"how that Christ died for our sins"

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 24, 2012
1 Corinthians 15:3 - For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

What do these words mean?

Sep 24, 2012
In case it isn't clear, I'm basically asking what it means that Christ died for our sins.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
In case it isn't clear, I'm basically asking what it means that Christ died for our sins.
Heb 1:3, Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when HE HAD BY HIMSELF "PURGED" (cast out, cause, commit + content, continue, deal, + without any delay) our sins. Jesus purged the sins of those that his Father gave to him, without any help from man, on the cross, without any delay, which made us holy and without blame. Jesus accomplished eternal salvation for all that his Father gave him on the cross. His sacrifice was an offering to God, for God's acceptance. Not to man, for man's acceptance.

Jan 12, 2019
You can understand it another way by contrasting it to what Peter was preaching to the Jews

In fact, not only did Peter not preach the divine exchange aspect of Jesus’s cruxifiction on the cross, one constant theme he hammered to his Jewish listeners was that they were responsible for crucifying Jesus.

Examples were Acts 2:36, where Peter says, "... Jesus, whom ye crucified ...." Peter also says in Acts 3:14-15, "But ye denied the Holy One ... and killed the Prince of life ...." Then in Acts 5:30 he says, "... Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree."

Finally Stephen, who also preached Peter's gospel, told the Jews in Acts 7:52, "Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers ...."

OneOfHis

Mar 24, 2019
1 Corinthians 15:3 - For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

Our sins are commited against God Himself.

God is righteous, He is just, He will bring justice to injustice. He will punish wickedness.

We deserve a just punishment.

God is so loving, He sent His Son and came in the flesh to live a perfect life free of sin.

This perfect righteousness is offered to all who will place their faith in Him. (belief,trust,confidence,fidelity, loyalty)

But justice still needs to be met..... the wages of sin is death.... our punishment will not just vanish even if we were to have stopped sinning....

If a murderer stopped killing... he still deserves justice....

So OUR sin was imputed to Him as well as His righteousness to us.

By Him we not only are GIFTED eternal life by grace through faith having not our own righteousness but the righteousness of Christ.

But SAVED from the just punishment required for sin against such a Holy God.

He died, in place of us. (though He being God overcame death and lives 😁)

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019

They mean, according to the scriptures the religious leaders and Pontius Pilate condemned an innocent man, God in the flesh.

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
You can understand it another way by contrasting it to what Peter was preaching to the Jews

In fact, not only did Peter not preach the divine exchange aspect of Jesus’s cruxifiction on the cross, one constant theme he hammered to his Jewish listeners was that they were responsible for crucifying Jesus.

Examples were Acts 2:36, where Peter says, "... Jesus, whom ye crucified ...." Peter also says in Acts 3:14-15, "But ye denied the Holy One ... and killed the Prince of life ...." Then in Acts 5:30 he says, "... Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree."

Finally Stephen, who also preached Peter's gospel, told the Jews in Acts 7:52, "Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers ...."
Peter also expressed that the Jews killed Jesus when he preached to the Gentiles (Ac 10:39).

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Christ suffered death to pay the penalty for our sins.. the scripture seems to be very clear.. Not sure why you are asking this question? You seem to want to find complexity is things that are very plain and simple..

Jan 12, 2019
Peter also expressed that the Jews killed Jesus when he preached to the Gentiles (Ac 10:39).
Yes, that reinforced my point that Peter's preaching in Acts involve Jesus death as a murder indictment.

He had no understanding of 1 Cor 15:1-4, until nearing his death, when he wrote 1 and 2 Peter.

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
Yes, that reinforced my point that Peter's preaching in Acts involve Jesus death as a murder indictment.

He had no understanding of 1 Cor 15:1-4, until nearing his death, when he wrote 1 and 2 Peter.
Do you mean specifically the part about Christ dying for our sins? If so, how do you think Peter understood what Jesus said to him when speaking about giving his life as a ransom for many? (Mt 20:28; Mk 10:45)

Jan 12, 2019
Do you mean specifically the part about Christ dying for our sins? If so, how do you think Peter understood what Jesus said to him when speaking about giving his life as a ransom for many? (Mt 20:28; Mk 10:45)
But Peter rebuked Jesus privately for telling them he had to die.

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
But Peter rebuked Jesus privately for telling them he had to die.
Those are two separate occasions; nonetheless, Peter definitely didn't fully understand the ramifications of Jesus' eventual crucifixion. To say he had no understanding about Christ dying for our sins until nearing his death, however, is problematic. As a Jew in this time period, Peter understood the sacrificial system. Peter's brother Andrew, a fellow Apostle, was initially one of John's disciples who heard John call Jesus the Lamb of God (Jn 1:35-42). This Lamb was sacrificed for the forgiveness of our sins, something Peter clearly understood very well before the time nearing his death as evidenced in his reply on Shavuot/the day of Pentecost (Ac 2:1,38). It is also clear from Acts 3:18-19, that Peter understood that the Messiah had to suffer for our sins to be wiped out.

Jan 12, 2019
It is also clear from Acts 3:18-19, that Peter understood that the Messiah had to suffer for our sins to be wiped out.
Actually, you are reading that into the bible there so its far from clear. Just because the word repent appears in Peter's sermon in Acts 3:18-19, does not mean the same as what Paul meant in 1 Cor 15:1-4.

