How To Find a Spiritual Mentor in Your Church

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
How To Find a Spiritual Mentor in Your Church

Have you been looking for a spiritual mentor but hit a brick wall? This is how it finally happened for me. Hopefully, my experience will guide you to finding a mentor much quicker.

Don't Let It Take So Long!

It took me six years and lots of prayer, but I finally found a spiritual mentor to come alongside me to help me grow.

I was walking out of the sanctuary one Sunday morning, and out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of an older gentleman whom I recognized. He happened to be a longtime client of mine before the COVID lockdowns. Since my business was destroyed by the government, I had not seen him since.

Let the Holy Spirit Lead You

The Holy Spirit prompted me to start a conversation. At first, I didn't want to, but I finally gave in to the Lord's gentle nudging.

After a few pleasantries, the talk immediately turned to discipleship. He explained how he was active with a small group of men on Sunday mornings before service. The aim was to help individuals realize their true potential and, ultimately, fill leadership gaps in the church.

I knew this man was a Christian, but I didn't know he was so active in discipleship and mentoring. I was ecstatic! I asked if I could sit in, and he said yes.

Look In the Right Places

Surprisingly, he was not an elder. The reason for that, he explained, was his desire to avoid distractions. In other words, he simply wanted to make disciples without all the church politics standing in the way. I can certainly respect that.

The Biggest Mistake When Searching for a Mentor

Who's the one person everyone thinks of when looking for a spiritual mentor? The pastor, right?

Unfortunately, this notion is naive at best. The Hollywood persona of the pastor being this pious figure in a robe, studying in some candle-lit office, waiting for someone to enter their chambers with a spiritual problem is pure fantasy. Sure, maybe 100 years ago, but not in 2023.

The role of the senior pastor today is that of administrator. Even if only in charge of a small space in a strip mall – and a congregation of 50 or less – his role remains the same. He was taught at seminary not to exceed those boundaries. He was taught to delegate the responsibility of discipleship, no matter how small his church. He could have only 12 to mentor, and it will still be the same.

What About the Associate Pastor?

In most cases, associate and assistant pastors are assigned specific ministries, for example:

• Music and sound
  • Kids ministries
  • Young adult ministries
  • Overseas ministries
  • Discipleship ministries

This last one is worth mentioning. You may have to search hundreds of churches before finding a discipleship program, but they are out there.

However, even if you're fortunate enough to find one, it may be in a church where you have doctrinal differences. For example, let's suppose you're a longtime Baptist and find a discipleship program in a Pentecostal church. Asking yourself to completely change the way you worship and pray could cause some difficulties, as it did for me.

Still, you could be blessed to have an associate pastor in your church teach a discipleship class. But unfortunately, these often end up as group bible studies, and when there is less than a headcount of about 15, they tend to fall away "due to lack of interest."

What About the Elders?

The elders in most churches are similar to associate pastors, except they don't get paid. They do a lot of the heavy lifting already and are often too busy with their regular jobs. Besides, just as with associate and assistant pastors, any discipleship programs are really group bible studies with not much one-on-one interaction.

So, How Can You Find a Mentor?
Again, most people start at the top of the church's hierarchal pyramid. But the problem there is that everyone is so busy. For this reason, it's best to work your way up from the bottom of the pyramid.

Start With the Older Folks
Start with the oldest person you know in your local church who is not an elder. Introduce yourself to them and ask if they know of anyone who is doing any mentoring. Chances are, they have been with the church long enough to know who is willing and who is not.

Unfortunately, you will have to reach out to older people since the younger ones may not even know what you're talking about. It also may take several attempts while talking to several people.

But keep at it. There is bound to be at least one person in your local church willing to come alongside you. If not, it may be time to move on.

If you have other secrets to finding a spiritual mentor – other than converting to Buddhism, JW, or paganism – please let us know!

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
TLDR:

Find an elderly person who has the kind of life you want to have. Ask them for advice and observe how they live.

seekingthemindofChrist

Casting down imaginations
Jul 10, 2023
I DID IT!!!

JUST LIKE YOU SAID!!!

I FOUND THE OLDEST MAN IN MY CHURCH, AND I ASKED HIM TO MENTOR ME!!!

sleeping_man.jpg

Umm, I do not know how to say this, but he has not given me an answer yet.

In fact, I am not sure that he is even still breathing.

lol.

I am sorry.

Pardon my idiotic interruption.

You actually gave some practical advice, Steve.

Good on you.

God bless you.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Isn't God like, reallllly old?

seekingthemindofChrist

Jul 10, 2023
  • Idiotic
  • Disparaging
  • Self-righteous
  • Sinical
  • Proud
  • Vitriolic
  • Stupid
  • Moronoc
  • Childish
Hey, Steve.

Two things.

1. "Foolish jesting" is definitely a sin which still, at times, "easily besets me". I am working on it, and I have actually improved, but not fully. For that, I sincerely apologize.

2. Your response was wayyyyyy over the top. Outlandish, actually. You apparently need more mentoring yourself.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
  • Idiotic
  • Disparaging
  • Self-righteous
  • Sinical
  • Proud
  • Vitriolic
  • Stupid
  • Moronoc
  • Childish
Isn't your reply, like, I dunno, dude, like, totally irreverent to our Lord?
Well aren't YOU just a cheerful little sunbeam!

