How quickly should one forgive?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

How quickly should one forgive?

• Immediately

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • After the pain subsides

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As soon as you feel you can (despite still hurting)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Immediately, and then repeat as many times as necessary

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Only after the offender says sorry (which may be never)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometime before you die

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Wonderland

May 6, 2010
I did my thesis on forgiveness. This is good stuff!

From a counseling standpoint, there are 4 stages to forgiveness. A person does a lot of "emotional work" before the true freedom of forgiveness actually happens. I think a desire to forgive and be free from the poisen of resentment is what God desires from us. In actuality, the moment of "true forgiving" could take months or even years... with the need for forgiveness "boosters" from time to time.

Of course, it all depends on the person, the circumstances, and their life experiences. Forgiveness comes much easier to some than others.

Jul 13, 2009
As soon as you can actually do it. Forgiving someone isn't just saying it, but actually letting go of the anger and other feelings. But one should strive towards forgiving fast, rather than keeping a grudge.

H

hikerki

True forgiveness is something that can only happen when I have a heart of forgiveness. Even though in my mind I want to (and know I am called to) forgive quickly, I cannot always do that. My heart needs to be in it. I have learned that the longer I hold the anger and hurt the harder it is to forgive, because the anger and hurt turns into hatred. Hate is an ugly thing with a long healing process. Forgiveness is needed to continue and complete the healing process and live according to God's word. One cannot truly heal without forgiveness.