3 and Ezekiel 23:12-16 is prophesy about the end of Satan's spiritual influence through the beast. It is all for the love of material consumption that the beast devours the whole earth.

Daniel 7:23 Thus he said, The fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth, which shall be diverse from all kingdoms, and shall devour the whole earth, and shall tread it down, and break it in pieces.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
<< Creationist here>> I see no real evidence that the earth is old. If earth is old then moon would be old.

First men on moon went in a LEM.......the LEM was built on large pods so it would not sink, they hoped, into the dust of the moon which was supposed to be at least 5 feet deep IF the moon was actually billions or even millions of years old. When the astronaughts landed, there was about 2 inches of dust. ergo: young moon, young earth
Hilarious! The moon has no atmosphere and no geological processes, why would it accumulate a 5 foot thick layer of dust?
The only mechanism for dust accumulating on the moon is the numerous bombardment by asteroids and since these are very violent, most of the debris would be blown into space. The number of impacts have drastically reduced since the solar system stabilised, so the thinness of the dust layer on the moon tells us nothing about it’s age.
But science does not rely on such primitive means for drawing its conclusions. The age of the solar system is deduced from models of how our solar systems formed from a collapsing gas cloud and by dating the age of the sun by examining its chemical content and the rate it burns its fuel to generate energy.
The evidence for the earth being old is so overwhelming and confirmed by so many independent branches of science, that there is literally no debate (in the scientific community) about this. If there were any doubt, the science world would be abuzz, there would be documentaries and discussions. There are none. The matter was done and dusted decades ago.
Now they talk about things they genuinely do not understand, such as dark energy and how to unify relativity and quantum mechanics.
There really is an anti religious bias in the scientific community, but no one can get away with talking rubbish. Fred Hoyle hated the big bang theory because it implied a beginning. Despite this his steady state theory was totally debunked, even though it supports the idea of a God. Why? Because it was bad science.
Creationism has no credibility because it is bad science, not because all scientists hate God.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I am AMAZED at the responses to this post.

The post states that scripture leaves open that the earth could be very old. I repeated over and over that scripture does not say that the earth is 6,000 years old, but it does tell of the world since Adam was created.

The answers are not about what scripture tells us at all, but about personal decisions about how old the earth is. The only mention of scripture backing for this is the statements that they know the earth is 6,000 years old and nothing about what I am basing my belief that scripture does not tell us the age but leaves open that the earth itself could be, according to God's word, very old.

One person told us that science and scripture work well together, that scientist explore God's work. Scripture is not a scientific document, explaining how God created all. It is a spiritual document explaining God. People try to make it a scientific document when that is not God's purpose in giving us scripture.

I felt it was called for to speak to the people saying science and scripture were at odds, with some people saying science was our leader for our thinking. Science can be looked at to help us understand what scripture is telling us. But it is not a help to Christians if they insist on using scripture as a scientific document. It is important to tell these people that scripture leaves open the idea of an old earth, there is no statement in scripture that would dispute that. Scripture does not tell us the age of the earth because that is not important to our scriptural growth.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
It’s a good job none of this matters. A christian must have faith, but not faith in the age of the earth! God wrote the scripture and we all understand and interpret it in our own way. Some literally, others treating it as a metaphor for the same truth. The point is we all believe in Christ and that is beyond price. For those with no time for science, I think you are the poorer, but science will pass away. God bless all of you, even the creationists!

Quantrill

Sep 20, 2018
It’s a good job none of this matters. A christian must have faith, but not faith in the age of the earth! God wrote the scripture and we all understand and interpret it in our own way. Some literally, others treating it as a metaphor for the same truth. The point is we all believe in Christ and that is beyond price. For those with no time for science, I think you are the poorer, but science will pass away. God bless all of you, even the creationists!
The Scripture, whether you like it or not, is not given to you to interpret your own way.

God is the Author of all science. He expects man to study and learn and subdue the earth and learn all they can of His creation. . (Gen. 1;28) But scientists begin with the belief that there is no God, and they are learning about the universes without God. Thus there can be no 'creation'. Just an evolution. And Christians who are intellectuals and science oriented, feel they must go along with this. So they create their own 'christian belief in evolution'. Which is nothing but saying, I don't have the guts to stand up for God and Christ before my peers.

Quantrill

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Sometimes I just have to read what these "experts" post and know that at least they are good for a laugh.
Proverbs 17:22 New King James Version (NKJV)
A merry heart does good, like medicine,
But a broken spirit dries the bones.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
God knew it didn't matter if we knew how old the earth is but it matters tremendously if we know all about God.

I feel sorry for those who only know scripture literally, and I feel sorry for those who only see scripture spiritually, for God gives all as actual happenings with a spiritual message. The Jewish scholars said that in scripture there are five different messages for us, literal and spiritual understanding are only two.

Nov 18, 2018
Since science is completely based on observation and experimentation in the present, theories on the origin of life can only be disproven. The Genesis account of creation cannot be disproven but there have been numerous field finds that disprove the idea that the universe is millions of years old. Moreover, Jesus said if you would have believed Moses you would have believe me...anyways the earth is about 6000 years old.

Children have no problems understanding the Genesis account of creation, but adults do!

Grace911

Nov 11, 2018
I don't know the age of earth, however based on the ages of men recorded in the Bible, there are several calculations. The Jews calendar states 3761 BCE. 3761 + 2018 = 5779 years. A non-Jew by the name Joseph Dumond, has calculated the beginning to be 3836 BCE. 3836+2018=5854 with over 45 proofs of when past jubilees occurred. Each Jubilee cycle is 49 years and the 50th year is also year 1. If man is only alotted 120 (cycles) the year 2044 is the 49th year of 119 Jubilees and 2045 will be the 120th jubilee. 120 x 49= 5880 years. On Jewish calendar that year 2045 will be 5805.