I don't know if you've noticed, but here in Singles we're a bit more polite to each other than that.

Also you misspelled "Cynical."

Also there was nothing "Vitriolic" in what seekingthemindofchrist said. " Idiotic," "Stupid," "Childish" are all your opinions, hence debatable, but "Vitriolic" is objectively wrong.

Also you misspelled "Moronic." Which I find moderately amusing.

seekingthemindofChrist

Jul 10, 2023

I don't know if you've noticed, but here in Singles we're a bit more polite to each other than that.

Also there was nothing "Vitriolic" in what seekingthemindofchrist said. " Idiotic," "Stupid," "Childish" are all your opinions, hence debatable, but "Vitriolic" is objectively wrong.

Several of his adjectives were, well, motivated by his own pride.

Disparaging?

Vitriolic?

For crying out loud, I told him that he gave some practical advice, told him that it was good on him, and ended with "God bless you".

If his response was not a tremendously proud overreaction, then i have never seen one.

That said, I do still humbly apologize for my attempt at humor which apparently missed the mark considerably.

selahsays

May 31, 2023
Jesus Christ is our Intercessor, our Mediator and our Advocate. He is the Word of God. Abiding in Him, we have a Wonderful Shepherd, and yes, a perfect mentor. HalleluYAH. IMG_5750.gif

Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

- Romans 8:26-27 IMG_5750.gif

For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time,

- 1 Timothy 2:5-6

My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

- 1 John 2:1-2

IMG_0845.jpg

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
He's the Ancient of Days

When you a babe in Christ, everyone else in the Lord is older than you.

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
Jesus Christ is our Intercessor, our Mediator and our Advocate. He is the Word of God. Abiding in Him, we have a Wonderful Shepherd, and yes, a perfect mentor. HalleluYAH
Yeah, but don't you think it's kinda bad that most people are trying to walk alone in their Christian faith? An earthly mentor would be nice if only to help the one teaching grow even more. :)

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
He's the Ancient of Days
I'm glad you recognize that. I was beginning to wonder for a minute due to your disparaging language toward him.

Don't make fun of my God! :)

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
Thank you.

I believe in this scripture:

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Philippians 4:4

BTW, I originally misspelled Philippians, but I couldn't take any more of your arrogant sneering, so I double and triple-checked just for you. I happen to live in the US, where I get to misspell any word I want and not care what anyone else thinks, especially a stranger. If you don't, I feel sorry for you and would encourage you to petition your government for more rights.

No. I hadn't noticed any politeness at all, come to think of it.

What else do you find amusing? Are you one of those people who will write "WASH ME" on someone's dirty car? Are you willing to spray paint someone else's house if they get into an argument with a friend? Do you beat up homeless people begging in the street?

I sure hope not. Yet, I can't help but notice your thirst for revenge. Revenge posting is a common practice for a lot of atheists, even toward each other. Fortunately, very few practicing Christians do it. It's mostly the really immature ones who don't know any better.

Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” Romans 12:19

Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called,
that you may obtain a blessing. 1 Peter 3:9

“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. Matthew 5:38-39

Godsgirl1983

Feb 2, 2023
Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” Romans 12:19

Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called,
that you may obtain a blessing. 1 Peter 3:9

“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. Matthew 5:38-39
So then why do you reply with something like:
I happen to live in the US, where I get to misspell any word I want and not care what anyone else thinks, especially a stranger.
Do you realize this type of attitude (which is very prevalent here in the US- and not just among the youth) of "I can do what I want and not care" is a very self centered, rebellious attitude. And do you realize what scripture likens rebellion to?

seekingthemindofChrist

Jul 10, 2023
A woman bearing a sword?

Be afraid.

Be very afraid.

In all seriousness, I am sorry that what was intended to be a joke caused such an uproar.

I am officially bowing out of this thread for good, and this forum for a bit.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
A woman bearing a sword?

Be afraid.

Be very afraid.

In all seriousness, I am sorry that what was intended to be a joke caused such an uproar.

I thought it was funny. I didn't see anything offensive in it. And you apologized. It's up to the offended to forgive. Don't let it bother you.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
A woman bearing a sword?

Be afraid.

Be very afraid.

I thought it was a funny joke.

Don't let one rogue newbie ruin a good time. I'm just getting warmed up. :cool:

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
What else do you find amusing? Are you one of those people who will write "WASH ME" on someone's dirty car? Are you willing to spray paint someone else's house if they get into an argument with a friend? Do you beat up homeless people begging in the street?

I sure hope not. Yet, I can't help but notice your thirst for revenge. Revenge posting is a common practice for a lot of atheists, even toward each other. Fortunately, very few practicing Christians do it. It's mostly the really immature ones who don't know any better.
Actually I often wipe off the "Wash me" signs when I see them. There's no profit in that junk. And "No" on the spray paint and beatings, for the same reason.

Revenge? Revenge for what? You haven't even done anything to me. How could I take revenge for nothing?

You blast into this forum and start slinging wild accusations. Who in the frosty void are you? You have been here since 2018 but you have little interaction with us here in this forum. We don't know anything about you, so we have no reason to take your accusations seriously.

Now if you stick around, talk to people for a while, let us get a good sense of what kind of person you are, then when you make accusations we will have a basis for how we should take them.