How that conversation might go...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

Ariel82

there are godly women who want to be missionaries... its not what their father want for them but its what they want for themselves that ultimately matter....my mother doesn't like me living so far away but she understand we have to move to where my husband can find work. ...that's life. IF you feel called to the mission field then so will the person God intends for you to marry.

anyway I don't see why you can't have the picket fence, 2.5 kids and adventure as well. my husband encouraged me to take the international teaching internship in South Africa for 5 weeks starting in October. He has arranged for his grandmother to stay with him and our two kids when I'm overseas.

we have discussed when our kids are older (they are only 4 and 6) now, but when they are older we would as a family take some mission trips and help internationally to build churches and schools. we talked about visiting friends and family from all over the world. He told me I could spend a week in Paris with my cousin after my teaching trip in South Africa because we both value family and being able to stay connected and love to travel and explore the world together. the only thing stopping us is finances and duties at home.

As Nods says, if you love the other person enough, you would follow them anywhere that God leads them because when you are married you are not two people but One person in two bodies. God doesn't just lead ONE of the couple but BOTH to do His work and His ministry.

When God gave the instruction in Eden to Adam about the fruit from the tree of Good and Evil, was Eve exempt just because it was not directly told her?

I

iraasuup

I have mixed opinions on this. Like a lot of women, of course I want to have a family, and a 'secure' life... BUT I'm also very adventurous.

I will go anywhere with him, if that's where God is calling us to be. I wouldn't mind where we lived, as long as we were together and whatever we were doing was glorifying God.

I think 'security' these days is often misrepresented as 'owning a house, having cash in the bank, and investment portfolios' etc, but what about security in Christ, security in knowing you spouse loves you so much, it doesn't matter what life throws your way, you know you have someone holding your hand through it? That's the kind of relationship I want. The city we live in, car we drive, house we own etc is all superfluous if you ask me.

Trust me, I'm not just saying this without any experience up my sleeve either.. someone the other night referred to me as a 'Pioneer' woman hehe cos I've made sacrifices, and choices MANY women wouldn't make for the sake of the man in my life at the time.. choice some deemed as foolish.. all because I put my trust in God and not in myself. I have lived in less than ideal situations.. a lot of women likely wouldn't have coped with some of the things I had to endure. I'm not saying this to blow my own horn, because I am ANYTHING but perfect. Life has thrown me BUCKETS of lemons recently, but I had to make a concious choice.. do I sit and be sour or do I make lemonade? The road is never easy believe me, but after the long journey a glass of lemonade is most refreshing!

I think it's all in our attitude. I don't know what my future holds. I don't know if I'll ever be in another relationship, if I'll ever get married again, but I do know God is in control, come what may. I am an adventurous kind of girl. I can be impetuous, but I figure life is for the living. I've alwasy been the kind of person who wants to try new things.. (you nevr know if you don't try right?) I'm not saying we should go out and do unwise things, but being open to new ideas, and willing to try different things, is an adventure in itself I think.

Feb 10, 2008
I have mixed opinions on this. Like a lot of women, of course I want to have a family, and a 'secure' life... BUT I'm also very adventurous.

I will go anywhere with him, if that's where God is calling us to be. I wouldn't mind where we lived, as long as we were together and whatever we were doing was glorifying God.

I think 'security' these days is often misrepresented as 'owning a house, having cash in the bank, and investment portfolios' etc, but what about security in Christ, security in knowing you spouse loves you so much, it doesn't matter what life throws your way, you know you have someone holding your hand through it? That's the kind of relationship I want. The city we live in, car we drive, house we own etc is all superfluous if you ask me.

Trust me, I'm not just saying this without any experience up my sleeve either.. someone the other night referred to me as a 'Pioneer' woman hehe cos I've made sacrifices, and choices MANY women wouldn't make for the sake of the man in my life at the time.. choice some deemed as foolish.. all because I put my trust in God and not in myself. I have lived in less than ideal situations.. a lot of women likely wouldn't have coped with some of the things I had to endure. I'm not saying this to blow my own horn, because I am ANYTHING but perfect. Life has thrown me BUCKETS of lemons recently, but I had to make a concious choice.. do I sit and be sour or do I make lemonade? The road is never easy believe me, but after the long journey a glass of lemonade is most refreshing!

I think it's all in our attitude. I don't know what my future holds. I don't know if I'll ever be in another relationship, if I'll ever get married again, but I do know God is in control, come what may. I am an adventurous kind of girl. I can be impetuous, but I figure life is for the living. I've alwasy been the kind of person who wants to try new things.. (you nevr know if you don't try right?) I'm not saying we should go out and do unwise things, but being open to new ideas, and willing to try different things, is an adventure in itself I think.
The couples I have most aspired to be like were also the ones who most struggled with financial "stability" but were so firmly rooted in love(God) that they truly were secure.

Liamson, don't give up hope. God can make anything He desires out of clay, follow and you never know what will happen.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQE5PNRLZ40[/video]

Last edited:

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
Unfortunately I think, with rare exceptions like Jullianna and Catlyn, the reply coming from a lot of women would be: Not this again! The last time you got a hair brained idea like this we ended up wandering in the desert for 40 years! You must be having one of those midlife crisis things and if you don't figure out how to grow up and get over it I'm going to be setting an appointment with my attorney because I just can't live this way anymore!

Just from my own experience, most women today want their house with a white picket fence, 2.3 kids, the family dog. They want a quiet, financially secure life free of "childish" things like adventure.
No one truly wants suffering I think... takes some courage to take it for the Glory of God.

The amount of emphasis many put on financial security in particular sickens me, the thing is though that I don't feel a lot of this pressure comes from the single Women themselves, at least not the ones I know. :)

Stick with it Liamson!

G

GRA

The amount of emphasis many put on financial security in particular sickens me, ...
There IS a difference between 'financial security' and 'financial indulgence'. (luxury)

Financial security provides for such things as the stability-of-daily-routine so that such things as Bible reading and study - not to mention eating, etc. - may be done daily without great distraction - due to the severe lack of stability-of-daily-routine -- because of the severe lack of affordability of things needed to preserve the stability-of-daily-routine...

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
What do we truly need? Food shelter, clothing.

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[a]? 28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

In marriage vows we promise 'For richer or poorer'.

Do people mean this or just say this?

J

Jullianna

I have been richer and I have been poorer. Neither affects who I am. As a matter of fact, I think I've been far happier in times when I've had less. Taking care of stuff can be very distracting.

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
I've been very Rich. I could be again and probably will be soon-ish.

However, I've been very poor too.

The friends that I've had through both will always be my friends.

What matter's more to me than, wealth or poverty is freedom. I would rather be debt free and make a pittance than have a 6 figure income and feel chained to the bottom of a lake of debt.

Owing someone something is not a feeling I can easily live with.