Peter is accusing the Jews of murdering Jesus. The idea of repentance for them can be viewed from the parable of the tenants, told in all 3 synoptic gospels. (Matthew 21:33-46; Mark 12:1-12; Luke 20:9-19)

When Jesus and the 12 were preaching from Matt-John, they need to repent of rejecting God their Father in the OT, and believe in his Son is their promised King and Messiah, as foretold by their prophets. The Jewish nation had rejected and killed many of those prophets.

God had mercy on them and now decided to send his Son to them now. But as Jesus told them in the parable of the tenants, they were wicked and decided to slay the son instead, thinking they can then take control of the vineyard. The words they told Pilate was really horrific from this perspective

Matthew 27:25 Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.

When Jesus was on the cross, he asked his father to forgive them for this act, because they know not what they do, the Father agreed to Jesus request.

So when Peter urged his Jewish brothers at Pentecost to repent (Acts 2:38), they are to repent from their horrific act of murdering the Son of God, and accept him once again as the Son of God and their King, since Jesus's resurrection showed, as Peter stated, he is indeed the Messiah and the Son of God. (Acts 2:36)

But of course the Nation did not, only a remnant of them did, so God blinded the nation temporary, setting his secret plan in motion to save us Gentiles, independent of Israel.

Peter, unlike what so many believe, did not preach to the Jews that Jesus died for their sins and rose again as a sign that all their sins are forever put away, which is 1 Cor 15:1-4

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
Actually, you are reading that into the bible there so its far from clear. Just because the word repent appears in Peter's sermon in Acts 3:18-19, does not mean the same as what Paul meant in 1 Cor 15:1-4.

Peter is accusing the Jews of murdering Jesus. The idea of repentance for them can be viewed from the parable of the tenants, told in all 3 synoptic gospels. (Matthew 21:33-46; Mark 12:1-12; Luke 20:9-19)

When Jesus and the 12 were preaching from Matt-John, they need to repent of rejecting God their Father in the OT, and believe in his Son is their promised King and Messiah, as foretold by their prophets. The Jewish nation had rejected and killed many of those prophets.

God had mercy on them and now decided to send his Son to them now. But as Jesus told them in the parable of the tenants, they were wicked and decided to slay the son instead, thinking they can then take control of the vineyard. The words they told Pilate was really horrific from this perspective

Matthew 27:25 Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.

When Jesus was on the cross, he asked his father to forgive them for this act, because they know not what they do, the Father agreed to Jesus request.

So when Peter urged his Jewish brothers at Pentecost to repent (Acts 2:38), they are to repent from their horrific act of murdering the Son of God, and accept him once again as the Son of God and their King, since Jesus's resurrection showed, as Peter stated, he is indeed the Messiah and the Son of God. (Acts 2:36)

But of course the Nation did not, only a remnant of them did, so God blinded the nation temporary, setting his secret plan in motion to save us Gentiles, independent of Israel.

Peter, unlike what so many believe, did not preach to the Jews that Jesus died for their sins and rose again as a sign that all their sins are forever put away, which is 1 Cor 15:1-4
I see nothing in 1Co 15:1-4 that states that Jesus' death and resurrection is "a sign that all their sins are forever put away." What translation are you referencing?

In Ac 2:38 sin is not singular it is plural, as it is in Ac 3:19. Their need for repentance went far beyond their part in murdering the Son of God.

Jan 12, 2019
I see nothing in 1Co 15:1-4 that states that Jesus' death and resurrection is "a sign that all their sins are forever put away." What translation are you referencing?

In Ac 2:38 sin is not singular it is plural, as it is in Ac 3:19. Their need for repentance went far beyond their part in murdering the Son of God.
I have already stated using the parable of tenants that the Jews have been rejecting God since the OT, the murdering of the Son was thus the finale.

As for your first paragraph, this is not a debate on OSAS so let's not go into that. The point is still Peter was not preaching 1 Cor 15:1-4.

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
I have already stated using the parable of tenants that the Jews have been rejecting God since the OT, the murdering of the Son was thus the finale.

As for your first paragraph, this is not a debate on OSAS so let's not go into that. The point is still Peter was not preaching 1 Cor 15:1-4.
What part of this are you claiming that Peter did not preach until nearing the end of his life?

1Co 15:1-4 (ESV). [1] Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, [2] and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. [3] For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, [4] that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures

Jan 12, 2019
What part of this are you claiming that Peter did not preach until nearing the end of his life?

1Co 15:1-4 (ESV). [1] Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, [2] and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. [3] For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, [4] that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures
Peter used Christ death as a murder indictment for the Jews and his resurrection as proof that he was indeed the Son of God and their promised Messiah.

That is not what 1 Cor 15:1-4 is saying.

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
Peter used Christ death as a murder indictment for the Jews and his resurrection as proof that he was indeed the Son of God and their promised Messiah.

That is not what 1 Cor 15:1-4 is saying.
Are you saying that Paul didn't preach Christ's death as a murder indictment, or that he didn't preach Christ's resurrection as proof that he was indeed the Son of God and the promised Messiah?

Jan 12, 2019
Are you saying that Paul didn't preach Christ's death as a murder indictment, or that he didn't preach Christ's resurrection as proof that he was indeed the Son of God and the promised Messiah?
No, I am not saying that. He might have preached that to the Jews too.

What he deemed as "my gospel" to the Gentiles, was the good news in 1 Cor 15:1-4.