HOW OLD IS THE EARTH?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Yes, you read well. Some people do not believe that the Bible and theory of evolution contradict. I am not excluding that possibility either, and really don't care what people think about it - neither of us had been there. I can't say the Earth is 6000 or whatever years old with the same certainty that I say yes "Christ is God in flesh and Father sent Him to save us".
If anything, while evolution lacks in fossils to definitely prove their theory imo, I think most of us will agree that adaptation is definitely true and scientifically proven. Adaptation or microevolution is observable. And Biblically, that's how the "kinds" of animals diversified into many species from Noah's ark. Noah didn't pack 5 zillion animals, he packed pairs of various kinds like the Bible says, that later diversified themselves into many species.
I agree completely with your explanation, but I wouldn't for a second call myself (or you) an evolutionist... even a Christian one. There is just way too much baggage with that word.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
I agree completely with your explanation, but I wouldn't for a second call myself (or you) an evolutionist... even a Christian one. There is just way too much baggage with that word.
I see your point, and appreciate that you explained.

E

eternally-gratefull

Yes, you read well. Some people do not believe that the Bible and theory of evolution contradict. I am not excluding that possibility either, and really don't care what people think about it - neither of us had been there. I can't say the Earth is 6000 or whatever years old with the same certainty that I say yes "Jesus Christ is Son of God, Father sent Him to save us".
If anything, while evolution lacks in fossils to definitely prove their theory imo, I think most of us will agree that adaptation is definitely true and scientifically proven. Adaptation or microevolution is observable. And Biblically, that's how the "kinds" of animals diversified into many species from Noah's ark. Noah didn't pack 5 zillion animals, he packed pairs of various kinds like the Bible says, that later diversified themselves into many species.
Evolution and Christianity do not mix, can not mix, and it’s a shame people even think otherwise.

God said he created each kind, that totally excludes evolution of any sort,

if we change out view to try to match the Bible to what we think science says, it is basically caving. Even the man who thought up evolution in the end denied it.

using the word evolution, christian or not, should be avoided at all costs

microevoltion is even a bad term, I believe at creation God write into our dna things which would help later in things, in other words, the dna did not change, but something that was later needed was more prominent, while things which were no longer needed Faded

E

EleventhHour

Yes, you read well. Some people do not believe that the Bible and theory of evolution contradict. I am not excluding that possibility either, and really don't care what people think about it - neither of us had been there. I can't say the Earth is 6000 or whatever years old with the same certainty that I say yes "Jesus Christ is Son of God, Father sent Him to save us".
I believe that speciation is considered part of macroevolution not microevolution within the world of biology.

I do agree that the species did diversify and adapt over time into many different species... "5 zillion animals" .. :D

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Evolution and Christianity do not mix, can not mix, and it’s a shame people even think otherwise.

if we change out view to try to match the Bible to what we think science says, it is basically caving. Even the man who thought up evolution in the end denied it.

using the word evolution, christian or not, should be avoided at all costs

microevoltion is even a bad term, I believe at creation God write into our dna things which would help later in things, in other words, the dna did not change, but something that was later needed was more prominent, while things which were no longer needed Faded
The word "evolution" means "change over time". That said, and following my earlier post, there is too much baggage with the word now for many Christians to countenance it. Perhaps a better word to describe the process is "speciation" which does not require fundamental change.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
This isn't a matter of salvation for us. To the atheists, I am aware why they push it, to them it is, they have been doing it from the beginning because they are angry with God. But I don't think even dust-to-man theory somehow takes intelligence evident in creation out of the table, or eliminates God (they thought). Some people might feel like our faith needs justification or needs to be made more palatable, so they make efforts to match it with current science. But that's not where I'm coming from. Before I was a believer, I would team up with a Christian in the class to debate the biology professor, who was pushing the TOE like a dogma upon us, and dogmatism was something I was always against. They lack transitional fossils, and always have, and committed fraud in the past to fake them. But Christianity likewise gets dogmatic not about basic tenets of faith which you kind of have to brace a little bit to preserve it, but about things that are often down to interpretations and theories, and get very fundamental about this, which I also hate. Just because it is true that Adam and Eve started a real, literal Messianic genealogy in the Bible, people derive many many conclusions around it, that are only presuppositions. We could open a can of worms now because I've got much worse things to say, but this isn't the time or place.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014

That's your opinion, EG. But I can't think that way. (You know I love you though, you're one of my dearest brethren around here.)
If the Bible's ever taught me anything, it's that something that's a seeming contradiction might not actually contradict at all. The Bible has taught me to consider and be careful not to jump to conclusions more than science ever did.
The Earth is probably younger than most of us think, and there are some nice arguments in geology for that. But our ideas and theories what and how happened exactly when I was not even in the making is not going to be my hill to die on.

E

eternally-gratefull

That's your opinion, EG. But I can't think that way. (You know I love you though, you're one of my dearest brethren around here.)
If the Bible's ever taught me anything, it's that something that's a seeming contradiction might not actually contradict at all. The Bible has taught me to consider and be careful not to jump to conclusions more than science ever did.
The Earth is probably younger than most of us think, and there are some nice arguments in geology for that. But our ideas and theories what and how happened exactly when I was not even in the making is not going to be my hill to die on.
Anything that teaches any type of evolution outside of a kind is not founded in scripture, you agree

Dec 12, 2013
No one but God can accurately date the earth!

We can surmise, guess, try to reason it out and at the end of the day.....it does not matter at this time!

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Anything that teaches any type of evolution outside of a kind is not founded in scripture, you agree
I can't be sure about something like that. You may be right. Or maybe not. There's a visual of events that most people imagine in their head when they read Genesis, while I believe the Scripture is 100% true, I don't believe majority of peoples' reimagining of it and the narratives that come from it to have the same authority just because the majority thinks it.

Kind speciation is a fact Biblically first and scientifically second, agree. I am also sure that Adam and Eve were real people who started a real genealogy, which I can be sure from the Biblical context. I go no further than that because I can only defend what I'm sure about. I might say I think something is more or less likely in my opinion, and that's that. The way most people imagine the garden of Eden, the tree, the fruit, etc and what they were exactly and how they looked, I am not on board with a lot of that. I can't force myself to think something to fit in. But unless I find some hard proof for the opposite, I will always concede that the official consensus might be correct. I am not a contentious person who goes around starting topics on BDF to start strife and tell people they are wrong and I'm going to give them "the revelation".

tantalon

Oct 11, 2019
I think that Genesis 1:1 stands alone. That is, it tells us who the creator is that made all things. Genesis verse 2 does not connect with the beginning, but at a time of man's appearance eons later. Man is 6,000 years in residence, but the planet appears very ancient, and from the beginning. Think of the light that we see from the vast galaxies, that light took millions and more light years to get here, signifying that the "beginning" was long, long ago.